Are you a mafia werewolf?

Popular word games for time well wasted.

Moderator:Æron

Feefers
Are you a mafia werewolf?

Postby Feefers » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:23 am

I didn't see any threads of Mafia/Are you a Werefolf so I thought i'd set one up.

The game has all the players in a group, generally in a situation where they are all trapped in or by something. Within the group there are townies and there are mafia.

The Townies:
These are the good guys, the people who just want to escape and go home. Some of these may have abilities that are individual to themselves or a small group. If your character has a power like this then you will be informed of it as the game begins.

As a townie you will win the game when there are only townies left alive.

The Mafia:
These are the bad guys of the situation. They are there to try to kill off all the townies so that they are the only ones left standing at the end. They will generally be involved with the situation that everyone finds themselves in and will be using it to their own advantage. The mafia also have powers, most notably an ability to kill a player.

The game is split into to main sections, the Day phase and the Night phase.

The Day:
During the day, all players may post in the thread. Discuss what has happened the previous night and anything they want to talk about. Unless your specific ability states otherwise, you may not use PMs during this time. This is the time for talking with your fellow townies about what to do to survive the situation you all find yourselves in. This is the only place that you can discuss Mafia as a game, using outside communication like PM, email or IM is against the rules.

Also, during the conversations of the day you are able to cast votes on other players who you think may be mafia. If a person gets more votes than half the players they are lynched. When this happens the players all mob together to kill the lynched party, thus removing them from the game. This is how the townies eliminate the mafia players.

The Night:
During the night, nobody may post to the thread. If you have a night action ability, this is where it can be used. During this time it is understood that all the characters have retired to bed for the night. Some players may have a communication ability, it is during the night phase that this ability can be used. When selecting to use your night action, decide what it is you will be doing and then PM the game runner with your choice.

At the end of the night phase the game runner will PM people that require an answer to their night action and anyone else who has had anything happen to them that night.

The game ends when there are either only Townies or Mafia left alive.
READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULLY, THIS IS YOUR WARNING!

1.) During the game's nights, everyone who has to do so sends me a PM. Many of you have nighttime abilities making it crucial to be prompt with your nighttime PM's. I may impose a deadline, if I do so I will post it in the game thread. I will try to give at least 48 hours notice of a deadline, with a minimum of 24 hours. If you don't send in your choice by the deadline, a random choice will be made, a default choice will be made, or no choice will be made, depending on your role.

2.) In the "morning" I announce the events of the night.

3.) During the daytime you discuss and vote to lynch someone. I will announce beforehand how many votes are required for a lynch. I may impose a deadline, if I do so I will post it in the game thread. I will try to give at least 48 hours notice of a deadline, with a minimum of 24 hours.

4.) Votes must be in bold and of the format Vote: Fionacat. I do not care about capitalization, but I do care about spelling. If you revote, a unvote for your previous vote is understood - you do not have to unvote unless you wish to refrain from voting at that time. Votes in quotes are not counted as votes.

5.) Once a majority is reached, that person gets lynched. You may continue to post during twilight (while you walk home) but you may not post at night. The night arrives when I post that it is night. Again, I will not be forgiving on this AT ALL.

6.) The person with a simple majority gets lynched. HALF THE VOTE IS NOT A MAJORITY. If a deadline is set, the person with the most votes will be lynched as long as that person has half the majority (example: 15 players, meaning 8 to lynch. When the deadline hits the person with 4 or more votes is lynched. In the case of there being a tie or less than half the majority there will be no lynch).

7.) You may vote to not lynch anyone. A majority of vote: no lynch votes will end the day without a lynching.

8.) You may NOT vote for yourself.

9.) Under no circumstance are you allowed to quote any PMs from me or others. If there are questions on this, PM me first. I will allow more if you ask than I will forgive if you don't. FAILURE TO COMPLY WILL GET YOU MODKILLED.

10.) Do not edit or delete your posts. Not even to fix BB Code. Not even lightning editing. Double posting is preferred. Or triple posting. Or getting it right the first time. FAILURE TO COMPLY WILL GET YOU MODKILLED.

11.) Do not post invisitext. Do not post in white, despite the fact that white is indeed not invisitext. FAILURE TO COMPLY WILL GET YOU MODKILLED.

12.) Do not post at night. Period. FAILURE TO COMPLY WILL GE-- (you get the idea.)

13.) Do not use the game to post whore. In other words, no one-liners, try to post some content. Rather than just posting a vote, explain why you're voting that way. FAILURE TO COMPLY WILL NOT ONLY GET YOU MODKILLED BUT REPORTED TO NEIL, TOO.

14.) If you wish to quit, don't be an ass and commit suicide via mod-killing. PM me and I will find a replacement for you instead.

15.) Do not discuss this game via Instant Messenger, E-mails or IRL unless your roles allow it.

16.) If you are dead, you are dead. Do not post any information afterwards. You are allowed one "Bah" post, but that's it.

17.) This is a family show. No swearing on the game thread please, or a little accident may befall you.

18.) If you anticipate being away for more than 48 hours, please make note of this on the game thread, or I may make moves to replace you.

19.) Please do your bit to make the show enjoyable for all concerned. Abuse of other players will not be tolerated!

This thread can also be used for any questions players have outside the games. If you have a question while playing a game and it is related to the character you are playing, it would be better for you to PM the person running the game.

Feefers

Postby Feefers » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:26 am

Town Roles

The Cop
The cop is a townie who has the ability to investigate other players. Each night they may send the game mod the name of someone they want to investigate, and the mod will PM them back and say if that person is guilty or innocent.
Yes you can investigate yourself if you want.

The Doctor
The Doctor is a townie who has the ability to protect another player from harm at Night. Each night they may send the game mod the name of a pleysr they want to protect, and if someone tries to kill that player, they will be saved from death.
No you can't protect yourself.

The Roleblocker
The roleblocker is a townie with the power to prevent others from taking their actions. Each night the may PM the game mod with the name of a player they want to stop, and if that player submits an action during that night, it will be prevented.
Yes you can (oddly) prevent yourself preventing yourself, it becomes a little meta and everyone cries.

The Vigilante
The vigilante is a townie with the power to kill other players. Each night they may PM the game mod with the name of a player they want to eliminate. That player will be killed.
Yes you can have yourself killed, but why would you want to?

The Regular Townie
This is the role most players will have. A generic townie with no Night actions.

Non-Town Roles

The Godfather
The Godfather is the head of a Mafia. They may talk at Night with other members of their Mafia. Each night, they must send the game mod the name of a player they would like to eliminate, and which member of their Mafia they would like to carry it out. Godfathers often have one or more Nightkill immunities, and normally seem innocent to investigations by cops.

The Goon
The Goon is a regular member of a Mafia family. They are able to talk to other members of their Mafia family at Night, and will be sent by their Godfather to kill townies.

The Serial Killer
The Serial Killer is one of the most difficult roles to play. A Serial Killer is a Godfather without a Mafia, and must eliminate all the other players to win.

Feefers

Postby Feefers » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:32 am

So first game sign up; 18 player game.

1 Muffinsticks
2 Hyperion
3 Doc Sigma
4 Segovia
** 8<Small>8 **
Last edited by Feefers on Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MuffinSticks

Postby MuffinSticks » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:51 am

This sounds like an incredibly interesting game. I might even participate. Gasp.

Questions first, though. When the cop investigates someone and they are told if the suspect is guilty or innocent, are you told what role they are? Or, for example, the results of your investigation would just tell you whether or not they are mafia (with the exception of godfather and serial killer)? Or are you told if they are guilty of a particular murder, or what?

Also, I didn't see anything in the rules about public notification of roles. Do people just have to claim they are a certain role, and hope the others believe them?

And I can see this game getting extremely complicated when it comes to personal strategy, deceptive plans, alliances and whatnot. Very intriguing.
КТО ТРОГАЛ МОЯ ПУШКА

<Muninn> Too furry for saneville, too girly for boystown
see, how far raine dog got placed in the background? take that you blue bitch

Hyperion

Postby Hyperion » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:29 am

I repeat MuffinStick's questions, and will be joining this if we actually get enough people. (Which seems unlikely with the current amount of activity)
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Avatar by kurorakuen, Shienvien. Used with permission.

Feefers

Postby Feefers » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:18 pm

Questions first, though.

When the cop investigates someone and they are told if the suspect is guilty or innocent, are you told what role they are?
It does depend, there's a live action version where you just get a thumbs up (guilty) or thumbs down (innocenct) so that the cop can just point, in the forum version it can be expanded so that you get a guilty/innocent and role if any.
Also, I didn't see anything in the rules about public notification of roles. Do people just have to claim they are a certain role, and hope the others believe them?
Yup! And worse of course because some people are trying to kill you; declaring this could end up with you being dead so might not be the best idea...
And I can see this game getting extremely complicated when it comes to personal strategy, deceptive plans, alliances and whatnot. Very intriguing.
It can indeed, it should mostly however be fun.

As for player numbers, there is a "short" game which can be played with less but the more folks you get on board the better the game (and the more special roles you get)

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:23 pm

I'd like to play, but I have a few questions...

If you have the ability to "talk to people at night" (Godfather, etc), do you do it via direct PMs with the people you want to talk to, or does the game runner facilitate it?

Does the Godfather know who all of the Goons are? Do the Goons know who the Godfather is? Do the Goons know who the other Goons are?

Can the Serial Killer kill people directly, or does he need to use psychology and, like, be more subtle about it all (getting people lynched, getting Goons to kill people, etc)?

Feefers

Postby Feefers » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:40 pm

If you have the ability to "talk to people at night" (Godfather, etc), do you do it via direct PMs with the people you want to talk to, or does the game runner facilitate it?
It works best when done via the game runner so then both the person talking and the person responding are in the dark.
Does the Godfather know who all of the Goons are? Do the Goons know who the Godfather is? Do the Goons know who the other Goons are?
The godfather knows how his goons are but the goons don't know who the godfather is or who other goons are, yes it quite often happens the goons kill off the godfather or each other.
Can the Serial Killer kill people directly, or does he need to use psychology and, like, be more subtle about it all (getting people lynched, getting Goons to kill people, etc)?
It's a directed kill action, you just do it at night like the goons pm the game runner and say who you want to kill, in the morning they wake up dead, ideally the goons and serial killer will also use psychology to convince people it wasn't them.

Once we've got enogth player I'll make a new thread for the actual game, it maybe worth asking TPTB for a new subforum even as the game can at times become quite high traffic post.

sad jazz cantaloupe

Postby sad jazz cantaloupe » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:18 pm

This is a really fun game, but seriously? it's the kind of game you play in real life, taking it to the internet seems like it takes the best aspect out of it. Because on the internet you have to give all that extremely TL;DR text above my post that I didn't read, rather than just explain it and play along as you go
Apologies to everyone. Except Fritz.
First of all, Fritz, do yourself a favor and research your own answers before you post.

Segovia

Postby Segovia » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:40 pm

Even though this thread is TL; DR material, I forced myself to read it all. Count me in on this game. I may need help with the rules though.

MuffinSticks

Postby MuffinSticks » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:12 pm

Segovia will mess it up a bunch and I will laugh.
КТО ТРОГАЛ МОЯ ПУШКА

<Muninn> Too furry for saneville, too girly for boystown
see, how far raine dog got placed in the background? take that you blue bitch

Segovia

Postby Segovia » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:33 pm

It gives you something to look foward to, don't it?

Gecko

Postby Gecko » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:00 am

It gives you something to look foward to, don't it?
Yes.
Anami and Anami are sitting around Anami says "GRR I AM ANGSTY LET'S EXPRESS ANGST" and so Anami says "ONE OF THE MODS ON DC IS A DICK I POSTED A PICTURE THAT WASN'T REALLY THAT INAPPROPRIATE AND THREE MODS SAW IT AND DID NOTHING THEN A FOURTH ONE SAW IT AND DELETED IT" and Anami says "OMG I HATE MODS >:("

Feefers

Postby Feefers » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:59 pm

Anami, sad jazz cantaloupe do you want to play to, if so we'd just need 2 more for a short game.

8 player short game by the way is 2 mafia, 1 cop and 1 doctor, everyone else townies.

Gecko

Postby Gecko » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:33 pm

I love this game in person, but over the internet... nah.
Anami and Anami are sitting around Anami says "GRR I AM ANGSTY LET'S EXPRESS ANGST" and so Anami says "ONE OF THE MODS ON DC IS A DICK I POSTED A PICTURE THAT WASN'T REALLY THAT INAPPROPRIATE AND THREE MODS SAW IT AND DID NOTHING THEN A FOURTH ONE SAW IT AND DELETED IT" and Anami says "OMG I HATE MODS >:("

Return to “Forum Games”