Riddle Minute

Popular word games for time well wasted.

Moderator:Æron

Hyperion

Postby Hyperion » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:24 am

What? You want the Greek titan who doesn't share a name with the planet? Meaning Cronus, or Kronos. :?:
It is Cronus the Greek god of time.
Cronus is a titan, not a god. Chronos is the personification of time. Get your mythology right before using it in a riddle.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Avatar by kurorakuen, Shienvien. Used with permission.

Segovia

Postby Segovia » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:28 am

What? You want the Greek titan who doesn't share a name with the planet? Meaning Cronus, or Kronos. :?:
It is Cronus the Greek god of time.
Cronus is a titan, not a god. Chronos is the personification of time. Get your mythology right before using it in a riddle.
Them's fighten words. Also I got everything else right. Lay off.

sad jazz cantaloupe

Postby sad jazz cantaloupe » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:33 am

WHY is Saturn not acceptible, and WHY did you tell me I read about this in my literature? :evil:
I still don't understand why Cronus is acceptible but Saturn is not.

Segovia

Postby Segovia » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:38 am

It is depending on the person who asking the questions.

I perfer the greek names of the planets since they are the original and therefore the best.

sad jazz cantaloupe

Postby sad jazz cantaloupe » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:39 am

that doesn't mean that Saturn is a wrong answer. it's pure semantics.

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:04 pm

Yeah, plus the whole "witness has a million rings" part makes the actual-planetary-names answer much more, well... correct.

You're on an island where everybody falls into one of two categories: people who always lie during the day and always tell the truth at night, and people who always tell the truth during the day and always lie at night. There's no way to tell them apart otherwise (they all look the same, etc). You're currently in an underground city on this island. There are no clocks, the surface world is not visible anywhere, and it is artificially lit by electric streetlights. You happen across an island inhabitant, and you'd like to know whether it's daytime or nighttime. What one question do you ask him?

(There's more than one acceptable answer to this one.)

sad jazz cantaloupe

Postby sad jazz cantaloupe » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:11 pm

"do you want to have sex?"

because then when you have sex with them you will be able to determine if they were lying or not... I'm sure you can somehow determine the time of day through that.

Segovia

Postby Segovia » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:12 am

THis is making my brain hurt. The problem is I'm coming up with questions to figure out whether they're lying but they're not suffiecent in telling what time of day it is.

Hyperion

Postby Hyperion » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:20 am

"If I asked someone of the opposite time-based truthfulness whether it was day or night, what would they respond?" The correct answer would be the reverse of whatever they respond, as if they're saying the truth in their answer it will be what a liar would say; whereas if it's someone who is in the liar time they would lie and say the lie anyway... I think.

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:42 am

"If I were to ask you the question 'what time of day is it?' twelve hours in the future, what would you say?" The answer will always be a lie, and therefore the same as the current time of day.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:25 pm

You're both correct! Those are the only two answers I know of, but there may be more.

Okay now someone else post a riddle

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:47 pm

A box contains three black hats and two white hats. Fred, James and John take a hat each from the box and place it on their heads. None of them can see which hat is on their own head, nor do they know which hats are in the box, but they do know the total quantity of each colour of hat. Fred can see John's hat and James's hat, John can see James's hat, and James cannot see any hats. Each person is asked in turn which hat they have on their head. Fred says "I don't know." John says "I don't know." What does James say?
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

sad jazz cantaloupe

Postby sad jazz cantaloupe » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:12 pm

Black.

Fred can't tell, therefore James and John cannot both be wearing white hats.

So, John knows that if James is wearing a white hat, then John is wearing a black hat. But John does not know which hat he is wearing, therefore James is not wearing a white hat.

lol I'm proud, I've never bothered to actually think through any of these riddles
Apologies to everyone. Except Fritz.
First of all, Fritz, do yourself a favor and research your own answers before you post.

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:47 pm

Yes.

Two ladders are placed cross-wise in an alley to form a lopsided X-shape. Both walls of the alley are perpendicular to the ground. The top of the longer ladder touches the alley wall 5 feet higher than the top of the shorter ladder touches the opposite wall, which in turn is 4 feet higher than the intersection of the two ladders. How high above the ground is that intersection?

Hyperion

Re: Riddle Minute

Postby Hyperion » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:01 am

I'm bored having this same riddle still here, so I'm going to guess "4 feet".

Return to “Forum Games”