Bliz's Fire Emblem Mod (a.k.a become a video game character)

A place to talk about anything (that doesn't belong in the other forums).

Moderator:Æron

Blizzard
Bliz's Fire Emblem Mod (a.k.a become a video game character)

Postby Blizzard » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:58 am

Hi guys! I am currently working on a mod for the game Fire Emblem 7; one of the things I have been working on is custom characters, and as I move on to custom levels and possibly even a full game, I thought it would be neat to use just custom characters. I got the idea that the characters would be my friends and I, so if you'd like to be in the game, here is all the info you need for me to make your character!

Some background info:

Fire Emblem is a single player tactical RPG for the Gameboy Advanced (can be played via emulator) where you control a group of characters who face enemy armies. It is turn-based and focused on using strategy to overcome odds and challenges. This video shows some gameplay, along with custom characters I've made so far: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZMsdfZiIPI

There are physical and magic attacks that can be resisted with defense and magic defense, respectively. Speed affects things like dodging and accuracy, while power/magic power determines the damage you are capable of. There are more stats but these are the basics which will help you understand the guide.

As for weapons, there are unorthodox rare weapons that may break from this formula, but this is how the game normally works.
- Physical weapons:
Swords: Good against axes, weak against spears. Can attack units next to the wielder.
Axes: Good against spears, weak against swords. Can attack units next to the wielder.
Spears: Good against swords, weak against axes. Can attack units next to the wielder.
Bows: Good against pegasus knights and wyvern riders. Can attack units diagonal to the wielder or 1 space away from the wielder.
- Magic weapons:
Elemental magic: Good against light magic. Can attack units next to the wielder, diagonal to the wielder or 1 space away from the wielder.
Light magic: Good against dark magic. Can attack units next to the wielder, diagonal to the wielder or 1 space away from the wielder.
Dark magic: Good against elemental magic. Can attack units next to the wielder, diagonal to the wielder or 1 space away from the wielder.
Staves: Can be used on allies or enemies for varying effects, such as healing, stunning and temporarily enhancing or weakening stats.

There is no class limit, but if you are curious about our current group roster, here are the classes people have chosen:
Knight(0):
Myrmidon(1): Masa*
Mercenary(2): Aeron, Liz
Cavalier(1): Hyperion
Fighter(1): Paul*
Pirate(1): Tai
Thief(1): Bliz
Archer(2): Pranav*, Javs
Nomad(0):
Pegasus Knight(1): Patrick*
Wyvern Rider(0):
Mage(2): Sam*, Leon
Shaman(1): Flyssa
Monk(0):
Cleric(1): Tirk*
Troubadour(0):
Bard/Dancer(0):

*non-DCer

Step 1: Choose a class

Knight
Weapons: Spears, [Axes]
Great defense, but poor movement and speed. Also gains the ability to use axes when they class advance.

Myrmidon
Weapons: Swords
Very quick sword-users who have decent power but low versatility. Also gains a bonus to critical hit chance when they class advance.

Mercenary
Weapons: Swords, [Axes]
A balanced melee fighter with good stats all around. Also gains the ability to use axes when they class advance.

Soldier (custom)
Weapons: Spears
A melee fighter who specializes in spears. Also gains a bonus to critical hit chance when they class advance.

Cavalier
Weapons: Swords, Spears, [Axes]
A unit on horseback, with balanced stats. A bit weaker than the mercenary, his greater speed and versatility make up for it. Also gains the ability to use axes when they class advance.

Fighter
Weapons: Axes, [Bows]
A melee fighter focusing on power, with low speed and defense. Also gains the ability to use bows when they class advance.

Pirate
Weapons: Axes
A melee fighter who is good at traveling odd terrain, even water. Also gains a bonus to critical hit chance when they class advance.

Thief
Weapons: Swords
A sword-user who is capable of using lockpicks to open doors and chests. Very quick, but low defense and mediocre power. By class advancing, they sacrifice the ability to use lockpicks, but become much more combat capable and gain a chance to instantly kill their target, regardless of stats, upon attacking.

Archer
Weapons: Bows
Someone who uses bows to attack from a distance. Capable of using ballistae, a weapon with extreme power and even more extreme attack range, but low accuracy. Their focus on only bows allows them to be deadlier than nomads at a distance.

Nomad
Weapons: Bows, [Swords]
An archer on horseback. Cannot use ballistae, but has great movement speed. Also gains the ability to use swords when they class advance.

Pegasus Knight
Weapons: Spears, [Swords]
Units that can fly, but are extremely vulnerable against arrows. Also gains the ability to use swords when they class advance.

Wyvern Rider
Weapons: Spears, [Swords]
Units that can fly, but are extremely vulnerable against arrows. Higher strength and physical defense than a pegasus knight, but lower speed and magic defense. Also gains the ability to use swords when they class advance.

Mage
Weapons: Elemental Magic, [Staves]
A user of elemental magic, good at piercing enemy defenses but also has a very low defense stat. Also gains the ability to use staves when they class advance.

Shaman
Weapons: Dark Magic, [Staves]
A user of dark magic, very powerful but also rather slow. Also gains the ability to use staves when they class advance.

Monk
Weapons: Light Magic, [Staves]
A user of light magic, a bit lacking in power but makes up for it with superior accuracy and speed. Also gains the ability to use staves when they class advance.

Priest
Weapons: Staves, [Light Magic]
A magic user who cannot attack until they class advance, but can use staves to heal and assist allies. Also gains the ability to use light magic when they class advance.

Troubadour
Weapons: Staves, [Elemental Magic]
A unit on horseback who uses staves to heal and assist allies, but cannot attack until they class advance. Also gains the ability to use elemental magic when they class advance.

Bard / Dancer
Weapons: None
A support character who is incapable of attacking and cannot class advance. They possess the ability to grant allies multiple actions in a single turn. (May also be able to buff allies' stats, likely but not positive on that yet, depends on how the mod goes)

Step 2: Choose a portrait

Bliz is no pixel artist, so out of the faces in these links, choose one that you think looks most like you (ignoring colors and certain accessories: I can (and will) recolor and do minor edits.) Keep in mind most of them have a mini-portrait with them, you must choose one that has a mini-portrait:
http://www.spriters-resource.com/gamebo ... heet/14464
http://www.spriters-resource.com/gamebo ... heet/38458
http://www.spriters-resource.com/gamebo ... heet/38459

Also either provide a picture of yourself IRL or describe yourself so the portrait can be modified to fit you.

Step 3: Choose outfit colors

The outfits of each class have varying designs and use a different amount of colors, so choose 3 colors in order of priority. For example, if you chose black, blue and purple and chose female mage, you would end up with a black cloak (since the cloak takes up much of the model), blue underclothing and purple would be unused since the female mage model only uses two colors. This is just an example, I do not know specifically how many colors each model has, male mage probably also has 2 colors. If you want, just ask for your class model in advance and I can show you it so you can specify what part of the model should be what color.

Step 4: Confirm name

Your character name will be the same as your IRL name, but you can choose whether you want to use your full name, shortened name, or a nickname. Two characters can't have the same name so if you have the same name as someone who has volunteered, you will likely have to shorten/lengthen yours or use a nickname.

Step 5: There is no step 5

That's it! Thank you! Just reply to this post with your information! Feel free to ask if anything is unclear or you have any questions!
Last edited by Blizzard on Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:42 am, edited 8 times in total.

Æron

Re: Bliz's Fire Emblem Mod (a.k.a become a video game charac

Postby Æron » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:51 am

Merc; pic: link 2 column 1 row 5; dark green, grey, brown; Aeroneous.
Scurry, scurry, Scurryous! You might just be the murriest. You certainly are the furriest! Hurry! Scurry! Scurryous!

Tai
Staff

Postby Tai » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:09 am

Pirate/Thief/Archer/Myrm; (depending on what character you'd need)
hat dude from first link last row (but black hair).
Black (maybe grey due to hair), orange, white.
Call me Tai~

Angstwolf

Postby Angstwolf » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:16 pm

step 1:
archer~

step 2:
link 2, row 7, column 6
here is a pic of me.

step 3:
medium-dark grey, purple (i think archer only has two colors but if it has three you can just pick the third and make it look nice; i don't really care!!)

step 4:
Sasha

i'm excited to see! :D

Blizzard

Postby Blizzard » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:15 am

Here's a battle with all of the characters so far (at the time of this post being made): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8Xo34y4MUU

EDIT: I'm not sure if it's just me, but for some reason the link takes me to the middle of the video. It's not intentional, you can watch it from the start.
Last edited by Blizzard on Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

Angstwolf

Postby Angstwolf » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:32 pm

Ha! I can't believe how perfect Alyssa's character is. It looks just like her.

likeafox
Administrator

Postby likeafox » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:18 am

*swoons at Liz*

Blizzard

Postby Blizzard » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:39 am

Some updates:

1. I am indeed still doing this: there isn't a deadline for requesting a character, and I do it in my free time for practice and fun so it is no inconvenience. Feel free to request a character if you haven't yet!

2. I'm considering making a custom class, which specializes in spears. It would use only spears, even when advanced, and also gain a critical hit bonus on advancing (basically the spear counterpart of myrmidon and pirate). Would anyone actually want to use this class?

[Note relating to 1 and 2: If you've already made a character, your class is not locked - If you want to / have changed your mind about your class, just let me know and I can remake your character as a new class.]

3. There are some random character-specific things in the game, two of these being "character descriptions" and "last words". Character descriptions can be checked while identifying a character, and last words are spoken when a character is killed in combat (death is permanent in Fire Emblem).
Here's some examples from the original fire emblem:
Description: "A knight in service to House Ostia. Hector's sworn man."
Last words: "A knight of Pherae...must never falter..."

If you want to include a description and/or last words when making your character (or add them if you've already made a character), feel free to, however they are completely optional.

EDIT: I decided to make the custom class anyway.

Return to “Anything”