L4D2 lolswarm "mod"

A place to talk about anything (that doesn't belong in the other forums).

Moderator:Æron

likeafox
Administrator
L4D2 lolswarm "mod"

Postby likeafox » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:22 pm

I was playing with the console in L4D2 yesterday and ended up making a mod. It's just made up of game tweaks, but they are quite significant ones. Jeff pointed out that it is similar to the gibfest mutation.

Features
  • There are only M60s and melee weapons. And you get infinite ammo.
  • There are no special infected.
  • There are many more zombies, usually 5 times more, sometimes up to 10 times more.
  • There aren't really any crescendo events in the gameplay. Just lots and lots of zombies all the time.
Issues
  • It only works on single player for now, unfortunately, and doesn't work properly on some maps.
  • I only tested it with a few campaigns, but I found that it has problems with The Sacrifice maps in particular (zombies spawn much slower than they should), and finales of various campaigns are broken.
  • It's more demanding on your computer than regular L4D2. If your computer has a hard time running L4D2 as it is, I wouldn't recommend trying this mod.
  • Using the mod is slightly awkward. Instructions to follow.
How to play
1. Download all of the mod's files and copy them to your L4D2 installation's config folder. Usually it is C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\left 4 dead 2\left4dead2\cfg
2. Start the game.
3. At the title screen, open the command console (`) and type in the following commands:
exec ls
map mapname gametype
where mapname is the name of the map you want to play (you'll get a little pop-up showing you your options, the campaigns are numbered c1 c2 c3 etc). gametype can be realism, versus, or just leave it blank if you want to play a normal campaign.
4. Once you load into the game, you may change the difficulty by going to the pause menu and casting a vote to change the difficulty. I think this mod scales well to any difficulty. I tried it on normal, advanced, and expert.
5. Press F11 and then F12 in order. This sets up the map for the mod. This step has to be repeated at the beginning of each level you play.

Ibun

Re: L4D2 lolswarm "mod"

Postby Ibun » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:24 am

Killin' the first born of lyrical Yul Brynners.

Ibun

Re: L4D2 lolswarm "mod"

Postby Ibun » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:35 am

There are some good and some bad things about this mod.

Pros:

- If you like mindlessly blowing the shit out of zombies, then this is tons of fun, the unlimited M60 ammo and the increased number of zombies make it a total slaughterfest.

Cons:

- If you like variety, this isn't a great mod. It is just wave after wave of zombies, with no specials to break up the action.

- Since there are no specials, including tanks, there is no way to end certain campaigns that require you to kill tanks to advance. (eg: Hard Rain)

- The pacing goes a little slow it seems, with wave after wave of zombies, you don't get very far before having to beat up more enemies.

- The gun doesn't help much when you are swarmed from all angles either, so the harder difficulties might just be an exercise in futility.
Killin' the first born of lyrical Yul Brynners.

Return to “Anything”