I saw a fox today

A place to talk about anything (that doesn't belong in the other forums).

Moderator:Æron

Tom_Radigan
Re: I saw a fox today

Postby Tom_Radigan » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:11 pm

I saw some deer a few weeks ago. Can I be part of the cool animal watching club? :<
I saw some last night driving along a forest preserve.

The most shocking sighting though was when a babby deer rose from concealment in my mother's front garden (and there wasn't much cover there) and walked to the foot of her driveway. (Mom watched with me.) Shortly afterward the mother deer appeared, walking westward along the street, and the fawn joined her and they went off further west. And she lives in the suburbs but not in the boonies! :shock:

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:12 pm

The first fox I ever saw was one that had been run over and pushed to the side of the road on my way to school. All the others I've seen after that have been alive.

Tom_Radigan

Postby Tom_Radigan » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:01 pm

The first skunk I ever saw was one that crossed the street in front of me around midnight. I swerved but couldn't avoid running it over. Subsequent skunks I saw were either already killed or alive and well and remained that way.

Cactus Jack

Postby Cactus Jack » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:21 pm

On a scale of one to ten, where one is not very cute and ten is unbelievably adorable, where would you rate this fox? Would you view this fox again?

I would give it a 9. It wasn't a babby but it was still pretty young and cute. I would gladly view the fox again and maybe one more time after that but no more then three times for sure.

Caoimhin
Location:In the magical land of Jersey... Watch your step and don't trip on the cows.

Postby Caoimhin » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:09 am

I see deer on a regular basis, they come on the front lawn pretty often. Saw a young buck calmly nibbling the tips of flowers out front not to long ago. Groundhogs I see fairly often as well, not alive in my yard, I've only seen the dead ones my dogs kill there. Sparky has been suplimenting his diet with rabbits and such on a regular basis... Biscuit is too lazy :P.

Black bears are pretty common too. One goes through the yard at least once every few months depending on the time of year, the garbage is rooted through and all over the place, sometimes its evident they didn't even find anything worthwhile. It would appear they have gotten picky. When they are actually seen (which is more often than most people get to see them) its not too huge of a deal. The kids are brought indoors, its kinda just part of living here.

Wild turkeys are common, as are pheasants. We also have foxes... Which I have yet to see, as well as coyotes (never seen a wild one), and nearby cougars (mountain lions, although I've never seen one myself, I know of several people who have). Also I've seen a few skunks. Not to mention that people DO see the RARE bobcat, bears are FAR MORE common.

I've seen bald eagles more than six times (at least one of those when they were in molting state). My dad has seen an eagle larger than that, definitely just passing through the state, probably a golden.

Tom_Radigan

Postby Tom_Radigan » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:54 pm

Rooster

Postby Rooster » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:55 pm

It's not just killer foxes we have to worry about here in the UK, we also have that known man-eating species that prowl the wilderness.

The European Badger

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... movie.html

Man, I'd love to trade all the continental Americas cougars, bears, wolves, coyotes, alligators, and snakes for our vicious bastard wildlife! It's not safe here.

Caoimhin
Location:In the magical land of Jersey... Watch your step and don't trip on the cows.

Postby Caoimhin » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:47 am

It's not just killer foxes we have to worry about here in the UK, we also have that known man-eating species that prowl the wilderness.

The European Badger

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... movie.html

Man, I'd love to trade all the continental Americas cougars, bears, wolves, coyotes, alligators, and snakes for our vicious bastard wildlife! It's not safe here.
Worcestershire Badger Society put down the badger after catching it in a trap laid on the Fitzgeralds' front lawn.
Two things shock me the most, that the badger injured four people during a 48-hour rampage and that apparently you Brits have the equivalent of Ghostbusters for badgers :shock: .

Actually I find the idea of a society dedicated solely to this one animal rather adorable. Kinda like hedgehogs... Those things are SOOOOOOO cute.

Tom_Radigan

Postby Tom_Radigan » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:05 pm

I've read in the Smithsonian magazine years ago that American badgers are even more vicious than the European ones! :shock:

Ibun

Postby Ibun » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:03 pm

I'm kind of sad, I have not seen the deer in a long time now. Probably since a few days after my post about it here.
Killin' the first born of lyrical Yul Brynners.

D-puff

Postby D-puff » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:48 pm

I've still never seen a fox before. I thought I did once, but there was no way to be sure with how far off it was. The most I've seen around where I live (other than squirrels and birds) is a Raccoon, a few rabbits down by the beach, and skunks around the neighborhood at night.
ImageImage

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:09 pm

Today, I saw a fox wandering out of a side street and walking off down the pavement like it was a perfectly usual thing to do. Crazy urban foxes.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

likeafox
Administrator

Postby likeafox » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:26 pm

Do they eat trash? Do they fill the niche that raccoons do in much of North America?

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:38 pm

They do tend to rip up bins in order to find tasty leftovers before mauling children.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

Tarukai

Postby Tarukai » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:47 am

I've seen plenty of deer here (they live in the woods right by my house, and are fun to watch. they prowl the streets at night looking for flowers and food). It's a regular occurrence.

Foxes are more rare, but I had the joy of seeing one in the roundabouts in my town. I was on my way home and saw one cross the road from the grassy center to the outer wooded area. it was in the streetlight so I could actually see it, too. t'was neat.
[00:34:00] <Dermy> I do love to manipulate the standard rules of language for opportunistic effect
[00:34:06] <Dermy> Like a grammar hyena, I am
[00:34:16] <Dermy> Munching on the tasty entrails of tradition

[22:26:20] <MuffinSticks> I'm a chocolate muffin with white ears and a striped black and red tail
[22:26:35] <MuffinSticks> And exactly 6 chips

My DA account, for those who care enough to look/click/etc.
And my FA account as well!

Return to “Anything”