When listening to music, what's more important?

A place to talk about anything (that doesn't belong in the other forums).

Moderator:Æron

What do you listen for?

The music itself
88%
Lyrics
12%

Total votes: 25

Arloest
Moderator (retired)
Re: When listening to music, what's more important?

Postby Arloest » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:04 pm

"Close to the Edge" by Yes.

Cool points to you!
Who sleeps shall awake, greeting the shadows from the sun
Who sleeps shall awake, looking through the window of our lives
Waiting for the moment to arrive...
Show us the silence in the rise,
So that we may someday understand...

klimt

Postby klimt » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:06 am

i'm pretty torn on this. i have a lot of music with absolutely terrible or uninteligable (read foreign) lyrics...and have a fair bit of music with fantastic lyrics and piss poor backing...really the important thing is that it all works together.

Comrade K

Postby Comrade K » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:55 am

I find it depends on what kind of music it is.
To compare, take two of my favourite bands: VNV Nation, and ISIS.

VNV Nation is a sort of electro/synthpop type band. They're my favourite band, primarily because of the lyrics. Take those away, and you're basically left with fairly standard EBM sound. The lyrics are what make the songs deep and interesting, and really allow them to elicit an emotional response.
ISIS on the other hand, is much more music oriented. They're a post-MEHTUL/sludge band, with much more focus on how the music evolves throughout the song than on lyrics. Even though most of their songs are over 7 minutes, they have few lyrics, and most of them are unintelligible anyway, as their vocalist Aaron Turner screams them. The music conveys the message, and the lyrics just add a bit to the concept expressed through the music. For example, when I first listened to their latest album Wavering Radiant, I immediately thought of nighttime, darkness, and sort of eerie netherworlds, even though I only caught a few of the lyrics.

So really, it depends. I'm looking for music that sets a mood, or conjures images in my mind; how it does so is irrelevant.

osprey

Postby osprey » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:36 pm

I voted for the music itself. Much of the music I listen to is completely instrumental...however, having said that, the lyrics do mean something to me as well. If a song has horrible lyrics, I generally won't listen to it, even if the music is good, and there are many songs with great lyrics that really speak to me that I greatly love.
OK. pants it. I lied. It's drum and bass. What you gonna do?

Rooster

Postby Rooster » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:37 pm

That's what pisses me off about most of Aerosmith's stuff....musically I love it but I can't stand the lyrics.

Cactus Jack

Postby Cactus Jack » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:21 pm

Aerosmith calls it straight on. When they see a dude who looks like a lady its not time for poetry, its like to let the world know.

D-puff

Postby D-puff » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:27 pm

Because I listen to game music, it's pretty easy to say I could care less about lyrics. When it comes to music with lyrics though, good lyrics are a bonus, but I have some pretty cheesy songs on my mp3 player just because of how catchy they are. In the end though, the cheesy lyrics will grow on me.
ImageImage

Chris

Postby Chris » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:49 pm

If i'm listening to the Beatles..It's hard to say because they all fit perfectly. As for modern music, it varies differently..

Caoimhin
Location:In the magical land of Jersey... Watch your step and don't trip on the cows.

Postby Caoimhin » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:09 pm

Very much the first option. I listen to a lot of classic rock, which tends to have excellent instrumentation but not always top-notch lyrics. I actually thought of this the other day as I was listening to "Close to the Edge" by Yes. The lyrics make no friggin sense, but I'll still sing along with them anyway.
Same here, if I hadn't actually looked up what the concept of the album was I'd have no frikkin clue. Definitely the first option, in Yes's case getting the gist of the lyrics is enough the music just floats you away. I listen to alot of King Crimson (up to Discipline) and some of the songs have intentionally garbled lyrics. And the lyrics are even more obscure. But the way the lyrics combine with the wonderful melodies and rhythems, the pure talent of the musicians makes up for the at times mediorcre vocals, makes the music as a whole much more important.

I actually have trouble singing along, so music listening is very passive for, I'll often sit there and assume a meditative like position. I even do this with punk. Good music always gives me a shivering feeling, I'll get this sweating sensation. But then, as if I was covered in goosebumps, the feeling lifts. Holy shit, this sounds orgasmic :laugh: :laugh: . Songs that give me this feeling:

Starless and Bible Black- King Crimson
Siberian Khatru- Yes
Roundabout- Yes
Fallen Angel- King Crimson
Dancing with the Moonlit Knight- Genesis
White Mountain- Genesis
What a Wonderful World- Joey Ramone cover (I know, I know :P)

And others, just those that come to mind. Several instrumentals. The Dead Kennedy's have some amazing angry lyrics.

Arloest
Moderator (retired)

Postby Arloest » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:57 am

Oh my god, isn't the chorus to Dancing with the Moonlight Knight great! It makes me want to punch my fist in the air and lead a troop of soldiers into battle.
Who sleeps shall awake, greeting the shadows from the sun
Who sleeps shall awake, looking through the window of our lives
Waiting for the moment to arrive...
Show us the silence in the rise,
So that we may someday understand...

Caoimhin
Location:In the magical land of Jersey... Watch your step and don't trip on the cows.

Postby Caoimhin » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:28 am

Hell yeah! Knights of the Green Shield stamp and shout!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

likeafox
Administrator

Postby likeafox » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:14 pm

For the longest time I didn't think lyrics were important at all. Then I found bands like Ayreon and Project Pitchfork and some others to a lesser extent, and now I feel that lyrics CAN be important. But still not as important as the music.

sad jazz cantaloupe

Postby sad jazz cantaloupe » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:41 pm

Yeah, I think it's really just that I love to hear the human voice more than any other instrument. I don't care if it's that good of a voice or not, I just like hearing it, and the easiest way for me to explain that without thinking is that I just "like the lyrics". In reality I guess I would like most of the songs/bands I like if they were saying different words.
Apologies to everyone. Except Fritz.
First of all, Fritz, do yourself a favor and research your own answers before you post.

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:54 pm

That's a good point. I listen to a lot of foreign music; I like the sound that the human voice makes, especially in languages like Russian. Even if you can't understand the lyrics, the presence of meaningful vocals makes the piece overall sound more meaningful and more interesting. It's quite rare that I listen to music without lyrics, even - it doesn't really speak to me or entertain me in the same way (Ludovico Einaudi and Andy McKee excepted); in fact, I usually find it quite boring.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

Comrade K

Postby Comrade K » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:33 am

I like the sound that the human voice makes, especially in languages like Russian.
Anything Gaelic or Irish.

Return to “Anything”