When you see it...

A place to talk about anything (that doesn't belong in the other forums).

Moderator:Æron

Arloest
Moderator (retired)
Re: When you see it...

Postby Arloest » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:13 am

In general the quality went downhill when DCS went from he to she.
Who sleeps shall awake, greeting the shadows from the sun
Who sleeps shall awake, looking through the window of our lives
Waiting for the moment to arrive...
Show us the silence in the rise,
So that we may someday understand...

Foxchild

Postby Foxchild » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:20 am

That makes a small difference, but.... ugh, still not gonna accept it. I personally don't want another smug signle character focal point strip. And "bird" will not really fill an alternate co-staring character all that well.
If you've done things right, people won't be sure if you've done anything at all.

cougartiger

Re: Hmmmm

Postby cougartiger » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:44 am

Is it plagiarism if you copy comics form yourself, or just tacky?
To be fair, these are just concept strips. DCS is pulling her *best* ideas from her previous work in order to impress the judges/voters with "Girl". It remains to be seen if anything good & original will come of it... The existence of the last year of O&M and then Raine Dog makes me skeptical.
This. DCS is trying to create a comic strip that will play to a mainstream audience. To that end, she created a variety of strips that show the basic premise, humor and characters. Nothing wrong with that.

Despite her thieveing ways, I honestly wish DCS the best of luck with this new strip. I just can't bring myself to hate someone who created such a beautiful portrait of Locke and Ms. Mudd for me and me alone (which I then shared with everyone on the net but that's beside the point).
My Deviant Art page, home of my epic biography of Captain Lucius Locke, The Pirate's Tale.
Now including artwork!

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:57 pm

I already replied to this in another thread before seeing this. As others have said Büni is the best of the bunch, sub-par artwork be damned. Belle Plaine and Evil Twin aren't bad either. Also, seems one of the strips (CounterCulture) already got picked for syndication, so it's just 9 contestants now.

IceDragon

Postby IceDragon » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:17 pm

That makes a small difference, but.... ugh, still not gonna accept it. I personally don't want another smug signle character focal point strip. And "bird" will not really fill an alternate co-staring character all that well.
It's odd, when she stopped following the Calvin and Hobbes Formula, she could not do it well. I guess she needs to go back to that formula...

osprey

Postby osprey » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:10 pm

I already replied to this in another thread before seeing this. As others have said Büni is the best of the bunch, sub-par artwork be damned. Belle Plaine and Evil Twin aren't bad either. Also, seems one of the strips (CounterCulture) already got picked for syndication, so it's just 9 contestants now.
Yeah, Buni is the only one that actually made me laugh out loud. CounterCulture gave me a few smiles as well, and its art is high quality.
OK. pants it. I lied. It's drum and bass. What you gonna do?

Cactus Jack

Postby Cactus Jack » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:06 pm

I don't have much faith in the comic. It seems like an even more self insertion then Ozy and Millie. It always seemed like Ozy was how DCS saw herself, inteligent but misunderstood and picked on by the jocks and she just took it in hopes of them moving on, while Millie was how she wanted to be, outspoken, witty, and willing to fight back.
I always thought Ozy was the ideal, while Millie was closer to who she was.

I think Ozy is more of how she felt she was and Millie was what she wanted to be. Ozy never wins against the bullies, just passivly takes their abuse hoping for it to end while Millie is far more proactive physically fighting back several times as well as beating them in more cerebreal ways.

IceDragon

Postby IceDragon » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:38 pm

Someone pointed out that one RD panel in the discussions for this contest...

Novil Ariandis

Postby Novil Ariandis » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:30 am

Sandra and Woo: my webcomic about the adventures of the girl Sandra and her raccoon Woo

osprey

Postby osprey » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:46 am

I call shenanigans.
OK. pants it. I lied. It's drum and bass. What you gonna do?

Arloest
Moderator (retired)

Postby Arloest » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:18 am

Well frankly its not all that unfeasible. She probably is the most talented artist of the bunch and if you didn't know that a lot of these jokes were Ozy and Millie rehashes they would seem funny.
Who sleeps shall awake, greeting the shadows from the sun
Who sleeps shall awake, looking through the window of our lives
Waiting for the moment to arrive...
Show us the silence in the rise,
So that we may someday understand...

Cactus Jack

Postby Cactus Jack » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:48 pm

Does this mean she will be too busy redrawing Ozy and Millie to continue Rain Dog?

MuffinSticks

Postby MuffinSticks » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:47 pm

Does this mean she will be too busy redrawing Ozy and Millie to continue Rain Dog?
....I can't decide if that would be good or bad.
КТО ТРОГАЛ МОЯ ПУШКА

<Muninn> Too furry for saneville, too girly for boystown
see, how far raine dog got placed in the background? take that you blue bitch

Return to “Anything”