When you see it...

A place to talk about anything (that doesn't belong in the other forums).

Moderator:Æron

cougartiger
Girl By DCS

Postby cougartiger » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:09 pm

Found a link to this on the RD site. Apparently, DCS is trying to get this into newspapers. It's an OK strip. Better than than RD, not as good as O&M in it's prime.

Beware: recycled O&M strips and jokes abound.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/r ... 2128878011

This post was merged from a duplicate thread.
My Deviant Art page, home of my epic biography of Captain Lucius Locke, The Pirate's Tale.
Now including artwork!

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

Trance

Re: When you see it...

Postby Trance » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:14 pm

I like it.

Cactus Jack

Postby Cactus Jack » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:35 pm

I don't have much faith in the comic. It seems like an even more self insertion then Ozy and Millie. It always seemed like Ozy was how DCS saw herself, inteligent but misunderstood and picked on by the jocks and she just took it in hopes of them moving on, while Millie was how she wanted to be, outspoken, witty, and willing to fight back. I see Girl as a combination as those two. It appears she gets picked on at school, but has this secret life were everybody loves her and she is the coolest person around making with the smart remarks and witty quips. Plus in this version of "My Life is Horrible This is What I Want it to Be Like" the comic the secondary character seems like he is even less likely to steal the spotlight from the main character. Ozy sometimes got to do things alone, meaning less screen time for DCS's ideal version of himself through Millie. Here I doubt the bird will do much by itself while Girl will definitly be going on solo missions.

Chris

Hmmmm

Postby Chris » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:06 pm

Found this subpage of Ozy and millie:
http://www.ozyandmillie.org/girl.html

Novil Ariandis

Postby Novil Ariandis » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:25 pm

I admit that I voted for Girl, because the other comics were kinda disappointing. Büni was the only other comic I’d read regularly, and that one was a bit too much a copy of Perry Bible Fellowship.

Sandra and Woo: my webcomic about the adventures of the girl Sandra and her raccoon Woo

Foxchild

Postby Foxchild » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:57 pm

Attachments
atfirstbutthen.gif
atfirstbutthen.gif (8.86KiB)Viewed 3877 times
If you've done things right, people won't be sure if you've done anything at all.

Dr. Dos

Postby Dr. Dos » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:11 pm

Should've made this thread under the Ozy and Millie section

because that's what this is.
Anami: Sex with a giant, black scorpion seems fun.

<SteveThePocket> Geez. I want more of this stuff now. Now I know how a horny guy on an imageboard feels.

IceDragon

Re: Hmmmm

Postby IceDragon » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:15 pm

Is it plagiarism if you copy comics form yourself, or just tacky?

Member #1243

Postby Member #1243 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:19 pm

Even if it weren't, it still should go there...
Animals are usually dumb and oblivious

The MAZZTer
Location:Destiny, several billion light years from Earth. Also known as Vancouver.

Postby The MAZZTer » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:29 pm

Maybe the contest has a "NO FURRIES" rule, or DCS just decided to do something a little different for her attempt at syndication, but wanted to do the same sort of things she did with O&M. It's also possible she wanted to get some sample strips up quickly whenever this contest thing started and so didn't take the time to write new material.

At any rate I wish her luck, and I voted for her.

datherman

Postby datherman » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:43 pm

Third topic about this I think?

Not anymore. :D
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

Cactus Jack

Postby Cactus Jack » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:55 pm

I think DCS can't write a comic without being able to live vicariously through her characters. She did this with Ozy and then with Millie when she decided to become a woman. Unfortanatly Millie was more of a tomboy then she wanted to be (as indicated by the more feminime redesign) this is a chance for her to do Ozy and Millie put with a main character who is more ideal to what she now wishes her childhood had been.

IceDragon

Postby IceDragon » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:35 am

I don't have much faith in the comic. It seems like an even more self insertion then Ozy and Millie. It always seemed like Ozy was how DCS saw herself, inteligent but misunderstood and picked on by the jocks and she just took it in hopes of them moving on, while Millie was how she wanted to be, outspoken, witty, and willing to fight back.
I always thought Ozy was the ideal, while Millie was closer to who she was.

Foxchild

Postby Foxchild » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:25 am

At least with O&M there were contradicting views between the characters. In RD and G, it's simply the one character who is always to be taken as the ideal correct viewpoint, or the single character to empathize with.
If you've done things right, people won't be sure if you've done anything at all.

Æron

Postby Æron » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:59 am

Is it plagiarism if you copy comics form yourself, or just tacky?
To be fair, these are just concept strips. DCS is pulling her *best* ideas from her previous work in order to impress the judges/voters with "Girl". It remains to be seen if anything good & original will come of it... The existence of the last year of O&M and then Raine Dog makes me skeptical.
Scurry, scurry, Scurryous! You might just be the murriest. You certainly are the furriest! Hurry! Scurry! Scurryous!

Return to “Anything”