The case for libertarianism

A place to talk about anything (that doesn't belong in the other forums).

Moderator:Æron

Foxchild
Re: The case for libertarianism

Postby Foxchild » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:13 pm

[ IMAGE ]
I more meant simply because the person might have demonstrated the ability to read :P
If you've done things right, people won't be sure if you've done anything at all.

pharmmajor

Postby pharmmajor » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:25 pm

Wow, thanks for all the hatred, guys. Really appreciate it! :wag:

Foxchild

Postby Foxchild » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:37 pm

Dude, I'M a Libertarian. the argument here was too verbose, and after reading it through completely, I still don't know which angle you were approaching this from.

It basically said "These are the stereotypes!" and then a bullet-point list without explanation ending with a statement stating that it's a meeting ground between the left and the right. While Libertarianism is indeed a mixture of the two philosophies, I don't think the long, drawn out argument effectively explains what, or why, this is the case.
If you've done things right, people won't be sure if you've done anything at all.

pharmmajor

Postby pharmmajor » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:51 pm

Dude, I'M a Libertarian. the argument here was too verbose, and after reading it through completely, I still don't know which angle you were approaching this from.

It basically said "These are the stereotypes!" and then a bullet-point list without explanation ending with a statement stating that it's a meeting ground between the left and the right. While Libertarianism is indeed a mixture of the two philosophies, I don't think the long, drawn out argument effectively explains what, or why, this is the case.
Ah, gotcha. See what you mean. I know the article was a little verbose, but I thought it would be a good way to get some people here to look at alternatives to the two mainstream parties, and perhaps find a better fit than the one they subscribe to.

Caoimhin
Location:In the magical land of Jersey... Watch your step and don't trip on the cows.

Postby Caoimhin » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:10 pm

Dude, I'M a Libertarian.
Really? Huh, didn't realize that :? .

Foxchild

Postby Foxchild » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:32 pm

Really? Huh, didn't realize that :? .
Most proponents of Libertarianism aren't insane, just like the idea of a small federal government and large social freedoms.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of the idea of the federal government strictly concerning itself with the nation as a whole (Military, some level of Interstate Highway, FAA, and all international policy [and nationally historic site maintenance]), and let smaller, more local governments determine the type of social environment exists (Medical, education, local and state roads, parks, etc.). Say, let California create a social medicine program managed by county governments and funds, taxed based on which county an individual lives, and let Texas make use of the private insurance companies and have a smaller government presence in the market.

With that, you still have the power to vote and change things as you feel needed, but if one environment goes against what you feel is ideal, and you're unable to change the local policies, you could move to somewhere inside of the US and enjoy an area more towards your political inclinations. Though that's still not ideal for everyone.

... Just none of this "Going back to the gold standard" BS. That's retarded and won't work.

Hyperion

Postby Hyperion » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:28 pm

Ah, gotcha. See what you mean. I know the article was a little verbose, but I thought it would be a good way to get some people here to look at alternatives to the two mainstream parties, and perhaps find a better fit than the one they subscribe to.
*Is still an extreme-moderate*
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Avatar by kurorakuen, Shienvien. Used with permission.

Google [Bot ]

Postby Google [Bot ] » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:02 pm

not to mention, we assumed you were another spambot, except a really weird one.
I'm not a spambot :S
BUTT DOGS

Gecko

Postby Gecko » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:06 am

Well this is curious.
Anami and Anami are sitting around Anami says "GRR I AM ANGSTY LET'S EXPRESS ANGST" and so Anami says "ONE OF THE MODS ON DC IS A DICK I POSTED A PICTURE THAT WASN'T REALLY THAT INAPPROPRIATE AND THREE MODS SAW IT AND DID NOTHING THEN A FOURTH ONE SAW IT AND DELETED IT" and Anami says "OMG I HATE MODS >:("

Comrade K

Postby Comrade K » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:55 am

*Is still an extreme-moderate*
http://radicalmiddle.com/

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:33 am

to get some people here to look at alternatives to the two mainstream parties
There's communism for that, and if that's that not viable then we can set up small communities of hunter-gatherers.

Æron

Postby Æron » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:24 pm

DC is a small community where everyone knows each other pretty well, and I don't think people really appreciated it when you just showed up and posted a copy of an article without saying anything yourself... It rather rang of hollow prosthelytizing, not an attempt to be part of the community of DC... you should have at least made the small effort of introducing yourself first.
Scurry, scurry, Scurryous! You might just be the murriest. You certainly are the furriest! Hurry! Scurry! Scurryous!

Angstwolf

Postby Angstwolf » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:10 pm

*is a Libertarian*

Arloest
Moderator (retired)

Postby Arloest » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:23 am

*Is a librarian*
Who sleeps shall awake, greeting the shadows from the sun
Who sleeps shall awake, looking through the window of our lives
Waiting for the moment to arrive...
Show us the silence in the rise,
So that we may someday understand...

Foxchild

Postby Foxchild » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:40 pm

*is a Libertarian*
Yay! I'm not alone on this board!!

Return to “Anything”