Why are people so damn snobby about Celsius?

A place to talk about anything (that doesn't belong in the other forums).

Moderator:Æron

Arloest
Moderator (retired)
Why are people so damn snobby about Celsius?

Postby Arloest » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:28 am

Seriously, anyone who uses Celsius and sees someone using Fahrenheit will start shoving in their face how much superior Celsius is 75% of the time. At LEAST. They are the Mac users of measuring heat. I admit I used to take the bait on this and say something like, "no, FAHRENHEITS PWNS J00" but now I realize how stupid it all is.

LOOK CANADIANS/BRITS/WHATNOT of course Celsius is much better for scientific measurements, in which cases I only ever use Celsius or Kelvin. So I know how to read Celsius and stuff. But for talking about the weather outside I just prefer Fahrenheit OK SO STOP JUDGING ME YOU DICKS.

NORWEGIAN MEHTUL SUCKS! IDIOT!
Who sleeps shall awake, greeting the shadows from the sun
Who sleeps shall awake, looking through the window of our lives
Waiting for the moment to arrive...
Show us the silence in the rise,
So that we may someday understand...

Jakkal

Postby Jakkal » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:40 am

Personally, I don't mind, if you use Celsius, Kelvin, Fahrenheit or HummaBumma... the "problem" of the Fahrenheit stuff is (and that's really how most of us [European] think about it) that USA still wants to go her own way, without taking a look at the other.
It's like: "The rest of the world is using Celsius or metric system? Now F*ck them! We are the God damn USA! We use our own way to describe stuff!" I still wonder, why you don't have a own way to describe time and weight... and don't get on the idea to flame me down like a shack in summertime... I just presented you the general opinion over here about that fact... (the Kioto Protokol is another example of this opinion...)

MuffinSticks

Postby MuffinSticks » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:45 am

Personally, I think the sooner America works up the initiative to switch to the metric system, the better. Fahrenheit and the standard measurement system are just pointless.
КТО ТРОГАЛ МОЯ ПУШКА

<Muninn> Too furry for saneville, too girly for boystown
see, how far raine dog got placed in the background? take that you blue bitch

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:58 am

It seems pretty sensible to me to base your scale around (roughly) the melting and boiling points of water, rather than some mercury-based frigorific mixture that very few people ever encounter in their entire lives. Plus it is much easier to move from Celsius to Kelvin for the purposes of SCIENCE. It also seems sensible to measure outdoor temperature in Celsius, if only because you end up with smaller numbers.

In other words, go metric.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

Burning Sheep Productions

Postby Burning Sheep Productions » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:59 am

Lol Arlo look what happened.

Also standardization FTW.
Burning Sheep Productions

Comrade K

Postby Comrade K » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:00 am

Lol.

Æron

Postby Æron » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:08 pm

While I have adapted to using Celsius as well as Fahrenheit in my daily life and am a proponent of switching wholly to metric, I still believe Fahrenheit is better for the purposes of relating how the outdoor temperature *feels,* because of the larger number of steps of 10s there are in the normal temperature range. When measuring in Celsius you can have the difference between a cool and a warm day and still be in the 10s. Fahrenheit's steps of 10s all have differentiable feels to them.

Yes, the United States still uses Fahrenheit for relating the temperature in the "public" sector, but it's not like we use it for scientific purposes in which case then there would indeed be cause for hectoring us for not converting.

As a side note, I find it ironic that it is sometimes the same people jeering the US for not conforming to standards who also jeer the US for being culturally bland and/or un-diverse (as if that were true). Using Fahrenheit and other non-metric units is a cultural thing.

Segovia

Postby Segovia » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:07 pm

The Metric system is so much simpler. There. End of discussion. I mean come on! Boiling point of water 212 degrees F and 100 C. Which ones easier to remember? Frankly I would love to have a simpler measuring system that is based on the usage of tens but Texas was annexed into a customary system country.

But you, Angela, would probably agree with Grandpa Simpson "The Metric System is for the Devil!"

Æron

Postby Æron » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:21 pm

The Metric system is so much simpler. There. End of discussion. [...continues discussing]

But you, Angela, would probably agree with Grandpa Simpson "The Metric System is for the Devil!"
I'm sorry, please read what Angela actually said and try again. :|
Scurry, scurry, Scurryous! You might just be the murriest. You certainly are the furriest! Hurry! Scurry! Scurryous!

Segovia

Postby Segovia » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:48 pm

I did surprisingly.

Liz
Staff

Postby Liz » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:04 pm

Since Jason lives in a country that uses the metric system, I've been learning to convert Fahrenheit to Celsius by guesstimation. xD
I definitely prefer Fahrenheit when talking about the temperature outside.

baloki
Staff

Postby baloki » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:13 pm

I am all for measuring the temperature in forum members.

Do you believe in Lady Luck Now? Yeah Lady Bad Luck!

Segovia

Postby Segovia » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:22 pm

I am all for measuring the temperature in forum members.
That's easy considering if all forum members are not sick.

baloki
Staff

Postby baloki » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:07 pm

It's three bloody nickspoons over here chuck. Bloody weather!

Do you believe in Lady Luck Now? Yeah Lady Bad Luck!

likeafox
Administrator

Postby likeafox » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:25 pm

Since Jason lives in a country that uses the metric system, I've been learning to convert Fahrenheit to Celsius by guesstimation.
Pshuh, but more often than not I describe the temperature to you in Fahrenheit!
Last edited by likeafox on Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Anything”