Star Trek

A place to talk about anything (that doesn't belong in the other forums).

Moderator:Æron

Baconsticks

Postby Baconsticks » Tue May 12, 2009 3:45 am

I just watched it. It was awesome. I thought J. J. Abrams lost his edge after Cloverfield, But, he still has it.

datherman

Postby datherman » Tue May 12, 2009 10:45 pm

There's this up and coming, headstrong, new starship captain who usually pulls through in the end and cares deeply about his position. Early in the film he ends up destroying the vessel of a female captain and she follows him everywhere to point out his mistakes and possibly make him pay for the vessel he destroyed. But the sexual tensions never resolve. It's later revealed she's the sister of a Commander at a Star Fleet space station near a planet covered in water.

Along the way they pick up this Klingon lieutenant or something who has slits for eyes. He's a bit of a lech, has a thing for human girls, but again it's left unresolved and you get the feeling he was put in for comic relief.

The main character is haunted by feelings of inadequacy from his days in the academy where he and another captain who trained at the same time became rivals, trying to outdo each other. He would always be second best it seemed. This character is a bit of a douche but it's a good twist that the main rivalry in the movie doesn't ultimately come from some classic villain but someone on the same side.

The trio of main characters are pursued by an intergalactic criminal organisation called Team Rocket who at the end of the movie blast off at the speed of light.
Effing awesome. In the first paragraph I thought it might have been Inuyasha, but then I got to the Klingon portion and realized just what was going on. Well done my friend, well done.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Tue May 12, 2009 10:47 pm

There's this up and coming, headstrong, new starship captain who usually pulls through in the end and cares deeply about his position. Early in the film he ends up destroying the vessel of a female captain and she follows him everywhere to point out his mistakes and possibly make him pay for the vessel he destroyed. But the sexual tensions never resolve. It's later revealed she's the sister of a Commander at a Star Fleet space station near a planet covered in water.

Along the way they pick up this Klingon lieutenant or something who has slits for eyes. He's a bit of a lech, has a thing for human girls, but again it's left unresolved and you get the feeling he was put in for comic relief.

The main character is haunted by feelings of inadequacy from his days in the academy where he and another captain who trained at the same time became rivals, trying to outdo each other. He would always be second best it seemed. This character is a bit of a douche but it's a good twist that the main rivalry in the movie doesn't ultimately come from some classic villain but someone on the same side.

The trio of main characters are pursued by an intergalactic criminal organisation called Team Rocket who at the end of the movie blast off at the speed of light.
THIS IS FREAKING LEGENDARY!!!

Rooster

Postby Rooster » Wed May 13, 2009 9:59 pm

I don't get it....are Team Rocket something to do with Jefferson Starship?

datherman

Postby datherman » Wed May 13, 2009 11:51 pm

I don't get it....are Team Rocket something to do with Jefferson Starship?
Did you ever watch the Pokemon cartoon as a kid?

Dr. Sticks

Postby Dr. Sticks » Thu May 14, 2009 1:12 am

he was a bit too old I think
http://www.spingain.com/?ref=146518
Well put doog. You never posted anything offensive whatsoever
we know she'll be back, like a good bitch should.

Rooster

Postby Rooster » Fri May 15, 2009 1:47 pm

Yeah dude, I'm more of a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fan :wag:

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Fri May 15, 2009 5:32 pm

I still watch pokeymans.

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Fri May 15, 2009 5:44 pm

I still watch pokeymans.
It's awesome, and not solely for nostalgia value either.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Fri May 15, 2009 6:35 pm

*nods* I'm almost 29, so I was in high school when it came out... no nostalgia for me. I just like it, dagnabbit.

osprey

Postby osprey » Sat May 16, 2009 3:18 am

I dunno, people keep urging me to watch it. I might eventually...I did grow up during the Pokemon generation, but I never really got into it to be honest.
OK. pants it. I lied. It's drum and bass. What you gonna do?

datherman

Postby datherman » Sat May 16, 2009 4:03 am

At my daycare center in elementary school, during the summer we would occasionally have "video days" where you could bring in videos and we'd vote on the ones to watch. Most of them ended up as "Pokemon days."

It's somewhat sad that now, 8-9 years later, I'm in college and can still recite every word of the opening theme to that show.

Dr. Sticks

Postby Dr. Sticks » Sat May 16, 2009 4:46 am

no it isn't.
http://www.spingain.com/?ref=146518
Well put doog. You never posted anything offensive whatsoever
we know she'll be back, like a good bitch should.

Æron

Postby Æron » Sat May 16, 2009 4:48 am

I never got into pokemon, even as it consumed nearly my entire class in gradeschool. Not only did I never get into it, I actively despised it.

Shoot me.
Scurry, scurry, Scurryous! You might just be the murriest. You certainly are the furriest! Hurry! Scurry! Scurryous!

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Sat May 16, 2009 11:34 am

It's somewhat sad that now, 8-9 years later, I'm in college and can still recite every word of the opening theme to that show.
I WANNA BE THE VERY BEST LIKE NO ONE EVER WAS
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

Return to “Anything”