Johnathan's epic quest for a Mac.

A place to talk about anything (that doesn't belong in the other forums).

Moderator:Æron

Segovia

Postby Segovia » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:43 pm

No it's a family PC. Another reason i want mac is because i would have my own computer.

D-puff

Postby D-puff » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:08 pm

Gah, I doubt you would be allowed to do what I was going to suggest then...which was pretty much just delete everything on the computer and start anew (backing up important files, of course). All I can really say is if you want less viruses, try to see if you can get firefox. and this, for getting rid of ads.

Also, believe it or not, torrenting is usually safer than downloading regularly, if you know the right sites. Good sites will delete any torrent with a virus, and you can download in bulk (like movies, discography, full programs, et cetera). Plus, if your lucky, it can be much faster than downloading normally.
ImageImage

Dr. Sticks

Postby Dr. Sticks » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:46 pm

dude, MAJOR PROBLEM WITH MACS: they don't have MS Paint. they don't have any application, even a free 3rd party application, that is like MS Paint. Photoshop can't replace it for what it does. A computer without MS Paint is a eunuch computer.
http://www.spingain.com/?ref=146518
Well put doog. You never posted anything offensive whatsoever
we know she'll be back, like a good bitch should.

Dr. Dos

Postby Dr. Dos » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:29 pm

See what? One guy who wanted a Mac for graphic deisgn which is the only purpose it's suited to?
I'm pretty sure a high school student can get by with ms paint and windows movie marker.
Anami: Sex with a giant, black scorpion seems fun.

<SteveThePocket> Geez. I want more of this stuff now. Now I know how a horny guy on an imageboard feels.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:05 pm

I still don't like my PC. I been treating it well for 6 years and all of a sudden it crashes on me. It sucks! That's why I want a mac; you don't have these kind of problems.
What kind of problems, not needing replaced after 6 years? Dude, most computers get replaced in way less than six years just because they're so far outdated. Six years ago Apple was making this; I'd be wanting to replace it by now if it were my main machine.

That said, if you're dead-set on getting a Mac, be aware that you'll have to either replace all your software or install Windows under Boot Camp/Parallels, which means you'll have to keep using Windows anyway. On the other hand, if your current machine is that old, it might be about time to buy new software anyway.

Tarukai

Postby Tarukai » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:09 pm

So, you want a mac because you believe it's less prone to viruses, because it's "easier", and because it's expensive?

On your chem movie ordeal, the thing is, if your friend is bothering to make "brilliant" movies for the class because he has a mac, the fact is that he's trying too hard. WMM is more than adequate.

Macs are overpriced, and don't run as much as a lot of people need, which is why most offices and such don't use them. They wouldn't have half of the software required if they did.

Macs are not much less prone to viruses, because with more people buying the computers, more people are making viruses for them.

Macs are on par with windows-computers as far as ease of use goes. If you want to use it for music, internet, email, chatting and making movies? they're pretty well equal in ease of use, although the mac-based ones are easier to do movies with right out of the box, but that's their demographic in the first place.

To put it simply: for internet, don't use internet explorer. Use Mozilla Firefox, don't click on ads, don't go to shady sites, get better stuff to remove viruses and adware and malware. AVG Free is a great thing to use for virus protection. I had that until I bought the AVG Internet Security, which is doing me well to this day.

so yeah, just be a bit more careful with your computer. Also, if you want your own laptop to do movies on, then buy a windows-based laptop for probably less than half of a mac's price, and use either Windows Movie Maker or torrent a better program for it (windows version, of course!). Save yourself money and time.

A few last notes: one thing that always irks me is when people try to tell the differences between "Macs and PCs." They are PCs. Plain and simple.

So yeah, Roger, don't get a Mac, get a windows laptop for cheaper and get stuff you need, including mozilla firefox, and enjoy the money you will be saving.

EDIT: Oh, also! On your PC just acting up one day and blue screening, or whatever, Macs DO do this as well. Don't believe hype that they "never die" like that, they just get a Grey screen instead.

Macs have problems too, don't overlook that fact.

Also, WALL OF TEEEEXT!
[00:34:00] <Dermy> I do love to manipulate the standard rules of language for opportunistic effect
[00:34:06] <Dermy> Like a grammar hyena, I am
[00:34:16] <Dermy> Munching on the tasty entrails of tradition

[22:26:20] <MuffinSticks> I'm a chocolate muffin with white ears and a striped black and red tail
[22:26:35] <MuffinSticks> And exactly 6 chips

My DA account, for those who care enough to look/click/etc.
And my FA account as well!

Baconsticks

Postby Baconsticks » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:20 pm

On your chem movie ordeal, the thing is, if your friend is bothering to make "brilliant" movies for the class because he has a mac, the fact is that he's trying too hard. WMM is more than adequate.
This is the part I disagree with. WMM fails. Hard.
EDIT: Oh, also! On your PC just acting up one day and blue screening, or whatever, Macs DO do this as well. Don't believe hype that they "never die" like that, they just get a Grey screen instead.

Spinning Pinwheel of death.

Baconsticks

Postby Baconsticks » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:34 pm

I might also add that, as much as I hate macs, I'm conisdering getting one for the sole reason that it has final cut pro.

osprey

Postby osprey » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:47 pm

OK. pants it. I lied. It's drum and bass. What you gonna do?

Segovia

Postby Segovia » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:59 pm

I still don't like my PC. I been treating it well for 6 years and all of a sudden it crashes on me. It sucks! That's why I want a mac; you don't have these kind of problems.
What kind of problems, not needing replaced after 6 years? Dude, most computers get replaced in way less than six years just because they're so far outdated.
My mom thinks that if there's nothing wrong with it then it doesn't need to be replaced.

Fritz

Postby Fritz » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:28 am

dude, MAJOR PROBLEM WITH MACS: they don't have MS Paint. they don't have any application, even a free 3rd party application, that is like MS Paint.
wrooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong

Dr. Sticks

Postby Dr. Sticks » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:04 am

that's more like MS Paint Vista, and not really like the 98-XP version. My case still stands
http://www.spingain.com/?ref=146518
Well put doog. You never posted anything offensive whatsoever
we know she'll be back, like a good bitch should.

Chris

Postby Chris » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:16 am

No it's a family PC. Another reason i want mac is because i would have my own computer.
If you want a PC, Get a windows based PC. Commonsense is the number one anti-virus around.

Infact, after learning hard lessons on using my PC, I take good care of my PC now. Now, after 4 years, My PC is still in good condition and still runs like it's new.

PC's are Cheaper than macs. Get 2 GeForce 9800GTX SLI and a Intel Dual or Quad Core processor and 4GB of Ram. With that setup it will outperform any expensive macs around...

Dr. Dos

Postby Dr. Dos » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:24 am

Anami: Sex with a giant, black scorpion seems fun.

<SteveThePocket> Geez. I want more of this stuff now. Now I know how a horny guy on an imageboard feels.

Segovia

Postby Segovia » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:24 am

Guys I don't care about MS paint. I don't even use it.

Return to “Anything”