A topic that's not about segovia

A place to talk about anything (that doesn't belong in the other forums).

Moderator:Æron

D-puff

Postby D-puff » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:59 pm

I have nothing against black people at all (hence "A little less angry and offensive"), and in fact have several black friends (even a girlfriend at one point). It's just style of the music that doesn't catch my attention. It just doesn't help the cause that the meaning behind their music is usually always the same thing; 1. Sex with hoes/pimping/sex in general, 2. Drugs, 3. Growing up in the ghetto (which a majority of rappers don't). I'm not saying that there isn't any sensible rap out there, its just rare to find any that's actually popular enough to change anyone's mind about raps true potential.
ImageImage

Ibun

Postby Ibun » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:17 pm

Protip: Try underground hip hop, if you want deeper meaning. Mainstream rock is no different, it's always been about sex drugs and rock n roll.

But to the point of you don't like the style, I get that. Whether it's the instruments they use or the way songs flow, if you don't like it you just don't like it. Personally I am that way with vocals. The melody could be amazing; but if the singer sucks, or rubs me the wrong way, I can't listen to it. A great example would be the band Opeth.
Killin' the first born of lyrical Yul Brynners.

RocketGirl

Postby RocketGirl » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:23 pm

But to the point of you don't like the style, I get that. Whether it's the instruments they use or the way songs flow, if you don't like it you just don't like it.
I'm glad to hear this. I've had some chowderheads try to accuse me of being racist for not liking a style of music primarily favored by a specific ethnic group. And I'm thinkin'...not so much. It's not the people, it's the music; if the same people played the styles I like, I'd like them as musicians.

Kinna gets to be a sore point after a while, yanno?
Personally I am that way with vocals. The melody could be amazing; but if the singer sucks, or rubs me the wrong way, I can't listen to it.
Yeah, I'm with you on that. Someone on another board posted an American Idol audition with some chick who thought she had these awesome vocal chops, right? But she's one of those people who feels the need to improv around a note instead of just holding it, an' I'm like, "Lady...pick a @#$%ing note! Yeesh! You're not going to be able to sneak up on it by confusing it, and you're making me suspect you can't actually hit it, so you're faking it with improv!"

So, yeah. With you on that one.
Introducing new Dark Side RocketGirl™: Quicker, Easier, More Seductive!

ImageImage

Ibun

Postby Ibun » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:27 pm

It's like people do with the National Anthem all the pantsless time. The notes aren't supposed to go up and down 5 octaves people.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gItsdEMCDQI Hilarious.

Baconsticks

Postby Baconsticks » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:29 pm

and, as for the movie, they showed it the other day here and someone got shot in the theatre. So, they're reopening it for viewing again tomorrow -lol-
We had a stabbing here because of it. lol

D-puff

Postby D-puff » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:37 pm

I've been actually considering underground rap a little. I know my friend knows a few bands, so I'll talk with him about it.

I'm usually not too worried about a singers voice, though it does make a difference in some cases. Eve 6 is a rare case of a voice that I like a lot, despite the lyrics (seeing as a lot of songs are really generic/about sex), for example. But to be fair, a lot of music I listen to doesn't even have lyrics. I usually listen to music that can fit a mood/situation or to relax (and of course still to pump myself up a little), which is why I listen to a lot of game music.
ImageImage

Dr. Sticks

Postby Dr. Sticks » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:44 pm

no dude, it's totally fine to not like hip-hop because you just don't like the sound. It's only ignorant racism to be like the people that don't recognize it as being an important musical outlet for people, without conforming to rich white music theory.
http://www.spingain.com/?ref=146518
Well put doog. You never posted anything offensive whatsoever
we know she'll be back, like a good bitch should.

Baconsticks

Postby Baconsticks » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:47 pm

y'all a bunch of playa hatas

D-puff

Postby D-puff » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:53 pm

no dude, it's totally fine to not like hip-hop because you just don't like the sound. It's only ignorant racism to be like the people that don't recognize it as being an important musical outlet for people, without conforming to rich white music theory.
Yeah, that I understand. I'm actually not to picky about what I listen to.Its usually just hip-hop and country I wont touch.
y'all a bunch of playa hatas
Yeah, pretty much.
ImageImage

Dr. Sticks

Postby Dr. Sticks » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:49 pm

shame on the nigger try to run game on the nigger D:

osprey

Postby osprey » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:39 pm

BIGGIE BIGGIE BIGGIE CANT YOU SEE. SOMETIMES YOUR WORDS JUST HYPNOTIZE ME.
OK. pants it. I lied. It's drum and bass. What you gonna do?

Ibun

Postby Ibun » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:47 pm

OSSY OSSY OSSY CANT YOU SEE. SOMETIMES YOUR WORDS JUST HYPNOTIZE ME.

Dr. Sticks

Postby Dr. Sticks » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:50 pm

OSSY OSSY OXEN FREE

Tom Flapwell

Postby Tom Flapwell » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:16 pm

I just wish they'd chosen a different title for this movie. Now I'll have to get specific when I refer to the Hitchcock movie.
See other much-maligned creatures in my webcomic: http://downscale.comicgenesis.com

Tarukai

Postby Tarukai » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:49 am

I'm not saying that there isn't any sensible rap out there, its just rare to find any that's actually popular enough to change anyone's mind about raps true potential.
Hip hop is art
Don't make another pop hit, be smart
Take it back to the start
Like KRS and Rakim use passion and heart

Hip-hop can be good. Take Dan Le Sac Vs. Scroobius Pip for example. Two white, british guys taking a shot at it. It's pretty good imo.
[00:34:00] <Dermy> I do love to manipulate the standard rules of language for opportunistic effect
[00:34:06] <Dermy> Like a grammar hyena, I am
[00:34:16] <Dermy> Munching on the tasty entrails of tradition

[22:26:20] <MuffinSticks> I'm a chocolate muffin with white ears and a striped black and red tail
[22:26:35] <MuffinSticks> And exactly 6 chips

My DA account, for those who care enough to look/click/etc.
And my FA account as well!

Return to “Anything”