Post a picture of your computer desk

A place to talk about anything (that doesn't belong in the other forums).

Moderator:Æron

klimt

Postby klimt » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:57 pm

Chris

Postby Chris » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:32 pm

osprey

Postby osprey » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:36 pm

OMG save 23% at Rona! When was this?!
OK. pants it. I lied. It's drum and bass. What you gonna do?

datherman

Postby datherman » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:08 pm

Necroing BECAUSE I CAN. And because every attempt to take a picture of myself failed.

GIGANTIC MASS OF WIRES GOGOGO
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

Æron

Postby Æron » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:51 am

Yay, I finally got around to taking a picture. Horrible quality though, because I had to use my video camera. (I don't actually own a camera.)

This is the BEST computer setup I have ever had by far.

iMac with an 1080p second monitor which I also use for my 360 display. An eyetv receiver to give the iMac TV and DVR abilities. (Saves buying a tv.) A 2.1 speaker system of which you can only see the left speaker hidden in the shadows. And a shitload of books on the desk's shelf above.

(Fun fact: I've had the 360 since a week before the console was released in stores. So it's one of the ones that had an astronomical rate for complete failure. But fail it has not, though it has given me the red ring of death three times now, but every time began working again upon restart. It also runs loud and hot and the A/V output is so touchy that a slight bump will cut the sound and/or video.)

I'm right handed but I use my mouse left-handed.

Also Minas Tirith.
Scurry, scurry, Scurryous! You might just be the murriest. You certainly are the furriest! Hurry! Scurry! Scurryous!

Segovia

Postby Segovia » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:57 am

Nice hardware. Although I don't really see the significance of a duo monitar. Care to explain?

A dude named Vince

Postby A dude named Vince » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:03 am

Nice hardware. Although I don't really see the significance of a duo monitar. Care to explain?
See more stuff at once. And that's pretty much it.
Like Shredder emerging from the ooze, I've returned for a while!
Gary's mod?

Æron

Postby Æron » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:08 am

Functionally, the second monitor gives the iMac a second screen that operates semi-independently of the iMac's built in screen. Simply: the iMac is running two displays instead of one. (The mouse cursor can travel from one screen to the other, allowing the two screens to function as one. If I move the cursor past the right side of the left screen, it appears on the right screen.)

It gives me a lot more screen space and makes multitasking much smoother. I can have one screen playing a DVD fullscreen, for example, leaving the other open for another app to have screen space.
Scurry, scurry, Scurryous! You might just be the murriest. You certainly are the furriest! Hurry! Scurry! Scurryous!

Segovia

Postby Segovia » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:09 am

Hmmm. Interesting.

osprey

Postby osprey » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:00 am

If I had the money, I'd be getting a 2nd monitor. Pretty nice setup, though I do find it ironic to see an Xbox 360 next to a mac. :P
OK. pants it. I lied. It's drum and bass. What you gonna do?

Archaemic

Postby Archaemic » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:10 am

Dual monitors are great for when you need reference. Put the reference on the secondary monitor, and what you're working on on the primary. Plenty of room for both, and you only need to move your head a little, instead of switching windows constantly. I love my second monitor (except for the noise it makes when it's in power saving mode--so I just turn it off instead)
[dA] | [LJ]

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:20 pm

When it comes time for me to buy a new monitor, I'll be buying four, and setting them up in a 2x2 grid, creating one huge monitor. Oh hells yeah.

datherman

Postby datherman » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:28 pm

In my dorm I've got my desktop, its monitor, and my laptop, so normally it's just single-screening, but when I'm bored I'll hook up the monitor to my laptop and dual-screen the night away.

Unfortunately it doesn't let me do twice as many things at once, which I discovered when I attempted to keep up with 3 IRC channels, 1 AIM convo, the comments on Thorn's live drawing stream thingy, and play WoW at the same time. But I tried at least.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:02 pm

I basically use my dual monitor setup for Firefox and IRC simultaneously, which works pretty well. Also, when I'm coding I switch workspace (cuuuuube <3) and have the code on the right and terminals, file managers and references on the left. When I'm on a school computer with just one monitor and one workspace it feels extremely cramped.

I'd love to have a huge bank of monitors in a ring around my chair, simply because of how evil genius that would look. Impractical, yes, but still awesome.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

Tarukai

Postby Tarukai » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:26 am

I basically use my dual monitor setup for Firefox and IRC simultaneously, which works pretty well. Also, when I'm coding I switch workspace (cuuuuube <3) and have the code on the right and terminals, file managers and references on the left. When I'm on a school computer with just one monitor and one workspace it feels extremely cramped.

I'd love to have a huge bank of monitors in a ring around my chair, simply because of how evil genius that would look. Impractical, yes, but still awesome.
To improve on that last part, make two or three hing out on a single arm for ease of entrance and exit.
[00:34:00] <Dermy> I do love to manipulate the standard rules of language for opportunistic effect
[00:34:06] <Dermy> Like a grammar hyena, I am
[00:34:16] <Dermy> Munching on the tasty entrails of tradition

[22:26:20] <MuffinSticks> I'm a chocolate muffin with white ears and a striped black and red tail
[22:26:35] <MuffinSticks> And exactly 6 chips

My DA account, for those who care enough to look/click/etc.
And my FA account as well!

Return to “Anything”