Books - currently reading?

A place to talk about anything (that doesn't belong in the other forums).

Moderator:Æron

Segovia

Postby Segovia » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:57 am

I just finished the book Night by Elie Wiesel. This book is way better than to Kill a Mockingbird. I highly recommend it to anyone into books about the Holocaust. Now I bring you a iminent response by nick.

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:46 pm

I just finished the book Night by Elie Wiesel. This book is way better than to Kill a Mockingbird. I highly recommend it to anyone into books about the Holocaust. Now I bring you a iminent response by nick.
I've never read it, so I don't know whether it's better than To Kill a Mockingbird. From what you've said, though, it's more historical fiction than TKAM is.

Still reading House of Leaves. It's a very strange book - essentially it reads as a book about a fictional film (that is, a film that is fictional in the 'real world' of the book), with parts from the protagonist included as lengthy footnotes, where he comments on the passage and his own life in a manner one might attribute to schizophrenia. It needs to be read to be understood, really.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

datherman

Postby datherman » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:02 pm

Night is nonfiction I believe. It's based on his actual experiences in concentration camps.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

Segovia

Postby Segovia » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:57 pm

I've never read it, so I don't know whether it's better than To Kill a Mockingbird. From what you've said, though, it's more historical fiction than TKAM is.

Still reading House of Leaves. It's a very strange book - essentially it reads as a book about a fictional film (that is, a film that is fictional in the 'real world' of the book), with parts from the protagonist included as lengthy footnotes, where he comments on the passage and his own life in a manner one might attribute to schizophrenia. It needs to be read to be understood, really.
See what did I tell you? I saw this coming miles away. Soon I going to be reading the Scarlet Letter.

datherman

Postby datherman » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:02 pm

I didn't really like The Scarlet Letter all that much. Basic plot synopsis from what I remember: girl commits adultery, refuses to tell who she did it with, is shamed forever by being forced to wear the letter. Plot twist at the end regarding who the person was, etc etc.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

likeafox
Administrator

Postby likeafox » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:16 am

I don't read.

AmigaDragon

Postby AmigaDragon » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:55 am

Just finished book 9 of The Wheel Of Time by Robert Jordan, now I have to look for 10 and 11, and wait for the printing of 12 (next fall).
Now reading Gateway by Frederik Pohl.
Also reading various online works-in-progress at Raccoon's Bookshelf as new chapters become available.

Also making a first attempt at writing my own short story. I'll let you know when it's ready, if you're interested (and if I actually finish).

----------------
Now playing on Winamp: Red Hot Chili Peppers - Love Rollercoaster (Loafer's Fatass Radio Show - KWKAT)
via FoxyTunes
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Dr. Sticks

Postby Dr. Sticks » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:56 am

I LOLed at the following link on that site:

http://www.spingain.com/?ref=146518
Well put doog. You never posted anything offensive whatsoever
we know she'll be back, like a good bitch should.

osprey

Postby osprey » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:57 am

I LOLed at the following link on that site:

I lol\d even harder at the Eric Schwartz hit counter.
OK. pants it. I lied. It's drum and bass. What you gonna do?

Angstwolf

Postby Angstwolf » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:16 pm

Reading bits and pieces of the Flight series of comics.

Caoimhin
Location:In the magical land of Jersey... Watch your step and don't trip on the cows.

Postby Caoimhin » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:20 pm

Titan by John Varley: This is some strange but good stuff o_O.
Stranger in a Strange Land by Rober A. Heinlein: Human raised by Martians... Do you grok it?

Books I've read during my long absence from DC:
Millenium by John Varley: Ergo Proxy owes SO much to this book. Good sci-fi. Re-l practically is Loise Baltimore.
Dune by Frank Herbert: If only Dune Messiah weren't in storage :x :cry: .

Dr. Sticks

Postby Dr. Sticks » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:22 pm

Caoimhin, please reccomend some authors to this poor sci-fi fan.

Caoimhin
Location:In the magical land of Jersey... Watch your step and don't trip on the cows.

Postby Caoimhin » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:45 pm

I wasn't a big reader of sci-fi until recently. I sort of outgrew fantasy :-P . Frank herbert is classic scifi, Dune is good if you havn't read it. I've heard The Jesus Incident is excellent too, but I havn't had a chance to read it. John Varley is good, but he appears to be an aquired taste (at least in my estimation). Millenium is about time travel, a few of the character types were practically ripped out of the book for Ergo Proxy (to give you a feeling of it if you've seen it). However, be warned, an android is refered to as a "walking dildo" at one point, but the delivery of the line is really funny. So if that kind of thing offends you I suggest not reading it. If you don't like Millenium, in the name of God don't read Titan. Its pretty sick in some ways. There is a race of hermaphroditic centaurs, with three sets of genitals (one in the back, one between the back legs, and one in front between the forelegs, and yes they do have gender however, its determined by the front genitals) and a complex procreation process that involves all three. I hope this post doesn't get me banned, I mean it IS in context. By the way thats not the sick part.
Stranger in a Strange Land is actually a social commentary. Basically its about a man whose parents went on a Mars expedition and never came back. He was raised by Martians and through complex legal procedings (according to Earth laws) has three legetimet parents (apprently bastard children in the one parent's homestate have a special status), owns several valuable patents, and effectively owns the planet Mars. All of these concepts are foreign to him and he has no clue what any of it means, he doesn't "grok" it. I have yet to fully grok the meaning of "grok" at this point.... I can't find where I put the book so I havn't read anymore from where I left off two weeks ago :-P .

Dr. Sticks

Postby Dr. Sticks » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:15 am

I'm about the same. One day I just went to the old used science fiction books and took a bunch off the shelf to see if they were good

I've read the Dune series, but I think the Jesus Incident is one of the books I've yet to read by him. The others should be good. I think Science Fiction isn't really good if it isn't social commentary. That and centaur sex.

C.Cat

Postby C.Cat » Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:30 pm

I'm re-reading Thud! by Terry Pratchett

Return to “Anything”