Compulsive habits..?

A place to talk about anything (that doesn't belong in the other forums).

Moderator:Æron

MuffinSticks
Compulsive habits..?

Postby MuffinSticks » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:31 am

Okay I've probably posted enough on this website, but I gots a question... I mentioned this compulsive habit I have in this thread. I got myself thinking about it, and I was wondering, does anyone else here have compulsive habits, or do I possibly have a mild form of OCD?
КТО ТРОГАЛ МОЯ ПУШКА

<Muninn> Too furry for saneville, too girly for boystown
see, how far raine dog got placed in the background? take that you blue bitch

datherman

Postby datherman » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:43 am

When I was 7 or so, I had to do everything four times. If I stomped one foot for some reason, I'd do it again 3 more times. If I noticed myself blinking, I'd do it again 3 more times. Every time I scratched an itch, it would be in a multiple of 4.

Dunno when that finally died out, though 4 does remain my favorite number.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

LewisTheTank

Postby LewisTheTank » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:02 am

Compulsive habits... I have like 30 of them.
The most obvious one I guess is my instant need and comfort to immediately wake up, do my normal bathroom routine, and before I even THINK about getting dressed, or going out for an interview I'm on the computer, pointing and clicking my way thru some websites or forums I frequent or a quick game online, or even one I own here, like Dune2k or SimFarm or even the minefield game that comes with windows.
The part that makes it seem pretty obvious (and in some respects seriously damaging I guess) is I'm the same exact way when I come home! I enter the apartment, close the door and head straight to my computer.
Main reason is simple (or at least I tell myself that it's simple): I can't control the real world, but CAN control my computer (and the internet) to a point. I have heard every single song I ever wanted to hear, seen more movies than I truly wanted, laughed at one page, cried on another, even found some worthy companions from yet another.
The internet (or at least my computer) is ALWAYS there for me when I need it. I can turn off my computer or close my browser when done, or back up a page if I don't like what I see. I can open a new tab and ask (ANY) question and get an immediate answer! (You don't always get that in the real world.)
Yeah, I know it's a lengthy reply, bu just tell me; How many times have I really REALLY said anything here? You asked, I felt the need to answer...
"Do you really think you have what it takes? Do you?"

rabid_fox

Postby rabid_fox » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:40 am

None, really. I find that most people with 'compulsions' just like to make a song and dance out of the mundane.
Thither

MuffinSticks

Postby MuffinSticks » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:37 pm

Compulsive habits... I have like 30 of them.
The most obvious one I guess is my instant need and comfort to immediately wake up, do my normal bathroom routine, and before I even THINK about getting dressed, or going out for an interview I'm on the computer, pointing and clicking my way thru some websites or forums I frequent or a quick game online, or even one I own here, like Dune2k or SimFarm or even the minefield game that comes with windows.
The part that makes it seem pretty obvious (and in some respects seriously damaging I guess) is I'm the same exact way when I come home! I enter the apartment, close the door and head straight to my computer.
Main reason is simple (or at least I tell myself that it's simple): I can't control the real world, but CAN control my computer (and the internet) to a point. I have heard every single song I ever wanted to hear, seen more movies than I truly wanted, laughed at one page, cried on another, even found some worthy companions from yet another.
The internet (or at least my computer) is ALWAYS there for me when I need it. I can turn off my computer or close my browser when done, or back up a page if I don't like what I see. I can open a new tab and ask (ANY) question and get an immediate answer! (You don't always get that in the real world.)
Yeah, I know it's a lengthy reply, bu just tell me; How many times have I really REALLY said anything here? You asked, I felt the need to answer...
Heheh, that's a pretty good diagnosis of your own condition. Long answers are always welcome. But what about constant motor habits, like what dantheman said? Now that I've discovered that a lot of people have OCD in their own little way, I'd like to go more specifically in MY field of OCD.

-Edit- I read my own post, and I don't know about you guys, but I think I sounded a bit like I was implying your response wasn't helpful. It is indeed the type of response I wanted, I just want to learn more about instantaneous motor reactions, like my thumb thing. Sorry if I'm being all "Oh I'm sorry, all you alright, did I do something wrong, blahblahblah".
КТО ТРОГАЛ МОЯ ПУШКА

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:47 pm

I have this weird habit where I contract my diaphragm to decrease the air pressure in my lungs, drawing air into them, and then relax it again which makes air flow out.

And the strangest thing is, I do it constantly. Partially because I can't help it, partially because I'm scared that if I don't I'll die.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

rabid_fox

Postby rabid_fox » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:16 pm

You're a complete PANTSLESS freak, you.
Thither

Rooster

Postby Rooster » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:18 pm

I've compulsed loads of things into their basic atoms.

Dr. Doog

Postby Dr. Doog » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:36 pm

When I was 7 or so, I had to do everything four times. If I stomped one foot for some reason, I'd do it again 3 more times. If I noticed myself blinking, I'd do it again 3 more times. Every time I scratched an itch, it would be in a multiple of 4.

same, except it was at the age 8, and it was usually 8 times.

like, if I touched something, I would have to retouch it to complete the following sequence:
R L L R L R R L because that would be undoing the intial touching, and the resultant two-touch sequence, and then the new four-touch sequence.
pants jesus
DCS should've ended the comic a year or two ago.

MuffinSticks

Postby MuffinSticks » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:28 pm

same, except it was at the age 8, and it was usually 8 times.

like, if I touched something, I would have to retouch it to complete the following sequence:
R L L R L R R L because that would be undoing the intial touching, and the resultant two-touch sequence, and then the new four-touch sequence.
Seriously? That's strangely complicated. Maybe the complexity of the sequence directly varies with intelligence XD All these oddities such as motor compulsive habits and synesthesia (as read in another thread) are oddly common. Maybe strange or different people more commonly have conditions such as these, or maybe I'm over-analyzing this. On an unrelated note, nickspoon is very clever.
КТО ТРОГАЛ МОЯ ПУШКА

LewisTheTank

Postby LewisTheTank » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:14 pm

Well...
...Sometimes when I'm talking to someone and if it involves explaining a phone call, I'll usually 'pretend to pick up a phone' (you know, the old thumb and pinky extended trick to make it look like you're holding a phone, when you aren't?) Then, when I'm finished, I hang the darn thing back up!
For something a little closer to what you're talking about, I think, I do have this habit of pulling on my beard or straightening out my mustache every few minutes...

MuffinSticks

Postby MuffinSticks » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:23 pm

Well...
...Sometimes when I'm talking to someone and if it involves explaining a phone call, I'll usually 'pretend to pick up a phone' (you know, the old thumb and pinky extended trick to make it look like you're holding a phone, when you aren't?) Then, when I'm finished, I hang the darn thing back up!
For something a little closer to what you're talking about, I think, I do have this habit of pulling on my beard or straightening out my mustache every few minutes...
Hah, that first one is funny. I have the same problem with the last one, except it's embarrassing because my beard is like an inch long and it looks like I think I have a real one. I need to shave.
КТО ТРОГАЛ МОЯ ПУШКА

GeorgiaCoyote

Postby GeorgiaCoyote » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:33 pm

I used to be a compulsivley orderly person. Everything had its place and had to go back in that place. I was quickly cured of that though my first time away at college. All of a sudden, clutter just didn't get to me anymore.
Nathan

LewisTheTank

Postby LewisTheTank » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:30 pm

I used to be a compulsivley orderly person. Everything had its place and had to go back in that place. I was quickly cured of that though my first time away at college. All of a sudden, clutter just didn't get to me anymore.
Monk is CURED!
8) :mrgreen: :lol:

MuffinSticks

Postby MuffinSticks » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:48 pm

Monk is CURED!
8) :mrgreen: :lol:
It takes true maturity to realize being orderly is a waste of time.
КТО ТРОГАЛ МОЯ ПУШКА

Return to “Anything”