How to built a Good Comic?

A place to talk about anything (that doesn't belong in the other forums).

Moderator:Æron

CptRaccoon
Location:I want to be in North America, but I'm in the stupid Germany. But Danmark is also nice.
How to built a Good Comic?

Postby CptRaccoon » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:34 pm

I'm sure it's already happend a Tread like that, but the most treath go to die, with useless but Interesting comments that is why al Forums need somethimes "the same" or "the same like" thread agein!

I ever want to make a Comic, but always it bored me on the 5th or 6th strip, how can you make it that it never mußt end. A endless story that ever is funny.
ANd what is very funny nad how and al whatever.

I thanks for al your ideas.

But I also tried for a lang time to make a Comic, u can read it. The link is in my Signature.
Forgive me my ERRORS.
I'm a german dork.
Wich want to be an american guy.
Pleas, Pleas, Pleas forgive me.

I want to know what u think about my comic i drawing in the past?
I've got draw 5 strips and 3 are alredy online and I want to say it was writing in the puparty phase who you like to have a girl, wich started last year and end this year in the week I got my E-Guitar (funy?). I say that bevause I won't that u think I'm an psycho or something. It is full of fellings I have at this time!
http://cptraccoon.cp.funpic.de/Shit%20H ... 00001.html
And please give me a feedback!

I love millie she is the sweetest girl of the world

Neil Armstrang said when he landed on the moon:
"that's one more slice of Lasagna"

Fritz

Postby Fritz » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:37 pm

how is commic formed

Dr. Doog

Postby Dr. Doog » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:56 pm

I find that a lot of the comics that are nice epic stories, and last for years, like Jack or A Modest Destiny (or maybe even El Goonish Shive) were actually written out almost in entirety way back when they were started. It depends on what kind of comic you want. If you want it to be a large story, like a novel in comic form, then you need to do that.

If you just want it to be kind of like Ozy and Millie, where it's a collection of story arcs that could last without each other, and there isn't a lot of emphasis on a progression of time (like, Ozy and Millie remain the same age throughout the entire strip with the exception of the style change in 2001), then I guess you just need to work on it a lot before you start it.

Years ago, on the old Ozy and Millie website, David had a section where he showed old versions of the comic that he had written. Some of the strips, he actually drew three or four times, at different times, in the early to mid 90s before he actually started writing OM as it is known today.
pants jesus
DCS should've ended the comic a year or two ago.

datherman

Postby datherman » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:14 pm

You could always follow the advice from http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... -Webcomics (nsfw)

Or not.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

Baconsticks

Postby Baconsticks » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:32 pm

Study Narratology.

Liz
Staff

Postby Liz » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:39 pm

Your sig made me lol. I needed that. Thanks.

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:10 pm

nickspoon presents:

THE VARIOUS ADVENTURES OF CPTRACCOON
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

osprey

Postby osprey » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:46 pm

Have my children nickspoon, NOW.
OK. pants it. I lied. It's drum and bass. What you gonna do?

CptRaccoon
Location:I want to be in North America, but I'm in the stupid Germany. But Danmark is also nice.

huhu

Postby CptRaccoon » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:10 pm

Okay I need more information.
The Idea with the novel can't I use, I had Tried to write a Novel it was only 12 Pages.

The one thing wich I ever can't in al my storys is my own don't write in the story. I'm ever a part of my story that is very funny. Or isn't it?

But i'm thankfull for al the answers!
Forgive me my ERRORS.
I'm a german dork.
Wich want to be an american guy.
Pleas, Pleas, Pleas forgive me.

I want to know what u think about my comic i drawing in the past?
I've got draw 5 strips and 3 are alredy online and I want to say it was writing in the puparty phase who you like to have a girl, wich started last year and end this year in the week I got my E-Guitar (funy?). I say that bevause I won't that u think I'm an psycho or something. It is full of fellings I have at this time!
http://cptraccoon.cp.funpic.de/Shit%20H ... 00001.html
And please give me a feedback!

I love millie she is the sweetest girl of the world

Neil Armstrang said when he landed on the moon:
"that's one more slice of Lasagna"

Ibun

Postby Ibun » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:38 pm

A Modest Destiny
You win for reminding me of the name of this comic. I had just remembered it the other day and couldn't think of the name.

EDIT: NICK WHY AM I A FISH?
Killin' the first born of lyrical Yul Brynners.

Comrade K

Postby Comrade K » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:28 pm

Nick, you are my hero.

Tom Flapwell

Postby Tom Flapwell » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:22 pm

I find that a lot of the comics that are nice epic stories, and last for years, like Jack or A Modest Destiny (or maybe even El Goonish Shive) were actually written out almost in entirety way back when they were started.
I doubt that that applies to EGS. Dan Shive keeps needing time off to write more, and he often mentions things he changed his mind on mid-story.
See other much-maligned creatures in my webcomic: http://downscale.comicgenesis.com

Tarukai

Postby Tarukai » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:31 pm

I find that a lot of the comics that are nice epic stories, and last for years, like Jack or A Modest Destiny (or maybe even El Goonish Shive) were actually written out almost in entirety way back when they were started.
I doubt that that applies to EGS. Dan Shive keeps needing time off to write more, and he often mentions things he changed his mind on mid-story.
therein lies the problem with writing it out sometimes. You tend to like an idea and want to change something to fit it in, and that can happen a lot.
[00:34:00] <Dermy> I do love to manipulate the standard rules of language for opportunistic effect
[00:34:06] <Dermy> Like a grammar hyena, I am
[00:34:16] <Dermy> Munching on the tasty entrails of tradition

[22:26:20] <MuffinSticks> I'm a chocolate muffin with white ears and a striped black and red tail
[22:26:35] <MuffinSticks> And exactly 6 chips

My DA account, for those who care enough to look/click/etc.
And my FA account as well!

Dr. Doog

Postby Dr. Doog » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:59 pm

especially over the course of ten years. I'm sure that Jack only had the general backplot, and not all the individual arcs, planned out ahead of time.
pants jesus
DCS should've ended the comic a year or two ago.

Rooster

Postby Rooster » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:05 am

I'm a keen planner myself. I tend to write scripts long before I even imagine a name or appearence for a character. I just have roles for them, ideas for them to say to one another...then after doing that I try to imagine what they'd look like. Then I give the character a name that suits the personality and appearence.

Most of my WFTT scripts for the larger stories were written upwards of three years before they're drawn, as then I get to go back and get them right.

Also, I'd add that with the graphic novel-esque comic I'm planning, it was really helpful to do really in depth back stories for the characters and settings. That helped, as then I had a foundation for the story and characters to exist upon...

That is, if you can still read this with me typing it out of my arse.

Return to “Anything”