Webcomic Hosting Sites

A place to talk about anything (that doesn't belong in the other forums).

Moderator:Æron

Tophat_John
Webcomic Hosting Sites

Postby Tophat_John » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:43 pm

Hi, this is John here and me and my friend, Maria, are starting a webcomic together coming soon, she is the drawer and I am the writer.

TWO THINGS:

A. We were wondering if anyone here knows of any good webcomic hosting sites for us to creating our website on for the comic.

B. If the website requires code of some sort to create the page could somebody here help us with that.

PLEASE AND THANK YOU!

We could really use your help.

Bocaj Claw

Postby Bocaj Claw » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:12 pm

There's comicgenesis and there's comicpress. Off the top of my head.
That which does not kill me, cripples me for life.

My deviantART account

Tophat_John

Postby Tophat_John » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:02 pm

Keep it coming, I could really use some help.

Anybody here know HTML, etc.?

Dr. Doog

Postby Dr. Doog » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:38 pm

a lot of us do.
Also, I would also suggest comicgenesis. I was going to suggest keenspace, until I realized that I am 3 years in the past, and comicgenesis is keenspace
pants jesus
DCS should've ended the comic a year or two ago.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:01 pm

Drunk Duck is a ComicGenesis-style site for webcomics. PorpleMontage hosts both comics and Flash cartoons and has a relatively small but active community around it. They don't have their own built-in archive system, but they allow direct FTP access so you might be able to install one yourself.

As far as generic free hosts go, FreeHostia is one; they provide up to 250MB of space, 5GB of bandwidth per month (a pretty good amount), PHP and limited MySQL space (important if you want to install an archive system), and best of all: no mandatory ads or namedropping. If you buy a top-level domain (of the form thisisarealwebsite.not) and attach it, people won't be able to tell it from a paid host.
The aforementioned ComicPress, if installed on a host that has PHP and MySQL available, will take care of all that for you, directly from an web-based admin panel. I haven't used it, but it looks like it offers layout customization too, so you don't have to wind up with a generic-looking site.

I would talk to Dandy and Company's webmaster Jesstech if you want to know more; I believe that site uses ComicPress.

Dr. Dos

Postby Dr. Dos » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:27 pm

As far as generic free hosts go, FreeHostia is one; they provide up to 250MB of space, 5GB of bandwidth per month (a pretty good amount), PHP and limited MySQL space (important if you want to install an archive system), and best of all: no mandatory ads or namedropping. If you buy a top-level domain (of the form thisisarealwebsite.not) and attach it, people won't be able to tell it from a paid host.
I'm surprised I got to see this mentioned. We used Freehostia for a MySQL class so we wouldn't have to configure it at home to be able to work at home. It was running extremely slow the night we had to present our group projects.
There's no real reason anybody shouldn't be able to learn basic HTML. For a simple webcomic you barely need to know any tags. HTML Goodies is where I learned.

Granted if you did plain HTML and nothing else you'd have to manually update everything, but it is simple and with a webcomic you'd just be updating a few links on a regular basis.

A friend of mine uses Wordpress with Comicpress
Anami: Sex with a giant, black scorpion seems fun.

<SteveThePocket> Geez. I want more of this stuff now. Now I know how a horny guy on an imageboard feels.

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:32 pm

We used Freehostia for a MySQL class so we wouldn't have to configure it at home to be able to work at home.
Well that's just lazy. MySQL-PHP-Apache is a single installer on Windows, and sudo apt-get install mysql php5 apache2 phpmyadmin on Linux.

Kids today.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:54 pm

LEARN HMTL!!!1! Over 400 hits!!1!1

Rooster

Postby Rooster » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:59 pm

My advice is Comic Genesis, and get a copy of Dreamweaver.

I mean, even someone like me with no HTML experience managed to make a somewhat working website...even if mine looks pantsless aweful.

I'm sure you'll do much better.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:41 am

We used Freehostia for a MySQL class so we wouldn't have to configure it at home to be able to work at home.
Well that's just lazy.
Says you. I never managed to get it working on my Windows computer, and Ubuntu's package manager wasn't able to acquire it for some bizarre reason.

Things like this make me suspect I'm a reverse technomancer by birth.

Dr. Dos

Postby Dr. Dos » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:37 am

Your new avatar is excellent, but the expressions in all the panels after that one were better.

<SteveThePocket> Geez. I want more of this stuff now. Now I know how a horny guy on an imageboard feels.

Burning Sheep Productions

Postby Burning Sheep Productions » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:52 am

That looks like Vinci.
Burning Sheep Productions

Dr. Dos

Postby Dr. Dos » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:17 pm

Dr. Doog

Postby Dr. Doog » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:34 pm

AHAHA, I knew I should have been reading that filler arc crap.
pants jesus
DCS should've ended the comic a year or two ago.

Bocaj Claw

Postby Bocaj Claw » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:02 pm

Krispy Kreme should not inspire such joyful rage.
That which does not kill me, cripples me for life.

My deviantART account

Return to “Anything”