Should atheists celebrate Christmas?

A place to talk about anything (that doesn't belong in the other forums).

Moderator:Æron

What do you think?

Yes
53%
no
35%
On the fence
12%

Total votes: 17

Holyman83
Location:A bluish sphere in space orbiting a star in the Milky Way

Postby Holyman83 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:22 pm

Should atheists celebrate Christmas?
If they want too? Isn't that enough?

Or do you mean only Christians should be allowed to celebrate Christmas, and nobody else?

What about Halloween then? My dad says its a pagan holiday. Should Christians be prevented from celebrating Haloween too?
First off Christmas was a pagan holiday too. We change the name of it and change the reason for it. Look at which one won :P

Halloween was a pagan holiday too. It was a time to worship the devil back when it was Saint Hollow Eve. since then the name has changed and at least to my knowledge means nothing more that "give candy to kids day". Note some people celebrant the "Day of the Dead" which is very similar to Saint Hollow Eve.

As a side note many (if not most) churches have a "party" for the kids on Halloween to keep them from celebrating Halloween. It is done in a similar fashion but called something else and keeps kids off the street.

Richard K Niner

Postby Richard K Niner » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:41 pm

By celebrate Christmas, do you mean they go to church on December 25th?

Or are you referring to the gift-giving part that's been incorporated into most practises for the season, as a chance to simple be nice to family and friends (or to spend, spend, spend, in worship of the almighty ¤)?
<center>Image
K9U | Dog House | Av rotation</center>

Miles E Traysandor

Postby Miles E Traysandor » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:42 pm

Merry Christmakwanzahannukaramadan! :P
This signature may spontaneously combust at any given moment. Make sure there's a fresh can of gasoline handy.

Remember, call in the next ten minutes to recieve your Absolutely Free Official Llewellyn Inaction Figure! [Shipping, Handling, and resulting Dragon Conspiracies not included]

A dude named Vince

Postby A dude named Vince » Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:15 pm

First off Christmas was a pagan holiday too. We change the name of it and change the reason for it. Look at which one won :P
I can see Halloween originally being a pagan celebration, but Christmas? Could you tell us where you learned that?
Like Shredder emerging from the ooze, I've returned for a while!
Gary's mod?

Angstwolf

Postby Angstwolf » Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:24 pm

Christmas for me = family + food + presents
Christmas for Christians = family + food + presents + Jesus

Foxhound

Postby Foxhound » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:51 pm

Meh. I really don't care which. There's commercialized Christmas and Christian Christmas.
Image < http://stopvirgin.movielol.org/
ImageImage
"No matter how cynical you are, it is impossible to keep up."

Holyman83
Location:A bluish sphere in space orbiting a star in the Milky Way

Postby Holyman83 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:18 pm

I can see Halloween originally being a pagan celebration, but Christmas? Could you tell us where you learned that?
It is actually in a lot of places. I have heard it at my college, church, and I bet it is on wiki too. it was most likely not Dec 25th that the pagans celebrated. It was however placed on the 25th to coincide with "Yule". It is also call a lot of other things too. This site look accurate.

SotiCoto

Postby SotiCoto » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:56 pm

Ever heard of the Winter Solstice?
If you are under the age of 18, you are advised not to interact with me.

Gecko

Postby Gecko » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:14 pm

All the cool holidays are religious. I don't care what religion I belong to, I enjoy the presents and candy.
QFT.

I'm atheist, and I really wonder how many atheists care about the fact that Christmas is originally a Christian Holiday.

To me, it's just a time to give presents and be close to family. Why should not believing in god prevent me from enjoying a day with food, family, and presents?

To answer your question directly, PR, Christmas isn't really associated with Christianity anymore so much as it's connected directly to presents. How many little kids do you think will think of Christianity (whether they're Christian or not) before presents when someone says Christmas?
Anami and Anami are sitting around Anami says "GRR I AM ANGSTY LET'S EXPRESS ANGST" and so Anami says "ONE OF THE MODS ON DC IS A DICK I POSTED A PICTURE THAT WASN'T REALLY THAT INAPPROPRIATE AND THREE MODS SAW IT AND DID NOTHING THEN A FOURTH ONE SAW IT AND DELETED IT" and Anami says "OMG I HATE MODS >:("

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:40 pm

A lot of people celebrate it divorced of the overtly religious symbols, or interpret those symbols in a non-religious way since Christmas has become more about gifts and spending time together than observing its religious significance.

12th February is Darwin Day, a day for all us atheists to rejoice and watch the many beasts of prehistory gobble up their Jesus fishes. :wink:

Loeln

Postby Loeln » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:01 pm

Actually, yes. I don't think it's right to be celebrating someone elses religious holiday.
Well good for you, kid. Who knows; maybe someday someone will care what you think, say, or write.
Just come up with an atheist version of giving gifts like all the other guys do for themselves
Done. I'll call it Christmas.
Asuna Kagurazaka, Negima Magister Nyoro~nEgi Magi

Fritz

Postby Fritz » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:09 pm

Heyzeus wasn't even close to being born in December anyways so it's not like it matters

Also DC is filled with godless heathens >:|

Dr. Dos

Postby Dr. Dos » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:13 pm

Actually, yes. I don't think it's right to be celebrating someone elses religious holiday.
Well good for you, kid. Who knows; maybe someday someone will care what you think, say, or write.
Just come up with an atheist version of giving gifts like all the other guys do for themselves
Done. I'll call it Christmas.
A day in which a guy named Christopher (Kringle?) gives out Mass presents to all. I like it.

Tai
Staff

Postby Tai » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:37 pm

Heyzeus wasn't even close to being born in December anyways so it's not like it matters

Also DC is filled with godless heathens >:|
It was a warm winter that year ok

CodeCat

Postby CodeCat » Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:32 pm

I don't celebrate Christmas. I celebrate Christmas presents. :P

Seriously though, Christmas is an ancient feast that was christianised. The feast of Yule, celebrated at winter solstice, is far older than 2000 years.
Furries? Are they the nutters that pretend to be animals and draw humans that look like animals? Christ, I sink my head into my paws... -Rooster

Return to “Anything”