Are Furries just Wannabe-Therianthropes?

A place to talk about anything (that doesn't belong in the other forums).

Moderator:Æron

KJ Fellie

Postby KJ Fellie » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:35 pm

Just as well we don't, then Image
... Makes me wonder then. If you don't give an iota of thought to the laws of physics... then how precisely can you justify characters having feet at all? What is to stop them merely floating in the air? How do they breathe if the movement of their ribcage needn't necessarily translate into a pressuring and depressurising of the lungs?

I just find there to be something rather.... obscene about choosing to accept part of something and reject other parts at one's convenience in that respect... especially when it comes to matters which correspond directly to one's ability to relate to an imaginary situation.
Two words for ya: Powerpuff Girls.
Quoth the spotted fox: <b>*yerf*</b> :locke:
You usually
have to take what people say
with a grain of salt.
(or in cases like
mine, a shaker or two may
yield the best result.)

むらがあるフォックス
If you miss my old sigs...

Richard K Niner

Re: Are Furries just Wannabe-Therianthropes?

Postby Richard K Niner » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:02 pm

Just as well we don't, then Image
... Makes me wonder then. If you don't give an iota of thought to the laws of physics... then how precisely can you justify characters having feet at all?
Because we felt like it :P

We don't have feet, a moving ribcage, etc. to satisfy the laws of physics, no. We have it because, in mixing and matching features, it never really occurred to us to get rid of those parts. And if it did, we decided it would be better to have them in the end.

Basically, to sum it all up for you:

We don't meticulously justify every trivial detail of our fursona designs based what physics would require, what steps in evolution would be necessary to develop the final form, or anything based on all those finely detailed rules that our reality happens to follow. If we did, making our fursonas would take forever, because every time we tried to come up with a design, we'd have to discard it as not applicable to reality.

This isn't reality, and so it's not bound by all the tiny little rules that reality follows. So you'll never run into a biped with a tail? Doesn't matter. Can't make human sounds through a muzzle? Also irrelevant. Having a pelt removes the need for clothes? It's not like it makes much of a difference.

And just because we don't meticulously apply every rule, doesn't mean we try to break as many as we can; before Galileo figured out gravity on Earth, people didn't know the finer details of how it worked, but things still fell (and took longer to do so from higher altitudes). Similarly, modern athletes don't need to plot trajectories just to catch some ball, and general relativity doesn't play any role in everyday life, because we are still slow enough for its effects to be negligible.

We don't apply every single rule in the book, but we don't ignore them either. We simply approximate to the extent necessary to live life.
<center>Image
K9U | Dog House | Av rotation</center>

Fritz

Postby Fritz » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:49 pm

... Makes me wonder then. If you don't give an iota of thought to the laws of physics... then how precisely can you justify characters having feet at all? What is to stop them merely floating in the air? How do they breathe if the movement of their ribcage needn't necessarily translate into a pressuring and depressurising of the lungs?
WHY DO YOU EVEN CARE

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:22 pm

Ever seen a female anthromorph?
Sure, the males are unjustifiable... but the sheer number of breasts on the females would easily counterbalance the mass of the tail (excepting the reptilians and avians of course, who don't have 'em).
I've only seen anthro drawings of females that have the regular human-like two breasts. I'm pretty sure that's how most furry females are drawn. I already said my "you can't really have a long tail if you're bipedal" was overthinking on purpose anyway.
I just find there to be something rather.... obscene about choosing to accept part of something and reject other parts at one's convenience in that respect... especially when it comes to matters which correspond directly to one's ability to relate to an imaginary situation.
You know when I read this I immediately thought of the first council of Nicea. Choosing to accept part of something, rejecting other parts, relating to an imaginary situation.

Jelly

Postby Jelly » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:28 pm

It's all pretend anyway, so why does it have to be so serious? It doesn't.

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:42 pm

No, I'm actually a hermaphrodite vampire dragon-bat-fox-wolf-rat-possum-platypus-basilisk lycanthrope with fifteen tails, magic powers and kingship of a galactic empire in the far reaches of the Universe which I visit via hyperspace rocket every week in order to crush the rebellion of the hermaphrodite vampire duck-mouse-deer-elk-penguin-unicorns with fourteen tails and inevitably end up in very graphical illicit sexual contact with at least two of them simultaneously using my varied plethora of genitalia.

And my kidneys produce candy floss.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

Fritz

Postby Fritz » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:56 pm

Kidneys can't do that D:<

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:15 am

Oh no?

It is a well-known fact that kidneys absorb excess glucose from the blood. It is also well-known (but untrue) that the kidneys then put the glucose back into the blood. Rather, it enters tiny cavities in the kidney tissue. Here is a handy diagram.

(The cavity is shown by the number 14)

Then, the large central pivot (shown by number 7) is unlocked, and the kidney can now spin freely. Muscular tissue within the kidney causes it to rotate at high speeds, turning the excess glucose into candy floss.

The candy floss, finally, is stored in cells surrounding the kidney in a process known as Morrison sucrosis. It is later consumed by the kidney using the multitude of tiny orifices and pointed enamel which cover its outer surface (not shown on the diagram), and this keeps it happy so that it will continue to filter urea from your blood.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

Jelly

Postby Jelly » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:36 am

"Kidney" would be the scariest furry ever. D:

SotiCoto

Postby SotiCoto » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:42 am

WHY DO YOU EVEN CARE
I don't.

^_^

I'm just trying to encourage people to think about it.

I've only seen anthro drawings of females that have the regular human-like two breasts. I'm pretty sure that's how most furry females are drawn.
I've been around some pretty hard-line furries.
There used to be quite a few of them at the Keep.
I saw some pretty crazy things... :-P
O'course, I haven't been around polling furries on their particular art-styles to take an average, but I HAVE seen a lot of the ... multi-mamms.

Too true, it doesn't.
Seriousness and feasibility are somewhat distant concepts though. I honestly don't give a monkeys about it in any case, but one of the main reason the whole furry concept never really appealed to me is that its particular brand of weirdness was never really justified nor explained. I like things to have internally consistant explanations to back them up.
No, I'm actually a hermaphrodite vampire dragon-bat-fox-wolf-rat-possum-platypus-basilisk lycanthrope with fifteen tails, magic powers and kingship of a galactic empire in the far reaches of the Universe which I visit via hyperspace rocket every week in order to crush the rebellion of the hermaphrodite vampire duck-mouse-deer-elk-penguin-unicorns with fourteen tails and inevitably end up in very graphical illicit sexual contact with at least two of them simultaneously using my varied plethora of genitalia.

And my kidneys produce candy floss.
You share Win with me.
*Claps*

I'm secretly an Anthromorphic Aurora-Borealis... and my genitals are made of anti-matter that explodes on contact with any normal matter.

The candy floss, finally, is stored in cells surrounding the kidney in a process known as Morrison sucrosis. It is later consumed by the kidney using the multitude of tiny orifices and pointed enamel which cover its outer surface (not shown on the diagram), and this keeps it happy so that it will continue to filter urea from your blood.
I want to feel your Loops of Henle all over me.

Okok... maybe not... but the idea amused me for a few seconds.

[ Rawr... Ph34r teh G!gap0st! ]
If you are under the age of 18, you are advised not to interact with me.

Loeln

Postby Loeln » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:25 am

Asuna Kagurazaka, Negima Magister Nyoro~nEgi Magi

Tai
Staff

Postby Tai » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:41 am

datherman

Postby datherman » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:47 am

Um, isn't it just for fun?
You. Are the greatest. 10 year old girl. I have ever met. Ever.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

klimt

Postby klimt » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:21 am

Um, isn't it just for fun?
You. Are the greatest. 10 year old girl. I have ever met. Ever.

QFMFT.

Tai
Staff

Postby Tai » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:39 am

Oh no?

It is a well-known fact that kidneys absorb excess glucose from the blood. It is also well-known (but untrue) that the kidneys then put the glucose back into the blood. Rather, it enters tiny cavities in the kidney tissue. Here is a handy diagram.

(The cavity is shown by the number 14)

Then, the large central pivot (shown by number 7) is unlocked, and the kidney can now spin freely. Muscular tissue within the kidney causes it to rotate at high speeds, turning the excess glucose into candy floss.

There are many flaws to your analysis quack doctor Nicholas

Firstly figure 14 appears to possibly be the renal body after the blood filtrate leaves the nephron from the distillate tublule but i dont know it's not the best diagram showing the internals of a kidney. 7 appears to be the urater and if it spun at high speed it would probably seriously damage your liver and adrenal glands.

HUMAN ANATOMY IS SERIOUS I DO NOT LIKE YOUR ATTEMPT AT MAKING FUNNY SICOLAS

Return to “Anything”