Processor battle!

A place to talk about anything (that doesn't belong in the other forums).

Moderator:Æron

AMD vs. Intel

AMD
53%
Intel
47%

Total votes: 19

Foxhound
Processor battle!

Postby Foxhound » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:48 am

Alright, DCers, I'm gonna ask you this (and please don't start rioting about it.)

AMD or Intel?

(As a side note, if you prefer, I'm curious as to whether you like dual-core or quad-core. Please elaborate if you do.)
Image < http://stopvirgin.movielol.org/
ImageImage
"No matter how cynical you are, it is impossible to keep up."

Sliver

Postby Sliver » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:07 am

AMD only, why pay more for the same thing IMO. Been using AMD for years and never had a bad one.

As for cores, dual cores are a must in this day and age, quad cores are still a little high priced but they are dropping which is a good thing. And 64 bit, again a must anymore.

Softpaw

Postby Softpaw » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:25 am

I've always been an Intel fan, myself, my desktop machine has a 2.8GHz Pentium 4, and my web server has a 2.3GHz quad-core Xeon. Interestingly enough, it would have been $20 cheaper to get two dual-core 2.3GHz Xeons, but I decided to go for a single quad-core and leave the second slot vacant for future expandability.

Holley

Postby Holley » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:40 am

Meh, tomato tomato if you ask me.

At work we have AMD laptops and Intel desktops, neither seems better than the other. I've just ordered a new PC (christmas present :D) with a 2.0GHz dual core AMD x64 in it, only went AMD 'cause it was significantly cheaper than the same machine with Intel Core2 McChippery.

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:17 pm

AMD has been better all the way up to dual-core but the Core 2 Duo blows equivalent Athlon 64 X2 out of the water spectacularly.

Nonetheless I have an Athlon 64 X2 because AMD is great. Also, the AM2 socket means that should AMD bring out a better processor than Intel does (still banking on that) then I can upgrade relatively easily. Until they upgrade the socket.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

Angstwolf

Postby Angstwolf » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:44 pm

I honestly don't have a preference. I have an AMD processor in my laptop, and it works just the same as the Intel processor in my old desktop.

I have enough patience that I can't even tell the difference.

Fritz

Postby Fritz » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:34 pm

I just like having a computer.
Last edited by Fritz on Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Flapwell

Postby Tom Flapwell » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:40 pm

I just like having a computer.
QFT.
See other much-maligned creatures in my webcomic: http://downscale.comicgenesis.com

Dr. Dos

Postby Dr. Dos » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:30 pm

I'm using a Duron.

I guess it's fine? I mean if you compared to a Pentium 3 which I think would be its proper competition.

I get a laptop for Christmas and it's an AMD, but I didn't care what processor it had because I totally got it for $400 only on black friday.

Fritz

Postby Fritz » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:53 pm

in before RKN and Mazz

Holyman83
Location:A bluish sphere in space orbiting a star in the Milky Way

Postby Holyman83 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:24 pm

I have a Intel core 2 4400 @ 2.20 GHz.
But I go either way with processors. I think my dad is also an Intel. My mom's I think is an AMD. In general you will not see a difference. Intels are usually a bit more fast and more stable, but the cost difference make up for it.

Tarukai

Postby Tarukai » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:01 am

Actually, there is one difference that I feel it crucial in my decision of Intel.

AMDs cannot run without a fan. If their fan dies, they die. Intels can run without a fan, but just not all too efficiently (and not for long, but longer than an AMD would).

However, with constant improvements being made, I doubt that'll be true anymore soon.

I think a quad-core would be handy, as it gives the chip more sections to work on different things, but I have an Intel Core 2 Duo @ 1.6 GHz.

Every computer in my house has an Intel presently, and when I decided to build my desktop (when I have the funds), I will be getting a dual-core Intel, but that's my own preference (nothing wrong with AMDs).

Although, I think Intels are presently more efficient as well, so the extra money does get you more (for the time being)
[00:34:00] <Dermy> I do love to manipulate the standard rules of language for opportunistic effect
[00:34:06] <Dermy> Like a grammar hyena, I am
[00:34:16] <Dermy> Munching on the tasty entrails of tradition

[22:26:20] <MuffinSticks> I'm a chocolate muffin with white ears and a striped black and red tail
[22:26:35] <MuffinSticks> And exactly 6 chips

My DA account, for those who care enough to look/click/etc.
And my FA account as well!

Arloest
Moderator (retired)

Postby Arloest » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:25 am

What the hell is AMD?
Who sleeps shall awake, greeting the shadows from the sun
Who sleeps shall awake, looking through the window of our lives
Waiting for the moment to arrive...
Show us the silence in the rise,
So that we may someday understand...

osprey

Postby osprey » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:41 am

AMDs cannot run without a fan. If their fan dies, they die.
However, my motherboard (from ASUS) can detect if the fan fails, and will shut down the system immediately, which they assure me will save the processor.

I prefer AMD. Better price, better overclockability. And as of yet, I have not had any reason to go for a quad core, my dual-core is fine for now.
OK. pants it. I lied. It's drum and bass. What you gonna do?

KJ Fellie

Postby KJ Fellie » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:08 pm

I have an 2.2 GHz Intel Core Duo in my MacBook, and an Intel Celeron 2.5 Ghz in my Ubuntu box. My roommate the ninja penguin swears by AMD, though, and grumbles something about copyright protection as he does.
Quoth the spotted fox: <b>*yerf*</b> :locke:
You usually
have to take what people say
with a grain of salt.
(or in cases like
mine, a shaker or two may
yield the best result.)

むらがあるフォックス
If you miss my old sigs...

Return to “Anything”