Define: "Cynical"?

A place to talk about anything (that doesn't belong in the other forums).

Moderator:Æron

Gecko

Postby Gecko » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:36 am

Benefits of Vista:

-DX10 (yay, gamers)
-Aero Interface (yay, epileptic seizure)

That's pretty much it... of course, I'm a gamer, so it's a must for me. ^_^
Anami and Anami are sitting around Anami says "GRR I AM ANGSTY LET'S EXPRESS ANGST" and so Anami says "ONE OF THE MODS ON DC IS A DICK I POSTED A PICTURE THAT WASN'T REALLY THAT INAPPROPRIATE AND THREE MODS SAW IT AND DID NOTHING THEN A FOURTH ONE SAW IT AND DELETED IT" and Anami says "OMG I HATE MODS >:("

osprey

Postby osprey » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:44 am

I game and I'm still staying away from Vista due to some compatibility issues when playing some older games like Call of Duty online.
OK. pants it. I lied. It's drum and bass. What you gonna do?

Gecko

Postby Gecko » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:52 am

This sounds like a job for an emulator!

Believe me, I understand. I almost decided to dual-boot Vista and XP. SP1 is coming though, and DX10 is slowly, slowly becoming more used. It'll fix itself. :)
Anami and Anami are sitting around Anami says "GRR I AM ANGSTY LET'S EXPRESS ANGST" and so Anami says "ONE OF THE MODS ON DC IS A DICK I POSTED A PICTURE THAT WASN'T REALLY THAT INAPPROPRIATE AND THREE MODS SAW IT AND DID NOTHING THEN A FOURTH ONE SAW IT AND DELETED IT" and Anami says "OMG I HATE MODS >:("

Holyman83
Location:A bluish sphere in space orbiting a star in the Milky Way

Postby Holyman83 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:24 pm

I have had only a few problems with Vista so far. Most of them are because the company that made the software I want to use STILL does not have a 64-Bit compatible version.

The MAZZTer
Location:Destiny, several billion light years from Earth. Also known as Vancouver.

Postby The MAZZTer » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:56 pm

I got a free [legit] copy of Vista from a Microsoft promo.

Fortunately I dual booted it with XP. I don't use Vista much now because it is horrible for gaming, DX9 on Vista has framerate drops up to 1/2 from DX9 on XP. Turning off Vista eyecandy and turning off all non-essential services and programs has little effect.

Nice try Microsoft. Let's see if you get SP1 right. If not I'll just wait for the next Windows.

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:13 pm

I very rarely boot Windows now, and if I need to it's good old Windows XP. It crashes surprisingly often, but that's to be expected. I'm probably just conditioned to expect the responsiveness and stability I have on Ubuntu.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

Fritz

Postby Fritz » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:27 pm

so how bout them macs

The MAZZTer
Location:Destiny, several billion light years from Earth. Also known as Vancouver.

Postby The MAZZTer » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:27 pm

Windows doesn't crash for me... it all depends on the quality of drivers for your hardware. That's the main cause of BSoDs... normal programs just can't cause them.

When I've used beta nVidia drivers I usually get BSoDs more often than when I use the stable ones.

CameronCN

Postby CameronCN » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:13 pm

so how bout them macs
Well, obviously they are the best, but I don't think any of us can afford one. :grin: (My dad just got one, though. He loves it.)
My DeviantArt | My LiveJournal | My Webcomic
Cameron is awesome because:
-Because he has an artistic style that is both complex and minimalist. This is profound!
-He once drew me as a roadrunner. It was an actual honest to god feral roadrunner, but a roadrunner nonetheless!
-He lives in Idaho among the wilderness and stuff and I envy him for that. 3:
-He is probably one of the most personable artists on here.
-I think he's the only one of us on here who drew a fanart that made it as a guest strip on O&M. This is an accomplishment!

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:46 pm

Windows doesn't crash for me... it all depends on the quality of drivers for your hardware. That's the main cause of BSoDs... normal programs just can't cause them.

When I've used beta nVidia drivers I usually get BSoDs more often than when I use the stable ones.
It's usually Visual Studio 2005 screwing up incredibly. I've never got a BSoD, which is something. Sometimes it happens directly after Windows Updates and I have to force a reboot.

My main problem with XP is that it's just so unresponsive. Not slow, but if you click stuff it just seems to take so long to work. Drives me mad :P

Also Macs don't have enough stuff. They're pretty and all but you can only do a limited amount with them. And they're so very expensive!
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

cheesecake

Postby cheesecake » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:09 am

I have a laptop with Vista and honestly I've never had any problems with it. And Firefox is overrated.

And please, don't get me started on Macs, I had nightmares after using one of those mothers

Extreme-Speed

Postby Extreme-Speed » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:36 am

And please, don't get me started on Macs, I had nightmares after using one of those mothers
Try one of the Windows XP computers at my school, and suddenly, those nightmares won't seem so bad. People can do so much to mess up those...

Gecko

Postby Gecko » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:28 am

Try one of the Windows XP computers at my school, and suddenly, those nightmares won't seem so bad. People can do so much to mess up those...
Hey, my school uses Win2k3 on most of them... oh dear lord, the pain, THE PAIN!!!

Softpaw

Postby Softpaw » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:37 am

Hey, my school uses Win2k3 on most of them... oh dear lord, the pain, THE PAIN!!!
Bleh, why the heck would they do that for desktops? Windows 2003 was supposed to be only a server OS...

likeafox
Administrator

Postby likeafox » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:27 pm

Moving, since this conversation has nothing to do with O&M whatsoever.

Return to “Anything”