Computer Woes

A place to talk about anything (that doesn't belong in the other forums).

Moderator:Æron

Blue Blur
Computer Woes

Postby Blue Blur » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:23 pm

Okay, you may or may not have noticed that I'm very rarely around, even less than before when I just lurked. However, there's actually a reason for it, and I figured this would be a good place to ask about my issue. See, I just built a rather crappy computer from spare parts I had lying around in a box after my old one blew up. So I got this thing going, registered XP on it, and everything seemed to be alright, until about a week later.

Now, already, I'm getting errors. At first I thought it would be a hardware issue, that I'd set something up wrong, but come to find out, it's Windows-specific, Explorer.exe to be exact. I'm not entirely sure what the actual problem is, but I will occasionally get a blue screen and have to restart or some programs will just close. The worst seems to be any sort of Browser. I've tried every single one I could out there, Opera, Seamonkey, IE7, ect, and they all do the same thing, quit with an error at random times. All I can recognize at the moment is my video card driver seems to be the culprit, but those are up to date.

Anyone got an idea of what might be happening?
I'm here, you just can't see me!

Triggerpoint is my not so new webcomic, and currently under heavy work before it resurfaces.

Fritz

Postby Fritz » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:39 pm

Clearly there is only one part that needs replacing, and that part is the computer. Get a new computer.

:P

Blue Blur

Postby Blue Blur » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:21 pm

And thus the Blur smacked his forehead. ;)

If I could do that, I'd have done it long ago. Nevertheless, this seems to be more of a Windows error than anything. I mean, the thing runs Linux fine, but I need Windows for many things.

Triggerpoint is my not so new webcomic, and currently under heavy work before it resurfaces.

Rooster

Postby Rooster » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:50 pm

Blue, as someone else who's experiencing computer woes, I share your pain.

Just drink heavily and shout at it...makes me feel better anyway :wag:

Dr. Doog

Postby Dr. Doog » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:36 am

You installed a bad program.

Windows.
pants jesus
DCS should've ended the comic a year or two ago.

Holyman83
Location:A bluish sphere in space orbiting a star in the Milky Way

Postby Holyman83 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:36 am

Have you tried reinstalling windows?
Also my might want to get a Program that will scan the sectors on the Hard Drive to make sure there are not error. The XP one should work...but I don't trust it when there are bad problems going on.

Blue Blur

Postby Blue Blur » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:45 am

As of right now I've used several scanners, and I'm downloading Sisoft Sandra right now for the trial. I haven't Defragmented yet. May help, actually.

Rooster: Believe me, there's been some shouting. And... throwing... and such... :?

gforce422

Postby gforce422 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:53 am

If you look at the XP in Windows XP, it looks like a laughing face sticking it's tongue out.

XP
gforce422 is awesome because:
-He made the absolute nicest comments about me in the other topic. I didn't respond to them yet, because I suck, but they are greatly appreciated! =D
-I would say he would also be a good runner up as one of the nicest people alive.
-He joined the IRC sometimes. But not enough, I say! Chat moar =D
-He is evidently only 18 year old but he could easily pass for 25. =D
-He is a drummer like *I* am and this in itself is cool.
Astro> gforce's smiles can cure cancer in kittens
Astro> the happiness radiating from your person is enough to solve tensor calculus
<mib_4do271>everything you touch explodes in pillows of happiness

Richard K Niner

Postby Richard K Niner » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:44 am

*throws in a Tux plushie*
<center>Image
K9U | Dog House | Av rotation</center>

baloki
Staff

Re: Computer Woes

Postby baloki » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:17 am

Okay, you may or may not have noticed that I'm very rarely around, even less than before when I just lurked. However, there's actually a reason for it, and I figured this would be a good place to ask about my issue. See, I just built a rather crappy computer from spare parts I had lying around in a box after my old one blew up. So I got this thing going, registered XP on it, and everything seemed to be alright, until about a week later.

Now, already, I'm getting errors. At first I thought it would be a hardware issue, that I'd set something up wrong, but come to find out, it's Windows-specific, Explorer.exe to be exact. I'm not entirely sure what the actual problem is, but I will occasionally get a blue screen and have to restart or some programs will just close. The worst seems to be any sort of Browser. I've tried every single one I could out there, Opera, Seamonkey, IE7, ect, and they all do the same thing, quit with an error at random times. All I can recognize at the moment is my video card driver seems to be the culprit, but those are up to date.

Could we have some further details of the system and the problem? Such as computer specs, errors messages and such? For now all I can suggest is re-seating the video card and seeing if that helps as it might have come loose?

Do you believe in Lady Luck Now? Yeah Lady Bad Luck!

Rooster

Postby Rooster » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:17 pm

Windows.
Nothing that's ever happened to any of my machines has been to do with Windows...it's all been hardware.

Blue Blur

Re: Computer Woes

Postby Blue Blur » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:40 pm

Could we have some further details of the system and the problem? Such as computer specs, errors messages and such? For now all I can suggest is re-seating the video card and seeing if that helps as it might have come loose?
I can get you the specs, but the error messages are a bit funky. I can never replicate the error in a similar form. All I've managed to do is figure out that it has to do with explorer.exe, as in the open/save/popup button/menu stuff. Basically, what makes Windows run. And the worst part is, it is as I feared, my computer is at full running capacity! Every program I've used says that it is free of viruses, file fragments, and all those other bad things. I've got 52% of my HD free, too. Anyway, complaints aside, here're my specs:

Pentium III 800 MHz CPU
462 MB RAM
Windows XP SP2
Nvidia 5200XT video card (256 MB)
SB Live! 24-bit Sound Card

I've checked every driver on this thing, so it's not a hardware issue. My XP is genuine and such, and I've used several scanners for viruses that all come back clean.

baloki
Staff

Postby baloki » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:39 pm

How big is the hard drive as it might be a page file related issue? Also it might be a hardware issue, unless you've taken every component out and tested it that can't be ruled out. Does the machine have onboard video? If it does, try running the computer with that and see if you get the error. Also did you resit the video card?

Finally if neither of those work it might be a memory problem, try running a memory test and seeing if that brings back an error.

Do you believe in Lady Luck Now? Yeah Lady Bad Luck!

Dr. Doog

Postby Dr. Doog » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:46 pm

Windows.
Nothing that's ever happened to any of my machines has been to do with Windows...it's all been hardware.
this is a software problem. in fact, it truly is a windows problem.
pants jesus
DCS should've ended the comic a year or two ago.

Blue Blur

Postby Blue Blur » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:29 pm

Well, I've got 32 gigs of space with 52% or 16.something free. I've already formatted it several times before installing XP. I've also defragged it and scanned once more. Still nothing comes up... It's as if there's nothing wrong, but I'm getting explorer.exe/blue screen errors everywhere.

Return to “Anything”