Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows

A place to talk about anything (that doesn't belong in the other forums).

Moderator:Æron

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:28 pm

Albania seems random in this context, its never explained why after being subdued to a fragment of a soul Voldemort decided to flee there where he met Professor Quarrel (excuse the spelling its been many years and I havn't reread the Philosopher's Stone). The whole Grendalwald business lends a hand in an explanation to its signifigance, but still something seems missing.
He made the ghost of Helena Ravenclaw reveal where she hid her mother's diadem. It was in a forest in Albania where she fled and was killed. He presumably found it and as the story reveals hid it in Hogwarts when he came to ask for a job. He probably sought Albania as a hiding place for it's remote postion as well as the connection to the diadem and Grendelwald.

Caoimhin
Location:In the magical land of Jersey... Watch your step and don't trip on the cows.

Postby Caoimhin » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:02 am

That, or maybe I'll read The Life Of Pi again....but it's not really a book you read twice.
The Life of Pi? I began reading the book about two years ago but I kinda stopped, this jogged my memory a bit, I need to pick it up again.
He made the ghost of Helena Ravenclaw reveal where she hid her mother's diadem. It was in a forest in Albania where she fled and was killed. He presumably found it and as the story reveals hid it in Hogwarts when he came to ask for a job. He probably sought Albania as a hiding place for it's remote postion as well as the connection to the diadem and Grendelwald.
Yes I got that upon reading, I suppose the remote area would be an insentive. However I don't believe Grendelwald would have been a reason, as he really didn't know about Grendelwald's connection to the Elder Wand or he would have otherwise gotten a hold of it quicker. Voldemort did seem to be very keen about his past, but I doubt where he found the diadem would be important enough for him to seek out Albania as a hiding place. I just find it interesting that a little country next to Greece would hold even that much, or that could be it, who would have thought of a powerful wizard supposedly dead to flee to such an insignifigant part of the world.

Taylor Nielsen

Postby Taylor Nielsen » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:40 pm

I really don't know how you can say either Harry Potter or LOTR's is better, personally, there's just no way one is better than the other, they are two very separate identities.
ANYWAY, I read the last book and I obsolutely LOVED it. It was brilliant, well written, surprising, informative (about the Harry Potter world anyway)and everything finally made sense once it ended. Oh, and by the way, Dumbledore rocks.

"'I am not worried, Harry' said Dumbledore despite the freazing water. 'I am with you'"

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:45 am

I suppose the remote area would be an insentive. However I don't believe Grendelwald would have been a reason, as he really didn't know about Grendelwald's connection to the Elder Wand or he would have otherwise gotten a hold of it quicker. Voldemort did seem to be very keen about his past, but I doubt where he found the diadem would be important enough for him to seek out Albania as a hiding place. I just find it interesting that a little country next to Greece would hold even that much, or that could be it, who would have thought of a powerful wizard supposedly dead to flee to such an insignifigant part of the world.
I think the connection he formed with Grendelwald at that time was that he was another powerful dark wizard. "An insignificant part of the world" as you said would be perfect to hide in, though reports of his sighting there appeared before his return.
I think the best reason of why Rowling made him flee there was the combination of the seclusion and the fact that the place had a connection to the diadem. It was revealed that Voldemort liked grandeur, he chose objects of extreme value or powerful magic to make as his horcruxes when he could have made them out of anything. So presumably he wasn't going to escape to some random place when he almost died. He wanted somewhere that would befit his magical connections and mystique.

Holyman83
Location:A bluish sphere in space orbiting a star in the Milky Way

Postby Holyman83 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:29 am

I would read this but I might read harry potter one day.

Return to “Anything”