Need something?

A place to talk about anything (that doesn't belong in the other forums).

Moderator:Æron

Tai
Staff
Need something?

Postby Tai » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:14 am

Need someone to look over your latest essay/poem/pixellation? Looking for something on the vast sea of internets? How do I played FFR? Ask me. At the least, I can tell you no :P

But really, if I can help at all, I will do so. With school starting up again there will be needs for peer edits of the dreaded "What I accomplished over the past three months" essay or thereabouts, or a thesis you need to write, and I will look over it (And be available for citing if the teacher/professor requests). Even if whatever you're doing is not for a grade, I'll tell you what I think.

At this point, you're asking "Why do I care what this random internet pubbie thinks of my work", it's always good to have an independant view of your work so you don't keep thinking along the same lines over and over. In addition, if you just want to share your work with me to have an initial reaction even while your work is in progress, I can view it thanks to the people at webEX. Basically, I have the ability to, with your consent (legally anyway :o) view what's on your desktop with a reasonable quality. So no having to render your work to export to share with people who don't own Maya, just show me what you have. The program also includes a butan that will give me control of your mouse, and a highlighting feature so that I can circle an ill-lighted area or that three note tie that sounds a bit off. For those paranoid about hax, you can stop my control with the click of your mouse (My friend tried to shut down my computer, he never got past start :P) and close the session anytime you want. You don't even have to let me connect to your computer if you really don't trust me, just send whatever you have over. Just don't expect me to have many programs to open stuff up with, expecially in the 3d image area, or be able to watch replays of many games.

In addition, if you have nothing as far as work you'd need a critique on, ask me something you've wanted to know. I have an all-around knowledge that comes from travelling the vast expanse of the internet, and while I certainly don't know everything, I have friends that know plenty too, specializing in 3-d animation, photoshop, networking, bunches of stuff. I'll bug them about it if I don't know what I'm talking about :v

If you've read this far, you're by now wondering why I'm offering to do all this. If you'll recall a few paragraphs back, it's good to have an independant view on whatever you're working on. I agree with this entirely, but I also need people's opinion with a few novels I'm writing. From my internet travels, I've found it's hard to get a really good readerbase to read a piece of fiction that is both monetary wise free, and better than "LOL nub". As a "fee" for whatever you ask me to do, I'll send an equivalent amount of parts of a novel for you to read. You don't have to have a Ph.D in English to do this, all you need to do is be able to comprehend this post (mostly) and you're qualified. I'd like whatever you can do, even if it's just "I like this part because gooniegoongoon and fofoffofo", but the more detailed and critical you get, the more I will be a happi bee. Plus, it would give me more incentive to really work hard the next time (hopefully) you ask me to do stuff. The first one is a virtual freebie, I'll start off by attempting your task, and while I'm off doing whatever I'll send a small excerpt for you to read whenever you get the chance. If I fail horribly, then ok, I won't expect anything in return, and if I don't get a critique back I'll put your second request on hold until you send it.

So, if you're interested, please join the irc chat, post here or PM me on the board if it's confidential (100% so, I probably don't know anyone you do enough to blab if they ask anyway :v). Note that although I check usually daily, don't be expecting an expedient reply as I have been demanded to pack for a day to go sleep over dozens of miles away in the span of 10 minutes, and I do have other things I'd rather be doing (such as saving my GPA or writing more of my novel). I'll come back to you as quick as I can, but bottom line if you try to contact me an hour before your senior thesis is due you'll be quite disappointed.

I await a response.

Return to “Anything”