The Stanley Cup thread

A place to talk about anything (that doesn't belong in the other forums).

Moderator:Æron

Rooster

Postby Rooster » Mon May 05, 2008 12:26 am

DAMN my Eastern Conference predictions sucked ass for round 2 this year. Luckily Detroit won, though in 2 less games than I predicted, and Dallas should still win, though it will be at least one more game than I thought.
Detroit won, but majorly because the Avs have like, five injuries.

osprey

Postby osprey » Mon May 05, 2008 6:41 am

DAMN my Eastern Conference predictions sucked ass for round 2 this year. Luckily Detroit won, though in 2 less games than I predicted, and Dallas should still win, though it will be at least one more game than I thought.
Detroit won, but majorly because the Avs have like, five injuries.
Yeah, that was unfortunately severe. Dallas wins in quadruple overtime tonight (deja vu for them of last year when they went 4 overtimes against my Canucks, though they lost that one :wink:). Round 2 matchups are set, and here are my predictions:

Pittsburgh - Philadelphia: Pittsburgh in 7 games. The Flyers have been good, but the Penguins have been better, and despite Martin Biron's stellar play and offensive prowess from guys like Daniel Briere and R.J. Umberger, the Flyers just can't match the offensive talent of the Penguins, and their goaltender, Fleury, is no slouch either. This will be a battle to the end however, and there is no love lost between these two teams from Pennsylvania...it's going to be a brutal series.

Detroit - Dallas: Detroit in 6 games. Again, the Stars have been good, but the Red Wings have been better, and they're coming off lots of rest after sweeping Colorado, wheras Dallas just finished a 4-overtime marathon against San Jose and now must fly to Detroit to take them on. Both teams possess a hot goalie and stingy defense, but it all comes down to offense and in that department, Detroit has a clear edge with perennial stars liek Zetterberg and Datsyuk, as well as surprise performers like Johan Franzen, who set a new team record for most goals in a playoff series, beating out Gordie "Mr. Hockey" Howe. The Stars meanwhile have been scoring 2 or 3 goals a game for the entire playoffs, and have yet to run into an offensive juggernaut like Detroit.
OK. pants it. I lied. It's drum and bass. What you gonna do?

Ibun

Postby Ibun » Tue May 13, 2008 4:16 am

Detroit sucks. :x
Killin' the first born of lyrical Yul Brynners.

osprey

Postby osprey » Tue May 13, 2008 4:47 am

I hate Detroit, but it's looking like a sweep at this point. FU Red Wings. FU.

Ibun

Postby Ibun » Tue May 13, 2008 12:52 pm

I hate Detroit, but it's looking like a sweep at this point. FU Red Wings. FU.
Detroit sucks by not sucking. ):

Rooster

Postby Rooster » Tue May 13, 2008 1:53 pm

After the game I watched last night, I want Pittsburg to win. I mean, christ that was a good game.

Also, The Red Wings are just about the gayest team ever.

Ibun

Postby Ibun » Tue May 13, 2008 1:56 pm

Surpassed only by the San Fransisco Flaming Fruitcakes.

osprey

Postby osprey » Tue May 13, 2008 10:35 pm

I would love to see Pittsburgh and Detroit in the finals. Both teams have kicked arse throughout the playoffs, and I think that the Penguins have a much better chance of beating the Wings than Philly.

And that was indeed an excellent game Roo, if you're referring to game 2 of the East. Dunno if you get the games live...

Edit: Wait, maybe you do. I remember my cousin who moved to Scotland on the phone with me during the finals a couple years ago, and we were laughing because his roommate said "hand ball" when someone gloved the puck down.

BladeRaptor

Postby BladeRaptor » Mon May 19, 2008 11:19 pm

Yesterday afternoon, my hometown team, the Philadelphia Flyers, were eliminated from the playoffs in a humiliating 6-0 loss. We are a sad city right now. But even so, we made a whole lot of improvement from last year. We'll be back.

Even though the Flyers Stanley Cup hopes for the year have been cruelly dashed, I'm not too upset. I started my first real job out of college today, and I'm in the process of arranging a face-to-face meeting with a friend I haven't seen in years, who I never would have seen again if not for the wonders of social networking sites. One who, if she turns out to be single right now, I hope to get to know even better :wink: . I'm too happy with my current good fortune to be angry about a game.
It is a mistake to fancy that horror is associated inextricably with darkness, silence, and solitude. I found it in the glare of midafternoon, in the clangour of a metropolis...

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Tue May 20, 2008 12:56 pm

The NHL officially has NO TASTE!

TyVulpine

Postby TyVulpine » Tue May 20, 2008 3:31 pm

Geez, I thought the playoffs were over? They're still going on? Meh. *Flips to NBA playoffs, despite the Wizards no longer in it*

osprey

Postby osprey » Wed May 21, 2008 11:39 pm

Geez, I thought the playoffs were over? They're still going on? Meh. *Flips to NBA playoffs, despite the Wizards no longer in it*
This is NOT an NBA thread lol.

Well, the Finals are all set up. Detroit vs. Pittsburgh. I have the Penguins over the Wings in 6 to take the cup. I have no analysis because I just feel this is how it's going to be and nobody probably reads my analysis anyways lol.

Zaaphod
Moderator (retired)

Postby Zaaphod » Thu May 22, 2008 12:52 am

I don't know much about hockey, but I'm glad to see the two finalists are from cities that actually have winters and actual hockey fans. None of this Dallas or Tampa Bay or Carolina nonsense.
Made by Angela. :D

TyVulpine

Postby TyVulpine » Thu May 22, 2008 2:18 am

I don't know much about hockey, but I'm glad to see the two finalists are from cities that actually have winters and actual hockey fans. None of this Dallas or Tampa Bay or Carolina nonsense.
Washington has never really been a "hockey town". We're more an NFL town (Redskins have been here since 1937, was in Boston from 1932-1936), and a baseball town (though were without a team from 1977 until 2005)

Zaaphod
Moderator (retired)

Postby Zaaphod » Thu May 22, 2008 2:29 am

Washington has never really been a "hockey town". We're more an NFL town (Redskins have been here since 1937, was in Boston from 1932-1936), and a baseball town (though were without a team from 1977 until 2005)
That's as may be, but the Capitals aren't in the finals. :wink:
Made by Angela. :D

Return to “Anything”