The Amazing English Language...

A place to talk about anything (that doesn't belong in the other forums).

Moderator:Æron

Caoimhin
Location:In the magical land of Jersey... Watch your step and don't trip on the cows.

Postby Caoimhin » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:08 am

You mean the whirlpool? Talk to Harvy again in Rosseta Town if thats the case. There are wilder things than the Photosphere.

Burning Sheep Productions

Postby Burning Sheep Productions » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:32 am

I prefer to pronounce Z as 'Zed', but I don't know the general pronounciation type here (Australia) since it's not spoken much.
wait till you get to higher maths. i'm assuming that the standard three variables are still (x,y,z) in oz. and then you'll develope a fairly good assesmet of how most people say and write these letters.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I was trying to make a 3D camera system in Game Maker and was asking math teachers for help on how the friggen hell you do it (they were useless) and all of them said 'Zed' rather than 'Zee' otherwise I would've noticed it.

osprey

Postby osprey » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:24 am

I prefer to pronounce Z as 'Zed', but I don't know the general pronounciation type here (Australia) since it's not spoken much.
wait till you get to higher maths. i'm assuming that the standard three variables are still (x,y,z) in oz. and then you'll develope a fairly good assesmet of how most people say and write these letters.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I was trying to make a 3D camera system in Game Maker and was asking math teachers for help on how the friggen hell you do it (they were useless) and all of them said 'Zed' rather than 'Zee' otherwise I would've noticed it.
Forget Game Maker for 3D. I tried that once, and the best I could do resembled the original Doom.

:ontopic: ZED! ZED ZED ZED ZED ZED!!!
OK. pants it. I lied. It's drum and bass. What you gonna do?

Postby Burning Sheep Productions » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:31 am

It wasn't to make anything decent looking, just to work out how to do it. (And this isn't using the built in D3D system).

Tom Flapwell

Postby Tom Flapwell » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:18 pm

ZED! ZED ZED ZED ZED ZED!!!
According to the guy in Pulp Fiction, Zed's dead. (flap flap flap flap)

Chris

Postby Chris » Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:42 am

ZED! ZED ZED ZED ZED ZED!!!
According to the guy in Pulp Fiction, Zed's dead. (flap flap flap flap)
Zee sounds better than Zed, y'know i pronouce the letter "Z" in "Zey"? >_>

Dr. Doog

Postby Dr. Doog » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:15 pm

I think I'll pronounce it Zed now. partially because everybody I meet (and I mean everybody) will be like "wtf speak english" and partially because I like speaking the way other people do.
pants jesus
DCS should've ended the comic a year or two ago.

Moddex

Postby Moddex » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:23 pm

Technically, that's pronouncing it as a double consonant. That's not allowed from what I recall in English Latin format. If it were Zed, it would actually have to be a word, rather than a letter, and it would be the only letter with a double consonant, so...
Stand Tall And Shake The Heavens For You Shall Be As Gods And Suffer A Far Greater Fate

CodeCat

Postby CodeCat » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:29 pm

I say Zed in English, and in Dutch too. I think American English is actually the only language/dialect I've heard so far that doesn't say Zed...
Furries? Are they the nutters that pretend to be animals and draw humans that look like animals? Christ, I sink my head into my paws... -Rooster

Dr. Doog

Postby Dr. Doog » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:19 pm

Technically, that's pronouncing it as a double consonant. That's not allowed from what I recall in English Latin format. If it were Zed, it would actually have to be a word, rather than a letter, and it would be the only letter with a double consonant, so...
wtf is double-you then :P
pants jesus
DCS should've ended the comic a year or two ago.

osprey

Postby osprey » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:56 pm

How would you go about pronouncing H, W and X then?

penguinita

Postby penguinita » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:32 pm

as someone who does a lto of higher maths, my opinion on letters (in the greek, roman, and made-up alphabets) and numbers for both spelling and pronunciation is 'so long as it is clear, i am fine with it.' having said that, for the love of all that is clarity, put crossbars on 7's and Z's!

and osprey- the name of H can be found in the OED spelled "aitch".
http://www.therainforestsite.com
~Is only a tiny, pocket-sized penguin ~draganfox
~NOOO! a mini penguin! MINE! I'LL LICK YOU IF YOU DON'T GIVE IT TOO ME! ~dr doog
~Omigawd! Personthingy's back!~bsp

osprey

Postby osprey » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:32 pm

as someone who does a lto of higher maths, my opinion on letters (in the greek, roman, and made-up alphabets) and numbers for both spelling and pronunciation is 'so long as it is clear, i am fine with it.' having said that, for the love of all that is clarity, put crossbars on 7's and Z's!

and osprey- the name of H can be found in the OED spelled "aitch".
And there are three consonants in there, which is my point.

Caoimhin
Location:In the magical land of Jersey... Watch your step and don't trip on the cows.

Postby Caoimhin » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:58 pm

I really don't think that "Z" is printed or typed as "Zed", its one way to pronounce it. When someone in England sees "Z" they would probably read the word that it was in the same way as an American would. But when they single out "Z" they would say "Zed", and they would think it as such, even though it is actually a single symbol. This is only a senario, I can't read minds, I'm assuming that people think in their native language or dialect.

Off Topic:
I figured out what part of the game, its when you see the golem Leviathan for the first time.

likeafox
Administrator

Postby likeafox » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:20 am

I've never heard anyone in Canada say "zee" except when they're singing the ABC song. Otherwise it's zed.

And has anyone ever heard of one of these being called a "sealer"?
Last edited by likeafox on Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Anything”