RocketGirl: Animator

A place for any sort of art you have done.

Moderator:Æron

Dr. Sticks

Postby Dr. Sticks » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:30 am

lol sorry guys
http://www.spingain.com/?ref=146518
Well put doog. You never posted anything offensive whatsoever
we know she'll be back, like a good bitch should.

Trance

Postby Trance » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:35 am

My point is that the discussion very swiftly escalated into hostile territory. I'm sure a lot of that was Sticks' "Crusader for the Underdog" asshattery, but another major factor is that your posts are very easy to take as an attack rather than an exploration of the topic. I assume you don't mean for it to be perceived that way, but there it is.

I agree with pretty much all of what you were saying, it's just I don't think the tone of it is right if you're trying to be persuasive. Anger is a huge stumbling block to being persuaded towards anything rational.

Æron

Postby Æron » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:40 am

Awesome vids, RocketGirl. I too am a rabid atheist. Not so much screaming, though. The rabies seems to have progressed to the collapsed-on-the-ground-and-twitching stage...

Lesson: never cross swords with a hardcore evangelical creationist; even if you just want to exercise your debate logic abilities... Mind breakage will occur.

Anyway, nice to run into a fellow skeptic on a forum not focused on the subject.
Scurry, scurry, Scurryous! You might just be the murriest. You certainly are the furriest! Hurry! Scurry! Scurryous!

RocketGirl

Postby RocketGirl » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:42 am

I agree with pretty much all of what you were saying, it's just I don't think the tone of it is right if you're trying to be persuasive.
Well, I ran into something like this on another board I'm on, one where that was the general opinion of me, actually. But then they actually watched these videos...an their perception of my posts actually change dramatically.

So, try this, just as an experiment: watch all three episodes of Rational Station again, and then read my posts again; this time, imagine Sandra making all of those points. I mean, I voiced her, so the delivery should be spot on.
Because on that other board, after watching these vids, perception of me actually softened a great deal; similarly, I've NEVER had this problem on my LiveJournal, where people know me and have flat-out said that they can read my posts as if I wee speaking them.
I freely acknowledge that though I write as I speak, I'm not READ as I speak. So...just try that as an experiment, see if it changes anything.
Introducing new Dark Side RocketGirl™: Quicker, Easier, More Seductive!

ImageImage

RocketGirl

Postby RocketGirl » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:44 am

Awesome vids, RocketGirl.
Thanks! :)
I too am a rabid atheist. Not so much screaming, though. The rabies seems to have progressed to the collapsed-on-the-ground-and-twitching stage...
Heh. :)
Lesson: never cross swords with a hardcore evangelical creationist; even if you just want to exercise your debate logic abilities... Mind breakage will occur.
Hrm...well, I freely admit to being stubborn as hell; they haven't broken me yet.

...yet.
Anyway, nice to run into a fellow skeptic on a forum not focused on the subject.
Back at you! :)

ImageImage

Trance

Postby Trance » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:46 am

I agree with pretty much all of what you were saying, it's just I don't think the tone of it is right if you're trying to be persuasive.
Well, I ran into something like this on another board I'm on, one where that was the general opinion of me, actually. But then they actually watched these videos...an their perception of my posts actually change dramatically.

So, try this, just as an experiment: watch all three episodes of Rational Station again, and then read my posts again; this time, imagine Sandra making all of those points. I mean, I voiced her, so the delivery should be spot on.
Because on that other board, after watching these vids, perception of me actually softened a great deal; similarly, I've NEVER had this problem on my LiveJournal, where people know me and have flat-out said that they can read my posts as if I wee speaking them.
I freely acknowledge that though I write as I speak, I'm not READ as I speak. So...just try that as an experiment, see if it changes anything.
I'll certainly give it a try. Don't expect everyone else to follow suit, however.

Dr. Sticks

Postby Dr. Sticks » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:49 am

I shocked that I didn't start this.
LOL

Hyperion

Postby Hyperion » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:14 am

Finally got around to watching the videos. I found them entertaining.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Avatar by kurorakuen, Shienvien. Used with permission.

RocketGirl

Postby RocketGirl » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:27 am

I'll certainly give it a try. Don't expect everyone else to follow suit, however.
I don't, really. It's work; people are allergic. I grok.

'Course, that might be the booze talking; I just got homr from the club and I'm, well...fashnookied.

Ter say the least. Just, you know...sayin'. There, like, any forum rules against posting while schnockered?

ImageImage

Trance

Postby Trance » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:22 pm

No, of course not. Bear in mind, though, that anything you post can and will be used against you in the court of lol.

RocketGirl

Postby RocketGirl » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:21 pm

No, of course not.
I've been on boards where it's an infraction.
Bear in mind, though, that anything you post can and will be used against you in the court of lol.
Of course. :)

ImageImage

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:09 pm

The fact is that these kind of matters are too big to be answered by mere humans like ourselves. It can't be answered so easily. There could be a God and there may not be. The fact is that the only way we will ever find out is to die.
This is wrong thinking in my view. Why can't these questions be answered by 'mere' humans? If we have the ability to seek the answers then we should. Stopping talk about it reeks of trying to shut down what could be an enlightening and informative few posts. There have actually been many people in past and present who've claimed to have answered these questions. Some of them set up religions.
The last thing we need around here are rows, especially about the big issues of the world that can't be changed by just us.
Discussions on an internet forum are not started or kept going to change the world. It just so happens a few people want to talk/trash/rant about some particular matters that are in their area of interest. This sort of thing happens offline all the time.
Aye, there's the rub. God is unknowable and the afterlife cannot be documented.
Although I don't think this true, it is harder to argue around this. It is certianly intruiging though. I am reading a very interesting book that touches upon how those very things - God and the afterlife - may have originated in humans.

Dr. Sticks

Postby Dr. Sticks » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:08 pm

yeah dude, what about the people that die? and then come back? they come back, and have tales of their encounters

Segovia

Postby Segovia » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:14 pm

*makes finger pyramid of evil* And it begins.

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:55 pm

The very fact that belief is something you hold to be true regardless of how you come to the conclusion, is precisely why I don't much care for the word
Still, I don't think you understand what I mean by a belief, RocketGirl. When I say 'regardless of how you come to that conclusion', I do not mean a belief entails disregarding logical steps. I mean that whether you come to a conclusion via logic or evidence or indoctrination or whatever, that conclusion is a belief. I understand, however, that you might see a certain degree of ambiguity in the term, so I'll move on to something else.

It requires a certain degree of faith to even believe that there exists a physical world. There is no evidence either way as to the existence of an actual material world, nor will there likely ever be. The only thing one can really ascertain is that one's mind exists (Descartes' cogito), and perhaps even that is shaky (J.S. Mill postulates that even such basic logic is inductive). There is an enormous degree of uncertainty, no matter where you look.

As a thought experiment, I put to you (by 'you' I mean anyone) a simple question: Do I, nickspoon, truly exist?

(I do not wish to go down the is-religion-evil route, because that one has been done to death. This kind of ontological question is something I find interesting, though.)
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

Return to “Arts”