Comic Writing Contest

A place for any sort of art you have done.

Moderator:Æron

CameronCN
Comic Writing Contest

Postby CameronCN » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:16 pm

As it so happens, I've been itching to do a short comic story in collaboration with a writer for a while. Since I haven't had a whole lot of luck finding one by more desultory methods, I'm going to hold a contest! The winner will have his or her script drawn and publicized by me.

Entries should be scripts for a story approximately 5-15 pages in length. It can be any genre, using any combination of art techniques you like (though please take a look at my gallery linked in my sig to get at least some idea what I usually do. You're not limited to what I usually draw, but you do need to take into consideration how I usually draw.) You will, of course, have co-author credit and share the copyright and any profits which may eventually accrue (though I don't plan anything like that at this time.) You will be consulted on the art--we'll work together to get a result we both like.

Content should be kept within a PG rating. No innuendo or serious violence, please. I mean, you can submit bad stuff if you like, but it won't win, because I wouldn't want to draw it. :grin:

Please e-mail entries to me at nielsen dot cameron at gmail dot com. The judge will be me. I'll just pick the one I like best and which I think would be the most fun to draw--so the winner won't exactly be based on pure literary merit. You have been warned.8)

Deadline for entries is Thursday, May 1st--three weeks from today. Have fun!
My DeviantArt | My LiveJournal | My Webcomic
Cameron is awesome because:
-Because he has an artistic style that is both complex and minimalist. This is profound!
-He once drew me as a roadrunner. It was an actual honest to god feral roadrunner, but a roadrunner nonetheless!
-He lives in Idaho among the wilderness and stuff and I envy him for that. 3:
-He is probably one of the most personable artists on here.
-I think he's the only one of us on here who drew a fanart that made it as a guest strip on O&M. This is an accomplishment!

CameronCN

Postby CameronCN » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:42 pm

Okay, some clarification, because some people were confused: the script should be for about 5-15 pages of COMIC. The comic page size is 6x9 in. So the author needs to kind of think roughly how much of their dialog would fit on a page, how much space action scenes take up, etc. While I will be doing the actual layout and composition of the pages, the author does need to meet me halfway. So, basically, a script laid out like this would be what I'm thinking of:

PAGE 1

Panel 1 (Small panel, close-up)
--Character 1: "Blah blah blah..."

Panel 2 (Larger, show everyone)
--Char. 2: "But blah!"
--Char. 1: "No, blah--"
--Char. 3: "You both are blah, so there!"

Something like that, anyway. You can do it however you like, really. 8)
-Because he has an artistic style that is both complex and minimalist. This is profound!
-He once drew me as a roadrunner. It was an actual honest to god feral roadrunner, but a roadrunner nonetheless!
-I think he's the only one of us on here who drew a fanart that made it as a guest strip on O&M. This is an accomplishment!

Rooster

Postby Rooster » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:19 pm

Hey, I've got a few scripts knocking around here somewhere. Gimme a few days to clean them up and pick a good one and I'll send it through PM :wag:

CameronCN

Postby CameronCN » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:45 pm

Hey, I've got a few scripts knocking around here somewhere. Gimme a few days to clean them up and pick a good one and I'll send it through PM :wag:
Excellent. 8) (No hurry, you have plenty of time.)

VenM2
Location:Savannah College of Art and Design. Not really, I just go there for school.

Postby VenM2 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:31 pm

Work made me forget this... darn it.

Tabris_The_17th

Postby Tabris_The_17th » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:55 pm

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...very interesting...
www.aiacrowd.com- Now updating every Tuesday and Friday!
"Like a post modern Peanuts with cat eared girls...kinda"

CameronCN

Postby CameronCN » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:45 am

One more week to go before the contest ends! 8)

VenM2
Location:Savannah College of Art and Design. Not really, I just go there for school.

Postby VenM2 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:49 am

D: Still got nothing. Darned school and projects!!!

Rooster

Postby Rooster » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:29 pm

Is it too cheeky to submit a script for my cartoon that I don't want to draw yet?

CameronCN

Postby CameronCN » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:31 pm

Is it too cheeky to submit a script for my cartoon that I don't want to draw yet?
You mean as in a WFTT script?

That wouldn't bother me. Then I could kill two birds with one stone--guest strip for you, AND the comic contest. :wink:

VenM2

Postby VenM2 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:47 pm

ah yes, that sounds like a good idea.

Tabris_The_17th

Postby Tabris_The_17th » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:36 pm

You mean as in a WFTT script?

That wouldn't bother me. Then I could kill two birds with one stone--guest strip for you, AND the comic contest. :wink:
What about an "Alone in a Crowd" script? :mrgreen:
www.aiacrowd.com- Now updating every Tuesday and Friday!
"Like a post modern Peanuts with cat eared girls...kinda"

CameronCN

Postby CameronCN » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:18 pm

What about an "Alone in a Crowd" script? :mrgreen:
Why not? :grin:

Rooster

Postby Rooster » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:57 am

Nearly done mine...I don't usually put stage directions in the scripts as I have them in my head, so bare with me :wag:

VenM2

Postby VenM2 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:31 am

As much as I want to refrain from using my own personal IPs... they are all I have. I wouldn't want to force you to make something that is mostly stuff that we already know about... given the number of times I drew up art of it.

Return to “Arts”