Adding a new dimension

A place for any sort of art you have done.

Moderator:Æron

VenM2
Location:Savannah College of Art and Design. Not really, I just go there for school.
Adding a new dimension

Postby VenM2 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:12 pm

Strange title huh? Well, in my free time at college, I jumped onto one of their many PCs in this hall and began making this. So far I spent 4 hours on this, not bad eh? This is a 3d version of Millie in the works. unfortunately this is made in 3DS Max 8. I have version 7 at home meaning that I won't be able to work on this at home until I upgrade or buy the newer version. Don't worry about it, I have the money to buy a brand spankin' new 3DS Max 9, all $400 of it.

PS: I am planning on getting a SWEEET AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400 soon. This dual core processor will rock my PC, what does that mean? I can make stuff more detailed than before :grin: .

BTW: I DID NOT USE ANY REFERENCES!!!

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:14 pm

The 5400 is quite a beast. Plus, AMD have just cut the prices. You might want to consider a 5200+ though - 200MHz lower clockspeed, but double the L2 cache.

Looking good by the way :)
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

The Donmeister

Postby The Donmeister » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:31 am

Looking good Donnie! I look forward to seeing the finished product.

Also, I wouldn't bother with a dual-core processor. I'm still using a 3000+, and it runs fine. I recommend getting 2/4 GB ram and a decent graphics card instead.

VenM2
Location:Savannah College of Art and Design. Not really, I just go there for school.

Postby VenM2 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:02 am

Your wrong there man, the graphics card means almost nothing when it comes to rendering a scene. It is all done by the processor with the card only used in the view ports for real time modeling. I also have no idea why the lines got thick on some parts but still looks good. BTW, I'm now considering getting a X2 6000 instead. I have the money, so why now :grin: ?

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:04 pm

As per these benchmarks, you might want to consider an Intel processor. Personally I love AMD and won't use anything else, but anyway.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

VenM2

Postby VenM2 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:04 pm

I can't do intel, my motherboard won't support them and it is already high end. Besides, who the %*$ would care about a game going over 100fps? Sure that may sound good but it doesn't matter at all to me. Encoding? I don't do much encoding anyways. This processor will keep me in the loop and not fall behind, even if quad cores are coming.

Luke B.

Postby Luke B. » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:28 pm

Woah, keep us updated, that looks like it could be awesome once finished.

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:34 pm

Oh, if you're just upgrading, by all means get an AMD processor. Just make sure it fits your socket :)

Rymn_the_Silver_Wolfe
Location:Where it never really rains and the wind blows all the time...

Postby Rymn_the_Silver_Wolfe » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:24 pm

looking good donnie. I look forward to the final product
"Will provide pseudo-insightful commentary for food" ~ Ozymandias Llewellyn

"Yes we can't!" ~ WSonic87 / Wes
"4h|V| 743 f43r57 743 yu53 1337 5c07735h!!!1!11!!" ~ WSonic87 / Wes

My DeviantArt
My DA Print Store

The book I did the cover art for:
Advent Phoenix

The Donmeister

Postby The Donmeister » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:48 am

Intel processors are so much more expensive...

Though I see your point Donnie. I do a lot of gaming, so I need a nice graphics card, but if it won't help with static rendering, then nevermind.

VenM2

Postby VenM2 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:41 pm

Indeed. Besides, I have a decent GF 6800XT. Though it is now medium level these days, it handles itself well.

VenM2

Postby VenM2 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:34 pm

UPDATE:
Finally back at school :grin:
I have done some more modeling on Millie's head and managed to get that little ink effect to represent the back of the neck. I never thought it possible for me but it was done :grin: .

The cel shading materials seem to be doing their job very well this time. No, CG animation is not going to replace old fashioned hand drawing anytime soon.

EDIT:

Millie now has FANGS!!!

UPDATE 2

Millie has HAIR!!! Err, SOME HAIR!!!

Any Comments?

VenM2

Postby VenM2 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:24 pm

I'm not feeling the love. Especially given that I'm almost done with her head:

So what do you think?

The MAZZTer
Location:Destiny, several billion light years from Earth. Also known as Vancouver.

Postby The MAZZTer » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:30 am

The cel shaders are perfect. Just spend a little more time with some references tweaking the various vertices... there's things that look not quite right all over the place, but the muzzle seems especially thin and long.

Also since when do her side fur whisker things split into three points? Reminds me of something from Sonic.

Seriously, references aren't gonna kill you :o

VenM2

Postby VenM2 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:44 am

No, but getting them from school isn't cake since this isn't class work. Much of it was during free time and memory, and I actually kinda liked the freedom of not using references. Well, when I get a newer version of 3ds here at home I will be able to more actively work on this. Until then much of it has to be done in school.

Return to “Arts”