McCloskey Grandeur (AKA the "help me learn HTML" t

A place for any sort of art you have done.

Moderator:Æron

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:43 pm

I would recommend, if you want to not come off as greedy, to just ask for Photoshop Elements rather than the whole $700 program. I use it for my stuff and it works just as well as Photoshop for everything I need it to do for me.

As for tablets, the only two decent brands I know of are Wacom and Aiptek, the former being what I have and the latter being Caigan's weapon of choice. For what it's worth, the Wacom, though twice as expensive, also comes bundled with the aforementioned Photoshop Elements. (I would recommend not springing for anything more high-level than the Graphire though; I tried an Intuos once and it was very hard to work with for some reason.)

osprey

Postby osprey » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:09 pm

I have the full Photoshop on my desktop, and Elements on my laptop. I can honestly say I have never used any feature that Elements isn't capable of.
OK. pants it. I lied. It's drum and bass. What you gonna do?

Niko123000

Postby Niko123000 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:43 pm

...and Canon scanner and printer.
Actually I think that's a what I might have on my Main Desktop comp, a Canon 3 in 1 Scanner Printer Copier, and I thought (because we lost the software to install it LOOOOOONNNNGGG ago)) that I might think about that.

And I've also heard about the Wacom tablets, and that they are a very good choice. It's actually the only Type of Tablet I've heard of. And if It comes with Photoshop Elements, I'll probabaly go with that. Now to go internet Surfing >.>

EDIT: I've been looking at Wacom Tablets, and it seems that the largest size I can find for it is 6x8. Because I have no clue about Tablets, I'm just wondering is size does matter.
"No sir, I am not Insane, I just have Anger issues..." ~ The First words i said to my Counselor after I got kicked off the bus.
Wait, you want to see my Art? It ain't much to look at...
Titanic fans rejoice! I have a Titanic RP board. Only... not on the Titanic... and kinda on the Teen side...Nothing real gratuitous though!
"Evil isn't doing bad. It's doing bad and not Feeling bad about it afterwards." ~ Avaric, Wicked. Think about that the next tiem you call someone evil.

Tavis
Moderator (retired)

Postby Tavis » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:38 am

I don't really have a tablet, so it might be fair to ignore this paragraph... but for those tablets, I think the size only matters in terms of your comfort level and the resolution. The former can be one way or another-- it is strictly about whether you are comfortable with a drawing surface that large or small. The latter I don't believe is of big importance because you have tools that let you zoom in and out of drawings. I guess it matters if you want a very precise and large curve.

What I would really prefer is a tablet computer, so that what I draw will appear directly under my drawing surface. But... since that's a bit of a premium in cost, I opted with the much cheaper scanner option. I got a Visioneer Onetouch 8900 from Big Lots for about 30 bucks, and it came with an old version of Photoshop (5.0 LE). The software is a bit more crippled in that it doesn't have some of the newer tools like the Healing Brush, and isn't there some perspective correction tool for Elements? The hardware's a little bulky for portable use; you'll want a desk for the big lug. But I am sure you can find a reasonably good ultra-slim Canon for under $100. Hm... Oh, you have a Canon 3-in-1? You should be able to find new drivers for it on Canon's website, no problem.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:45 am

The thing about tablet computers is that they may or may not actually have the pressure sensitivity that stand-alone units do. I've never yet tried using a tablet laptop with a program such as OpenCanvas or Photoshop that supports pressure sensitivity in the first place, so I wouldn't know. But it certainly would make a difference; pressure sensitivity is what lets you make awesome pen strokes that can taper to a point at the ends, much like what D.C. achieves in "Ozy and Millie" with a watercolor brush.

Tavis
Moderator (retired)

Postby Tavis » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:56 am

I think that's the other reason I haven't gotten into tablet PC's. I've seen the lack of pressure sensitivity on some models and figured that would be unacceptable as well. I do believe there are a few that do, however, albeit rare and probably even more expensive. Still, that'd be a dream machine for computer artistry.

On a side note, I know there is a kernel rewrite for some models of the Sharp Zaurus PDA that adds pressure sensitivity to its touch-screen. However, the technology for its touchscreen/digitizer is not the same as the type used in tablet PCs.

osprey

Postby osprey » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:46 am

I am certain there are pressure-sensitive tablet PCs out there, as the pressure sensitivity technology does exist, though they are likely quite hard on the wallet. I may have to go and see if I can find any floor models around town to test.
OK. pants it. I lied. It's drum and bass. What you gonna do?

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:51 pm

Use traditional materials...

cried a lone voice in the digital wilderness.

Richard K Niner

Postby Richard K Niner » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:04 pm

A lone voice? I draw on paper too, y'know (and then scan it in to color, but still)
<center>Image
K9U | Dog House | Av rotation</center>

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:44 pm

A lone voice? I draw on paper too, y'know (and then scan it in to color, but still)
I was just going by what the conversation here had turned to. I'm not against all the fancy photoshopy things, I just don't prefer them.

Bocaj Claw

Postby Bocaj Claw » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:02 pm

I also draw on paper. With pencils. And that one thing that erases.
That which does not kill me, cripples me for life.

My deviantART account

Tavis
Moderator (retired)

Postby Tavis » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:08 pm

Hey, just because I think they're pretty cool doesn't mean I use them either. :sad: The moral of this story is to not waste too much money on a drawing system until you have some groundwork done on the basics.

In short, instead of looking for fancy computer equipment, try looking for suitable materials that you can take with you to practice anywhere. My most useful drawing tool is my clipboard... it lets me carry my paper, pencils, and other basic artsy stuff almost anywhere, so if I am waiting somewhere or just suddenly get a flash of inspiration, I'm ready for it. I also have a smaller padfolio for places the clipboard can't go.

Of course, if you just want something good for serious drawing at home, a art kit will be most useful. Since you already have the scanner, all of this stuff can easily be put on the computer, as long as you don't go beyond the scanner's size (usually 8.5" x 11" letter paper.)

Niko123000

Postby Niko123000 » Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:50 pm

I do have stuff I take with me so I can draw anywhere, I have my Sketchpad, Pecils, Pigma Micron Pen, and erasers. The only thing is I don't get much time to actually draw, and when I do, I want them to come out good quality, which is why I keep looking for a better way to create a certain effect. for example, I recently found a very nice way to make flames that makes them look incredibly realistic, but I'm still trying to find ways for other stuff like Fur and hair.

And the reason for the tablet is because I have a hard enbough time using the mouse to color. I can use pens and pencils with nice easy strokes, but the mouse is hard, and I can't color with pencils or Markers for beans :P

anyway I have a new problem that does in fact go back tot he actual comic. For some reason, the links page isn't working. It is working in the sense that it's their, but any of the links I used a banner for, don't show Up.

here's the link page as it is: http://mccloskey.comicgenesis.com/links.html

you'll notice that not all of the things are actually links, and it's because the banners won't show up. I'm pretty sure i have them right. I placed them in the /workspace/images folder, and I linked to them, but this was almost 2 weeks ago, and they still aren't showing.
"No sir, I am not Insane, I just have Anger issues..." ~ The First words i said to my Counselor after I got kicked off the bus.
Titanic fans rejoice! I have a Titanic RP board. Only... not on the Titanic... and kinda on the Teen side...Nothing real gratuitous though!
"Evil isn't doing bad. It's doing bad and not Feeling bad about it afterwards." ~ Avaric, Wicked. Think about that the next tiem you call someone evil.

Niko123000

Postby Niko123000 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:30 am

Well, There's been an Update to the Comic in terms of Many things.

For one, the Links page is Finnally working. thanks Blue Blur for helping me out with that problem. Now all ((or most)) of the Links show, and if they don't, they have alt links. There's also been a few more stuff added.

Two, I've got a Link Exchange already set up with one of the Comics I'm linking too, and am going to try and get another. Hopefully this will get me more hits.

Three, I've figured out Tables, yes, I have figured them out. How? With THE ALL IN ONE CREATING WEB PAGES FOR DUMMIES DESK REFRENCE. It's nine books in one, and thanks to the HTML one, I now Understand tables, as well as a few other things.

I now Have a Plan for the Cast Page, and have everthing pretty much set, but there's another thing I need to know. Is there a way to have text Wrap around an Image? I would like to know for the plan I have.

Return to “Arts”