Monday 12.08.08 Of dragons and princesses

Discussion of any of the archived O&M comics, and potential new ones should they ever come about.

Moderator:Æron

Tom Flapwell

Postby Tom Flapwell » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:14 pm

Millie looses Ozy in some desert and he dies, but not before it being revealed that he's an alien.

Then he's reincarnated as Millie's little brother.
That's not worse; that's awesome.
The story in the dream was also drawn in the style of Carl Barks.
A.k.a. Karl Marx with a headcold.
See other much-maligned creatures in my webcomic: http://downscale.comicgenesis.com

Ormur

Postby Ormur » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:06 pm

In retrospect it's pretty original but at the time I found it too sad and the twist at the end a rather pathetic way to make up for it.

Mista_B

Postby Mista_B » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:24 pm

Oops, looks like DC forgot comics are suppose to have punch lines
Funny is overrated, and isn't the only way to build an interesting comic - for example, going for poignant, or insightful, shocking or tender, romantic, etc; humor in comics is just a tool like any other, and it isn't the only tool. People who forget that usually make crap comics.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." <br>-- Bertrand Russell

Dr. Sticks

Postby Dr. Sticks » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:02 pm

Why do we have so many nazis on DC

Mista_B

Postby Mista_B » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:30 pm

Yeah, get out nazis, nobody likes your style.
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." <br>-- Bertrand Russell

Segovia

Postby Segovia » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:52 pm

Let me just add that to the list of reasons I don't like you.
Which part? The part where I tried to write in German, or the part where I said I like Pammstein over the toten hosen?

Segovia

Postby Segovia » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:53 pm

There are not Nazis. Just people who know German.

Tarukai

Postby Tarukai » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:59 pm

Let me just add that to the list of reasons I don't like you.
Which part? The part where I tried to write in German, or the part where I said I like Pammstein over the toten hosen?
*Rammstein.
[00:34:00] <Dermy> I do love to manipulate the standard rules of language for opportunistic effect
[00:34:06] <Dermy> Like a grammar hyena, I am
[00:34:16] <Dermy> Munching on the tasty entrails of tradition

[22:26:20] <MuffinSticks> I'm a chocolate muffin with white ears and a striped black and red tail
[22:26:35] <MuffinSticks> And exactly 6 chips

My DA account, for those who care enough to look/click/etc.
And my FA account as well!

Segovia

Postby Segovia » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:26 pm

Yeah that's what i meant. Sorry I don't proof read my things

Tarukai

Postby Tarukai » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:28 pm

It's okay. Just thought I'd try to help.

Also, I tend not to proofread mine either, so don't worry.
[00:34:00] <Dermy> I do love to manipulate the standard rules of language for opportunistic effect
[00:34:06] <Dermy> Like a grammar hyena, I am
[00:34:16] <Dermy> Munching on the tasty entrails of tradition

[22:26:20] <MuffinSticks> I'm a chocolate muffin with white ears and a striped black and red tail
[22:26:35] <MuffinSticks> And exactly 6 chips

My DA account, for those who care enough to look/click/etc.
And my FA account as well!

Dr. Sticks

Postby Dr. Sticks » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:34 am

me deither

Segovia

Postby Segovia » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:59 am

Before that she dreamed of being swept off her feet by a reverse aging pirate captain with a tendency to smack Amway distributors with a raw fish.
Exactly. Lewellyn himself called Locke the great love of Ms. Mudd's life. Now, she's saying she always wanted to marry a dragon? :? I gotta cry foul at that.
DCS seems to be trying very hard to make us forget Capt. Locke ever existed or was a major part of Ms. Mudd's life. I'm surprised DCS hasn't suddenly made someone else Millie's father.

All that aside, the strip is just OK. I liked Lew's vows better. :wink:

I know many will disagree with me and like this strip just fine. Nothing wrong with that. I'm just a lone champion for Locke and Ms. Mudd. I honestly believe their love is truer than what's going on here.

Hopefully in the new year, my drawing skills will improve enough so I can bring Locke back home to his family. Sadly, right now I can only draw glorified stick figures. :cry:
Correction! I have Llewellyn's Exact words here from the comic cougartiger is paraphrasing. *clears throught* And I quote,"He was a dashing twenty-something pirate when Ms. Mudd was a LONELY
first-year law student. I do believe he was a the GREAT LOVE OF HER YOUTH."

I don't see the word "life" anywhere in this comic. To make it clear I am not paraphrasing. I have the comic right here in my Perpetual Motion book and it is as clear as day and night.

Ozyfox

Postby Ozyfox » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:02 pm

There are not Nazis. Just people who know German.
Thank you

cougartiger

Postby cougartiger » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:12 pm

Correction! I have Llewellyn's Exact words here from the comic cougartiger is paraphrasing. *clears throught* And I quote,"He was a dashing twenty-something pirate when Ms. Mudd was a LONELY
first-year law student. I do believe he was a the GREAT LOVE OF HER YOUTH."

I don't see the word "life" anywhere in this comic. To make it clear I am not paraphrasing. I have the comic right here in my Perpetual Motion book and it is as clear as day and night.
Why do you think I am unaware of that particular strip? Lew's statement is just a personal opinion he has. Nothing more should be implied.

I wasn't paraphrasing. I was just coming to my own conclusions based on evidence given in the entire comic, not just one strip.

Years after Locke left, Ms. Mudd still has pictures of Locke around the house. She then hides them from Millie untill Millie finds one. After telling Millie about Locke, the pictures re-appear around the house, including one on Ms. Mudd's nightstand.

She is clearly still in love with Locke but knows they can never be together. So, she slowly moves on with Lew.

Now, in my poem, Ms. Mudd becomes conflicted with her feelings for both Lew and Locke but goes with Locke after he asks for her to let him try to win her over again. When he succeeds, Lewellyn is both understanding and accepting of this.

As for the current storyline, if Locke were an adult again, the wedding would likely be called off untill the three of them could sort things out. Having a second chance at their relationship might be a deal breaker.

I plan on re-writing my poem as a short story which would allow me to go into more details on certain parts.

So, to conclude, DCS wants Lewellyn and Ms. Mudd married. I want Ms. Mudd and Locke married. DCS will get her way and eventually, I will get my way. Both are vaild.

An exact quote from DCS, "I absolutely love your poem!" She is clearly fine with an alternate ending for the strip. Many clearly are not. That's fine. It's all good.

BTW, it seems no one knows what to make of my poem. Over 100 people have looked at it and 3 have downloaded it but there is not one single comment about it either on my DA page or in the thread in the fanworks section.

Yeah, I understand it's long (prints out at 4 pages!) but honestly, some feedback would be nice.

Whatever. One fine day, my art skills will be good enough that I can end the strip the way I want. Untill then, I have that beautiful commission from DCS to keep me happy.

Segovia

Postby Segovia » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:38 pm

There is absolutly no pleasing you is there? Why do you fear change so much? You have to be the absoulte biggest O&M purist here.

Return to “O&M Strips”