Back to school (Ozy's summer vacation) - 20 Jan 04

Discussion of any of the archived O&M comics, and potential new ones should they ever come about.

Moderator:Æron

Tavis
Moderator (retired)

Postby Tavis » Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:11 pm

<a href='http://ozyandmillie.org/2004/om20040120.html' target='_blank'>Back to school (Ozy's summer vacation)</a><br><br><!--QuoteBegin-Author's Notes+--> <table border='0' align='center' width='95%' ><tr><td class='quotetop'><b>Quote:</b> (Author's Notes)</td></tr><tr><td class='quotebody'> The Sidewalk Cafe, where Llewellyn and Ms. Mudd hang out, is named for a coffee shop where I used to hang out as an undergraduate. The real one was very different. All the art in it contained a particularly foul profane word, in some form--it seemed to be a prerequisite for getting your art displayed there. And there was loud techno music, and it was open really late.<br><br>The Sidewalk Cafe in the strip is a more conventional sort of coffee house, like the ones I frequent now. Actually, in hindsight, it really should have had a terrible pun for a name, like so many other coffee shops. They all seem to have names like "Grounds For Coffee" or "Bean There, Done That." (Any nominations?)<br><br>The final panel in this strip originally had a caption at the top. I forget what it was. Then someone pointed out that it was completely superfluous. It's quite clear what Ozy is doing without my spelling it out. Sometimes cartooning is the art of figuring that out.<br><!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table> <!--QuoteEEnd--><br><br>I've occasionally wondered about the origins of the name of the cafe Simpson used in the strip, thinking it might be a reference to some popular or famous hangout in Seattle. I'm glad that was set straight. All in all, I can't seem to think of a better way to end that particular story arc than the way it has been done.<br><br>As for the way Ozy manages to get the swings for himself, I find that very funny, yet fear that children these days won't get to have that kind of experience. Playgrounds have changed a lot since I was in elementary school. The grand MEHTUL climbing towers and geodesic domes of Buckminster Fuller fame have been toppled over and replaced with plastic forts surrounded with wood chips or sand, and the swing sets of yesteryear are gone. Hm.. when I was in elementary school, there weren't any see-saws (or teeter-totters, if that is what you call them) in the playground, but you rarely get to see those outside of a physics diagram either. Much of this is done in the name of safety, and that is one thing our society has grown to want excessively. Still, it'd be cool to be able to go down one of those slides that's two or three stories tall again.

Return to “O&M Strips”