At dragon school: 23 January 2007

Discussion of any of the archived O&M comics, and potential new ones should they ever come about.

Moderator:Æron

Caoimhin
Location:In the magical land of Jersey... Watch your step and don't trip on the cows.

Postby Caoimhin » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:14 pm

I bet he sounds like Smaug from the original Hobbit animated movie.

PLEASE tell me someone here remembers that!
I don't remember it, as in I wasn't around when it was made, but I've seen it several times. I've also seen the Lord of the Rings animated one (the Ralph Bakshi one... Well its the only animated one :-P ) way back. Personally I like The Hobbit better than the LotR one from what I recall (I was young, wasn't really paying attention, and I remember a great deal of flashing lights on Saruman's part :shock: ).

Anyway, this should be quite interesting. Isolde's comment does seem... Ominous. Its been a while since theres been a storyline. I agree Professor Smaug looks like a cross between Smaug and the one from Spirited Away combined. No one can be expected to exactly replicate something (and who would want to? Even Bleedman doesn't copy things exactly, in fact thats the whole idea), perhaps it just resembles them because DCS's cartooning style happens to make it look like that. Although there does seem to be a deliberate similarity (how else would it work if it wasn't?).H

Glenn565

Postby Glenn565 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:19 am

The strip is obviously hinting that mammals and dragons DO get along, but there's a conspiracy against it. Since dragons are supposed to make conspiracies, not cover them up, Isolde would be doing it wrong to prove that they get along.
That...sounds convoluted. Way too convoluted.

Dr. Doog

Postby Dr. Doog » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:09 am

well, it's simply implying that they DO get along. that's the only reason he would have thought to ask it.
pants jesus
DCS should've ended the comic a year or two ago.

Severe Weather Eddie

Postby Severe Weather Eddie » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:12 am

Ooo...I'm looking forward to a storyline. I can't wait to see where this one goes.

And I never saw any of the "Hobbit" movies (though I read the book, and liked it) so I'll join Rikirk in saying that Smaug looks distinctly fox-ish.*

Burning Sheep Productions

Postby Burning Sheep Productions » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:12 am

I find this one cute, even though it isn't really...Q
Burning Sheep Productions

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:02 pm

I saw "The Hobbit" ages ago as a kid, and ended up catching it again a few years ago after having read the book. But I can't remember what Smaug looked like.

Go go gadget Google!

Comrade K

Postby Comrade K » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:09 pm

Maybe "Smaug" is not entirely a dragon and he's giving out this assignment because of his mixed ancestry.
Just a thought.

Fritz

Postby Fritz » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:42 pm

Maybe "Smaug" is not entirely a dragon and he's giving out this assignment because of his mixed ancestry.
Just a thought.
I wouldn't be surprised if that turned out to be true.

charliebonce

Postby charliebonce » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:05 am

...I appreciate that at dragon school they give you room to explore a topic through independent work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smaug
http://www.cedmagic.com/featured/tolkie ... belly.html

dcsimpson

Postby dcsimpson » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:49 am

Re: ...
I appreciate that at dragon school they give you room to explore a topic through independent work.
It's like my alma mater, the Evergreen State College. But with dragons.

Return to “O&M Strips”