The Wedding Or How O&M Crashed And Burned

Discuss everything related to Ozy and Millie.
cougartiger

Postby cougartiger » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:53 pm

Does not mean I have to like it. Nor does it mean I'm not allowed to point out logic flaws in the story. There is nothing wrong with stating one's opinion. I thought that's what this forum was for.
It is. But that also means you should be ready for people answering back, perhaps in a criticising way. The ones who put a little effort in their replies and reasoning are the ones you should consider, the rest disregard.
You're absolutely right. Still, I could've worded my original post a little better. I didn't intend for it to sound like a rant. Lesson learned and let's move on.

Baconsticks

Postby Baconsticks » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:06 pm

Rant or not, It's still true.

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:20 pm

One: DCS has established that this is a world in wich magic works so it's possible Locke could just take some kind of aging potion. I've actually come up with several more ways to make Locke an adult again so it's possible.

Two: In the poem I wrote, the people of Locke's world stop aging at age 10. From that point on they have another 10 years (like a countdown) before they physically ascend to the next dimension. That works for me anyway.
This is precisely what I mean by a contrived solution. The first one is a 'magic wand' device - in a completely unprecedented event, something appears which makes everything okay. The other is an 'unlikely physics' device - the world arbitrarily works like this therefore everything is fine. (I made up the names.)
It's a fantasy world. All things are possible.
But not everything is dramatically appropriate.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

rabid_fox

Postby rabid_fox » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:37 am

You know, I have a poem somewhere called "Everything is fine" about someone having a complete mental breakdown in a bathtub. It's read out by a Welsh-American (as in, an American who moved to Wales when he was like 9 and has the craziest voice ever because of it) over a sinister ocarina riff.

Good times and relevant as hell.

In my dream ending, Ms. Mudd would've moved away (Why did you move here? For the job, for the job). So mundane, so real, so quietly devastating.
Thither

Tom Flapwell

Postby Tom Flapwell » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:28 am

Or comedically, for that matter.
See other much-maligned creatures in my webcomic: http://downscale.comicgenesis.com

Tarukai

Postby Tarukai » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:59 am

I never meant for my response to imply that you had to like or agree with things.

but yes, it sounded like more of a rant, so I was just responding in my own way.

apologies.

also, if you would be so kind as to introduce me to that via email, Dermy, I would be very much joyfilled.
[00:34:00] <Dermy> I do love to manipulate the standard rules of language for opportunistic effect
[00:34:06] <Dermy> Like a grammar hyena, I am
[00:34:16] <Dermy> Munching on the tasty entrails of tradition

[22:26:20] <MuffinSticks> I'm a chocolate muffin with white ears and a striped black and red tail
[22:26:35] <MuffinSticks> And exactly 6 chips

My DA account, for those who care enough to look/click/etc.
And my FA account as well!

rabid_fox

Postby rabid_fox » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:01 am

Pass a secret private message note to me containing an email cuntdrug jew and I'll wankball the songslut to your eargina.
Thither

cougartiger

Postby cougartiger » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:41 am

I never meant for my response to imply that you had to like or agree with things.

but yes, it sounded like more of a rant, so I was just responding in my own way.

apologies.
Understood and apology accepted.

cougartiger

Postby cougartiger » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:13 am

One: DCS has established that this is a world in wich magic works so it's possible Locke could just take some kind of aging potion. I've actually come up with several more ways to make Locke an adult again so it's possible.

Two: In the poem I wrote, the people of Locke's world stop aging at age 10. From that point on they have another 10 years (like a countdown) before they physically ascend to the next dimension. That works for me anyway.
This is precisely what I mean by a contrived solution. The first one is a 'magic wand' device - in a completely unprecedented event, something appears which makes everything okay. The other is an 'unlikely physics' device - the world arbitrarily works like this therefore everything is fine. (I made up the names.)
It's a fantasy world. All things are possible.
First, the plot devices you mention have been used countless times in various mediums. You may not agree with (or like) them but such "band-aid solutions" are as common in fiction as breathing.

Second, I agree. Still doesn't mean Locke's return is impossible. It's at least as possible as Lewellyn launching windmills into orbit. :)

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:50 am

First, the plot devices you mention have been used countless times in various mediums. You may not agree with (or like) them but such "band-aid solutions" are as common in fiction as breathing.
And usually the audience sees the flaws in them and how it messes up the story that had developed. Just because something is possible doesn't mean it will be plausible.

Rooster

Postby Rooster » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:24 pm

Doog, DCS is bisexual. Her* gender complication does not seem to hinder her RL love.
What's DCS's sexuality got to do with his writing? I'm bisexual but it very rarely even gets mentioned in my strip because none of my characters are.

Also, a comic shouldn't have to be a reflection of self. It should be a story, one where the characters come to life and take on a life of their own. The excuse of "it isn't me anymore" is a pretty selfish one, but then it is his cartoon.

It almost seems as if Dave just wants out and is rushing the strip a'la "Jericho"...making a quick ending that'll satisfy most of the adoring masses.

At the end of the day, if you don't like the ending to something then just rewrite it in your head. That is the beuty of imagination. I for example, watched a really good version of The Happening the other day where I re-wrote the film in my head while on the bus. It was a great film if you remove the plot, script, and actors.

LewisTheTank

Postby LewisTheTank » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:25 am

**sigh**
"Do you really think you have what it takes? Do you?"

Tom Flapwell

Postby Tom Flapwell » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:33 pm

What's DCS's sexuality got to do with his writing?
Only poking holes in the idea that DCS can't write same-sex romance due to a lack of interest in it in RL.
See other much-maligned creatures in my webcomic: http://downscale.comicgenesis.com

cougartiger

Postby cougartiger » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:39 am

And usually the audience sees the flaws in them and how it messes up the story that had developed. Just because something is possible doesn't mean it will be plausible.
Tell that to Walt Disney who created the "plausible impossible". :smile:

There are many ways Locke and Ms. Mudd could be reunited and live happily ever after. Some work better than others. None of them will satify everybody.

Perhaps the best way would be to simply have Locke re-appear as an adult with no memory of how he got that way. That way everyone could use their imagination as to what happened. Yeah, it's also a bit of a cheat and only a little better than the infamous season 9 ending of Dallas but like that ending, it solves more problems than it creates. It also leaves a nice mystery that could be followed up eventually.

Anyway, I have my poem where Locke and Ms. Mudd marry, have more children and grow very old and happy together. I am content with that ending and with the wedding portrait DCS did for me.

cougartiger

Postby cougartiger » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:53 am

What's DCS's sexuality got to do with his writing?
Only poking holes in the idea that DCS can't write same-sex romance due to a lack of interest in it in RL.
Yet, DCS did so wonderfully with the "about you" storyline. From there though, DCS seemed to throw the entire Mudd/Lewellyn romance right out the window.

My single biggest complaint is that they were shown so little together in the past year or two that it seemed like they were drifting apart which is why the wedding story rings false to me.

If DCS hadn't gotten so hung up on goth Felicia and just focused on O&M and their parents one she decided to end the strip, this story might be playing out better.

Hopefully, the O&M graphic novel DCS plans on doing in a few years will be better thought out.

Return to “Ozy and Millie”