Why like D.C. Simpson german words?

Discuss everything related to Ozy and Millie.
CptRaccoon
Location:I want to be in North America, but I'm in the stupid Germany. But Danmark is also nice.
Why like D.C. Simpson german words?

Postby CptRaccoon » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:23 pm

Hm hello my friends. In the comicstrip today found I a funny word.

You read right: Schadenfreude. It's a german word. Schadenfreude is an adjactiv and an adverb. Call me when I rong, I have a 3 in german. It says you love it outher people see in hurt.

But the funny thing is, D.C. Simpson use some german words. But why german words and no russian words? Or other words?
Forgive me my ERRORS.
I'm a german dork.
Wich want to be an american guy.
Pleas, Pleas, Pleas forgive me.

I want to know what u think about my comic i drawing in the past?
I've got draw 5 strips and 3 are alredy online and I want to say it was writing in the puparty phase who you like to have a girl, wich started last year and end this year in the week I got my E-Guitar (funy?). I say that bevause I won't that u think I'm an psycho or something. It is full of fellings I have at this time!
http://cptraccoon.cp.funpic.de/Shit%20H ... 00001.html
And please give me a feedback!

I love millie she is the sweetest girl of the world

Neil Armstrang said when he landed on the moon:
"that's one more slice of Lasagna"

Tom Flapwell

Postby Tom Flapwell » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:38 pm

"Schadenfreude" appears in English dictionaries. So do "weltanschauung" and "zeitgeist" (without capital letters). Simply put, Germany has had a longer history of influence on the English-speaking world than Russia has.
See other much-maligned creatures in my webcomic: http://downscale.comicgenesis.com

CptRaccoon
Location:I want to be in North America, but I'm in the stupid Germany. But Danmark is also nice.

Postby CptRaccoon » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:36 pm

But this is not a good reason.

It is pro and contra. And why e doesn't use words with ß?
Forgive me my ERRORS.
I'm a german dork.

I've got draw 5 strips and 3 are alredy online and I want to say it was writing in the puparty phase who you like to have a girl, wich started last year and end this year in the week I got my E-Guitar (funy?). I say that bevause I won't that u think I'm an psycho or something. It is full of fellings I have at this time!

CptRaccoon

Postby CptRaccoon » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:46 pm

"Schadenfreude" appears in English dictionaries. So do "weltanschauung" and "zeitgeist" (without capital letters). Simply put, Germany has had a longer history of influence on the English-speaking world than Russia has.
English dictionary? In a translatorbook german-danish danish-german are some english words. And why Zeitgeist and Weltanschauung? Many more importen german words are better how "Sehnsucht" "Genosse" "Geselle" "Meister" than this two stupid words. ANd seconds. English speaking people can't speak german words wich are stadning in a dictionary. The right german are a perfect gramatikal language. I mean you need listing the words to be speak it.
Forgive me my ERRORS.
I'm a german dork.

Tom Flapwell

Postby Tom Flapwell » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:04 pm

DCS and the dictionaries use the word because many other English speakers use the word. If you want to know why relatively few English speakers use certain other German or Russian words, I couldn't tell you.
See other much-maligned creatures in my webcomic: http://downscale.comicgenesis.com

Softpaw

Postby Softpaw » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:06 pm

The English language has a long history of assimilating words from other languages. I heard a linguist describe the phenomenon by saying "English likes to beat up other languages in dark alleyways and steal their words".

So, in English literature, you'll find countless words that are taken directly from a wide range of other languages, and even more words that have roots in other languages. German, Spanish, and French are where the majority of these words come from, and as Tom said, German has had more influence on English than any other single language.

In this case, Schadenfreude was used because it's relevant to the dialogue, and people generally know what it is. I rather doubt that it was any sort of attempt to sound German, it just happens to be a "valid" term in both languages.

CameronCN

Postby CameronCN » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:32 pm

Basically, schadenfreude is an English word too. We also have a bunch of French words we've taken for ourselves too--it's just what we do. If it makes you feel any better, we always pronounce them wrong. :grin:
My DeviantArt | My LiveJournal | My Webcomic
Cameron is awesome because:
-Because he has an artistic style that is both complex and minimalist. This is profound!
-He once drew me as a roadrunner. It was an actual honest to god feral roadrunner, but a roadrunner nonetheless!
-He lives in Idaho among the wilderness and stuff and I envy him for that. 3:
-He is probably one of the most personable artists on here.
-I think he's the only one of us on here who drew a fanart that made it as a guest strip on O&M. This is an accomplishment!

CptRaccoon

Postby CptRaccoon » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:50 pm

But by all the words why doesn't hove you the word "Sehnsucht"? It can't be translat in english. And it is very impotrend word by feelings.
Forgive me my ERRORS.
I'm a german dork.

Fritz

Postby Fritz » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:54 pm

Just BECAUSE.

CptRaccoon

Postby CptRaccoon » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:00 pm

OKay. But why isn't german the international speak. I mean a german word of the right german. Al letters are right. Al vokals standing on the right place. German is a perfect articulated and correct grammatical language.
English is a kauderwelsch. By the things what you say!
Forgive me my ERRORS.
I'm a german dork.

CameronCN

Postby CameronCN » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:21 pm

OKay. But why isn't german the international speak.
Because we won the war. :-P

Actually, it's because we're the biggest economy, and because lots of people speak it already because of British colonization. Also, German is just hard to pronounce--too many glutterals.

Also, it's the very haphazard nature of English that makes it so interesting, you see. We have the most great literature of any language just because it's so complicated and has so many nuances. We borrow words from other languages when they are the best ones to describe something that was explained in that language. Besides Schadenfreude, an even better example is the French word deja-vu. We use it all the time, so much so that we don't even think of it as being French anymore. At the same time, let me bet that all your computer words over in Germany are English words. :wink:
My DeviantArt | My LiveJournal | My Webcomic
Cameron is awesome because:
-Because he has an artistic style that is both complex and minimalist. This is profound!
-He once drew me as a roadrunner. It was an actual honest to god feral roadrunner, but a roadrunner nonetheless!
-He lives in Idaho among the wilderness and stuff and I envy him for that. 3:
-He is probably one of the most personable artists on here.
-I think he's the only one of us on here who drew a fanart that made it as a guest strip on O&M. This is an accomplishment!

Tom Flapwell

Postby Tom Flapwell » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:36 pm

Might I add that English has more than thrice as many words as the second most word-filled language, German.

CptRaccoon

Postby CptRaccoon » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:43 pm

OKay. But why isn't german the international speak.
Because we won the war. :-P

Actually, it's because we're the biggest economy, and because lots of people speak it already because of British colonization. Also, German is just hard to pronounce--too many glutterals.

Also, it's the very haphazard nature of English that makes it so interesting, you see. We have the most great literature of any language just because it's so complicated and has so many nuances. We borrow words from other languages when they are the best ones to describe something that was explained in that language. Besides Schadenfreude, an even better example is the French word deja-vu. We use it all the time, so much so that we don't even think of it as being French anymore. At the same time, let me bet that all your computer words over in Germany are English words. :wink:
I thing Texas or a other staate was in the history the quastion what the Official language is. And one answer has need to be german. But the answer wasn't.

ANd the computers are english because the english people creat the computer. ANd exacöy. The computer isn't of english but of on and off 1 and 0. When a german people createt the computer the computer is of german. ANd the Sovjet computers are fo russian. no of english of russian. Two language are of the world, wich program the computer. Egnlish and Russian.
Forgive me my ERRORS.
I'm a german dork.

CptRaccoon

Postby CptRaccoon » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:45 pm

Might I add that English has more than thrice as many words as the second most word-filled language, German.
Hm... But you kann in german make many new words. I doesn't think all german words are in the "Duden".
And deja-vu is a word wich use in german to. We have also some french words.
Forgive me my ERRORS.
I'm a german dork.

Rievan

Postby Rievan » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:49 pm

English is a flexible language. By changing a single word or even grammar the entire meaning changes. I would also say English is nonlinear. I think I asked you about his when you first joined.
Ecce Homo

Return to “Ozy and Millie”