Why like D.C. Simpson german words?

Discuss everything related to Ozy and Millie.
nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:09 pm

DAMNIT! Nickspoon beat me to it.

Anyway, comparing German and English, I would say German is more flexible. It has more different sounds (German has tz, pf, ch, ö, ü, eu/äu as opposed to English which only really has th as a unique sound), so it has far less homophones than English. Furthermore, German grammar is richer than English grammar, possessing 4 different cases. These allow for more flexibility because they allow a freeer word order than English does. Compare:

Der mann seht den hund. - The man sees the dog.
Den hund seht der mann. - The man sees the dog.

And finally, German has a history of re-using words to create new words, like most compound words. English tends to borrow more words, making it dependent on other languages for innovation.
A little freer, yes, but the word order is still very strict. You couldn't say "Der Mann den Hund sieht", because as far as I'm aware that's incorrect.

Now Latin, that's a language with flexibility. Six cases, word order has almost no meaning (except when there's ambiguity, which is very rarely).
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

CptRaccoon
Location:I want to be in North America, but I'm in the stupid Germany. But Danmark is also nice.

Postby CptRaccoon » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:45 pm

DAMNIT! Nickspoon beat me to it.

Anyway, comparing German and English, I would say German is more flexible. It has more different sounds (German has tz, pf, ch, ö, ü, eu/äu as opposed to English which only really has th as a unique sound), so it has far less homophones than English. Furthermore, German grammar is richer than English grammar, possessing 4 different cases. These allow for more flexibility because they allow a freeer word order than English does. Compare:

Der mann seht den hund. - The man sees the dog.
Den hund seht der mann. - The man sees the dog.

And finally, German has a history of re-using words to create new words, like most compound words. English tends to borrow more words, making it dependent on other languages for innovation.
A little freer, yes, but the word order is still very strict. You couldn't say "Der Mann den Hund sieht", because as far as I'm aware that's incorrect.

Now Latin, that's a language with flexibility. Six cases, word order has almost no meaning (except when there's ambiguity, which is very rarely).

Der Man der den Hund sieht.

And latain is no good. Nobody knows really how latin man pronounces.
Forgive me my ERRORS.
I'm a german dork.
Wich want to be an american guy.
Pleas, Pleas, Pleas forgive me.

I want to know what u think about my comic i drawing in the past?
I've got draw 5 strips and 3 are alredy online and I want to say it was writing in the puparty phase who you like to have a girl, wich started last year and end this year in the week I got my E-Guitar (funy?). I say that bevause I won't that u think I'm an psycho or something. It is full of fellings I have at this time!
http://cptraccoon.cp.funpic.de/Shit%20H ... 00001.html
And please give me a feedback!

I love millie she is the sweetest girl of the world

Neil Armstrang said when he landed on the moon:
"that's one more slice of Lasagna"

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:40 pm

Latin is not a forgotten language like Ancient Egyptian. It has constantly been used since it came about, the Romans spreading it throughout empires. Just because they're all dead now, doesn't mean that the oral language has been erased from memory. You don't have to learn to pronounce Latin from an actual Roman.
If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place. (Revelation 2:5, NIV)
Josh Woodward, Ohio Singer/Songwriter, offers his songs for free. Give him a listen.

CptRaccoon
Location:I want to be in North America, but I'm in the stupid Germany. But Danmark is also nice.

Postby CptRaccoon » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:56 pm

Latin is not a forgotten language like Ancient Egyptian. It has constantly been used since it came about, the Romans spreading it throughout empires. Just because they're all dead now, doesn't mean that the oral language has been erased from memory. You don't have to learn to pronounce Latin from an actual Roman.
I doesn't mean write a mean speak. the spoken language, nobody knows realy how spoken latin but many people can write latin. This is the point nobody knows realy how spoken but how writing. Russian know people to spoken. But the most doesn't know to writing hahaha.

This is what I mean, I mean listingen when a german a latin word says and when a english a latin word says, you will see that sounds little diferent.
Forgive me my ERRORS.
I'm a german dork.
Wich want to be an american guy.
Pleas, Pleas, Pleas forgive me.

I want to know what u think about my comic i drawing in the past?
I've got draw 5 strips and 3 are alredy online and I want to say it was writing in the puparty phase who you like to have a girl, wich started last year and end this year in the week I got my E-Guitar (funy?). I say that bevause I won't that u think I'm an psycho or something. It is full of fellings I have at this time!
http://cptraccoon.cp.funpic.de/Shit%20H ... 00001.html
And please give me a feedback!

I love millie she is the sweetest girl of the world

Neil Armstrang said when he landed on the moon:
"that's one more slice of Lasagna"

Shimizu

Postby Shimizu » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:07 pm

The English language has a long history of assimilating words from other languages. I heard a linguist describe the phenomenon by saying "English likes to beat up other languages in dark alleyways and steal their words".
As does German and a dozen other languages too. ^^
There is even a group, consisting of language proffesors, translators, ..., that tries to stop the americanisation of the german language, because of the mass of english words adopted into the german language.
OKay. But why isn't german the international speak. I mean a german word of the right german. Al letters are right. Al vokals standing on the right place. German is a perfect articulated and correct grammatical language.
English is a kauderwelsch. By the things what you say!
Because the majority can't use it right. Sad, but true.
Also, it's the very haphazard nature of English that makes it so interesting, you see. We have the most great literature of any language just because it's so complicated and has so many nuances. We borrow words from other languages when they are the best ones to describe something that was explained in that language. Besides Schadenfreude, an even better example is the French word deja-vu. We use it all the time, so much so that we don't even think of it as being French anymore. At the same time, let me bet that all your computer words over in Germany are English words. :wink:
Ahh.. i think the reason you have the "most great literature" is because of the mass of english speaking people. Literatur looses quality through translation most of the time. I don't think the language is the main reason. And if English has the best literature.. well that's questionable too.
English is a flexible language. By changing a single word or even grammar the entire meaning changes. I would also say English is nonlinear. I think I asked you about his when you first joined.
1) Ich rate, ihm zu helfen. - I advise to help him.
2) Ich rate ihm, zu helfen. - I advise him to help.
3) Ich rate ihm zu helfen. 1 or 2

So yeah... we do such things with punctuation marks. 8)
There are more extreme examples. Wouldn't describe that as flexible through. More like overly complicated. German is a very thoroughly structured language.

Baconsticks

Postby Baconsticks » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:29 pm

Reading this thread, you would think no one here has seen a language tree.

English and German sound similar because English technically comes from German. This is why they are both called "Germanic". Latin, and all of the languages from it (called romance languages) sound different because they are part of the "Italic" family.

And Cameron, many English works are translations.

Shimizu

Postby Shimizu » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:35 pm

Reading this thread, you would think no one here has seen a language tree.

English and German sound similar because English technically comes from German. This is why they are both called "Germanic". Latin, and all of the languages from it (called romance languages) sound different because they are part of the "Italic" family.

And Cameron, many English works are translations.
But "Schadenfreude" is a german word that was adopted into English, after they had become different languages, right? Don't think the Anglo-Saxons (they were the ones who settled down in England, weren't they?) had that word back then...
even trough i heard they were a big bunch of barbaric jerks, as all germanic tribes :P

Baconsticks

Postby Baconsticks » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:56 pm

Words are borrowed by other languages all the time. This is no exception.

Segovia

Postby Segovia » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:30 pm

No, you're pretty much right on the english translation of that word. I myself was a German dork back in Middle School. Still am even now that I'm taking Spanish in High School.

rabid_fox

Postby rabid_fox » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:36 pm

English is for stupids.
Thither

MuffinSticks

Postby MuffinSticks » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:07 pm

I like to use words from other languages because it's fun, Schadenfreude being one of them. True true, that English is a grammatically and logically messed up language. But German isn't the only one that makes sense. I've been learning Russian lately, and I took two years of German in high school, and they are both logically sensible in their grammar and stuff. And I can confidently say Russian is more flexible than German. You can literally take any sentence or clause, take the object, direct object, indirect object, preposition, whatever, and throw them in any order you want. The separate phrases are typically ordered by importance or stress.
No, you're pretty much right on the english translation of that word. I myself was a German dork back in Middle School. Still am even now that I'm taking Spanish in High School.
And you should revise your signature, since we're on the topic of German. I believe it should be "Warum sagst du, dass ich wahnsinnig bin?"
КТО ТРОГАЛ МОЯ ПУШКА

<Muninn> Too furry for saneville, too girly for boystown
see, how far raine dog got placed in the background? take that you blue bitch

Muninn
Moderator (retired)

Postby Muninn » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:26 pm

You can literally take any sentence or clause, take the object, direct object, indirect object, preposition, whatever, and throw them in any order you want. The separate phrases are typically ordered by importance or stress.
Is this why people say Tolstoy in his original Russian is some of the most poetic and imaginative prose ever written? Because of the flexibility and open-endedness of the language?

nickspoon
Moderator (retired)

Postby nickspoon » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:40 pm

Is this why people say Tolstoy in his original Russian is some of the most poetic and imaginative prose ever written? Because of the flexibility and open-endedness of the language?
One of the reasons that Russian prose is so difficult to translate into English is this flexibility of word order. It's the same in Latin, and that is one of the reasons why both languages are highly poetic. I studied Latin verse for a year, and it's tricky stuff, but the language allows you to do quite complex poetic things, even in prose when (in English) plainer language is usually called for.

Segovia

Postby Segovia » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:16 am

And you should revise your signature, since we're on the topic of German. I believe it should be "Warum sagst du, dass ich wahnsinnig bin?"
Nah I don't think that I will do that. However I did change my signiture. It is now "Yo tengo ambre para agua." I know it doesn't makes sense but if it did then it wouldn't be funny. Let's see if you can correct spanish.

Dr. Sticks

Postby Dr. Sticks » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:56 am

"ambre" isn't in my spanish-english dictionary. Unless you meant to say hombre, in which case you're saying "I have a friend for water". A wise choice, as if you're in the desert, you can last by draining the water from your friend's body, which is composed of ~70% water.
http://www.spingain.com/?ref=146518
Well put doog. You never posted anything offensive whatsoever
we know she'll be back, like a good bitch should.

Return to “Ozy and Millie”