Other D.C.Simpson O&M art work

Discuss everything related to Ozy and Millie.
CodeCat

Postby CodeCat » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:32 pm

Which reminds me, I need to update the archives to the new site style. Sigh.
I take it the pages aren't dynamically generated with PHP and centralised CSS then?
Furries? Are they the nutters that pretend to be animals and draw humans that look like animals? Christ, I sink my head into my paws... -Rooster

dcsimpson

Postby dcsimpson » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:51 pm

I take it the pages aren't dynamically generated with PHP and centralised CSS then?
I wish. I don't know how to do any of that stuff. :)

Sliver

Postby Sliver » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:54 pm

My offer still stands to code an archive script for you :)

dcsimpson

Postby dcsimpson » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:59 pm

I haven't had a lot of luck getting outside scripts to play nice with Keenspot scripts. I'd hate to put you to that much trouble for something we might not be able to make work.

Sliver

Postby Sliver » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:08 pm

I haven't had a lot of luck getting outside scripts to play nice with Keenspot scripts. I'd hate to put you to that much trouble for something we might not be able to make work.
I'm very good at making stuff work, even on difficult servers. I just need to know if it has PHP and MySQL support then you could have a nice search enabled archive system :)

I don't mind the work, I'm not working on any major PHP projects anymore so I could use the practice :)

CodeCat

Postby CodeCat » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:14 pm

Why bother to write one? HouseRules has one ready-made, I'd just need to fix it up a bit so you're able to add completely new strips. But I'm willing to help out in making it work. :)
Furries? Are they the nutters that pretend to be animals and draw humans that look like animals? Christ, I sink my head into my paws... -Rooster

Sliver

Postby Sliver » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:29 pm

Why bother to write one? HouseRules has one ready-made, I'd just need to fix it up a bit so you're able to add completely new strips. But I'm willing to help out in making it work. :)
Just finished witting one, but would love to see how you handled some aspects like sunday strips in the middle of a storyline and non-standard filenames. Are you using MySQL? Also, how did you calculate the previous/next strip?

Holyman83
Location:A bluish sphere in space orbiting a star in the Milky Way

Postby Holyman83 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:32 pm

Stop it both of you

your making me drool :P

I actually, don't know PHP. I know Mysql thou. I have not needed to use PHP yet. Most of the stuff I make is a thick client (installed software) instead of a thin client (internet software)

CodeCat

Postby CodeCat » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:34 pm

Sunday strips are done by interrupting the storyline and starting another with a NULL name. This causes the script not to show a story name, but continue the previous one instead.

Calculating the previous strip is a matter of selecting all strips whose date is before the current one, and then ordering them by date:

Code: Select all

"SELECT YEAR(date) AS year, MONTH(date) AS month, DAYOFMONTH(date) AS day, title FROM strips WHERE date < '" . $year . "-" . $month . "-" . $day . "' ORDER BY date DESC"
You can use LIMIT 1 to get that specific one, but since the strips on HR are pre-stored, and the file existence determines whether the strip is there, it first iterates through the results and returns the first one that has an existing file name.

Getting the next works the same way.

Sliver

Postby Sliver » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:03 am

Sunday strips are done by interrupting the storyline and starting another with a NULL name. This causes the script not to show a story name, but continue the previous one instead.
Sounds similar to how I handled it, except I showed the story as "Storyline cont.".
Calculating the previous strip is a matter of selecting all strips whose date is before the current one, and then ordering them by date:

Code: Select all

"SELECT YEAR(date) AS year, MONTH(date) AS month, DAYOFMONTH(date) AS day, title FROM strips WHERE date < '" . $year . "-" . $month . "-" . $day . "' ORDER BY date DESC"
You can use LIMIT 1 to get that specific one, but since the strips on HR are pre-stored, and the file existence determines whether the strip is there, it first iterates through the results and returns the first one that has an existing file name.

Getting the next works the same way.
So, you cycle through every strip until you reach the requested strip then use the previous results? Sounds kinda slow. Although I'm using three MySQL queries so I'm not so sure mine's any better LOL.

Edit: 2 MySQL queries

Sliver

Postby Sliver » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:18 am

Stop it both of you

your making me drool :P

I actually, don't know PHP. I know Mysql thou. I have not needed to use PHP yet. Most of the stuff I make is a thick client (installed software) instead of a thin client (internet software)
I couldn't code internet based software, tried, not my strong point :)

CodeCat

Postby CodeCat » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:32 am

So, you cycle through every strip until you reach the requested strip then use the previous results? Sounds kinda slow. Although I'm using three MySQL queries so I'm not so sure mine's any better LOL.
No, it gets all strips that are before the current strip, ordered by closest to current first. Then it iterates through the results in order, checking to see if the file for that strip exists for each one. If it finds a strip for which the file exists, it stops looking and returns that one.

gforce422

Postby gforce422 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:24 am

TECH TALK!!!!! *sounds the siren*

:P
gforce422 is awesome because:
-He made the absolute nicest comments about me in the other topic. I didn't respond to them yet, because I suck, but they are greatly appreciated! =D
-I would say he would also be a good runner up as one of the nicest people alive.
-He joined the IRC sometimes. But not enough, I say! Chat moar =D
-He is evidently only 18 year old but he could easily pass for 25. =D
-He is a drummer like *I* am and this in itself is cool.
Astro> gforce's smiles can cure cancer in kittens
Astro> the happiness radiating from your person is enough to solve tensor calculus
<mib_4do271>everything you touch explodes in pillows of happiness

Tom Flapwell

Postby Tom Flapwell » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:44 pm

Both Sliver and DCS himself are double-posting. Shall we consider the rule disbanded?
See other much-maligned creatures in my webcomic: http://downscale.comicgenesis.com

Sliver

Postby Sliver » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:45 pm

Both Sliver and DCS himself are double-posting. Shall we consider the rule disbanded?
We are?

Return to “Ozy and Millie”