New site design

Discuss everything related to Ozy and Millie.
The MAZZTer
Location:Destiny, several billion light years from Earth. Also known as Vancouver.

Postby The MAZZTer » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:20 pm

Yeah they should be down there methinks... oops DCS made a boo-boo! Image

While he's at it, the tooltip "comic" on each comic is sort of repetitive :P Maybe he could make the tooltip be the comic name. *hint hint*

Richard K Niner

Postby Richard K Niner » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:54 pm

What tooltip?
<center>Image
K9U | Dog House | Av rotation</center>

The MAZZTer
Location:Destiny, several billion light years from Earth. Also known as Vancouver.

Postby The MAZZTer » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:49 pm

A tooltip is a little bit of text that appears when you hold the mouse still over a specific area of the screen (IE the comic).

Richard K Niner

Postby Richard K Niner » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:47 pm

A tooltip is a little bit of text that appears when you hold the mouse still over a specific area of the screen (IE the comic).
I know what a tooltip is, but none of the comics yield any to me.
<center>Image

Doc Sigma

Postby Doc Sigma » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:40 am

Then you're using a poor browser. The tooltip for an image should always be the img tag's alt attribute, if it is defined. For O&M, this is always simply "comic". :)

baloki
Staff

Postby baloki » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:28 am

Then you're using a poor browser. The tooltip for an image should always be the img tag's alt attribute, if it is defined. For O&M, this is always simply "comic". :)
NONONONONONONONONONONONONO!

A tooltip should always be the title attribute, NEVER, EVER, EVER AN ALTERNATIVE TEXT ATTRIBUTE!

DEAR GOD, WHAT ARE THEY TEACHING YOUNGSTERS NOWADAYS :S

Do you believe in Lady Luck Now? Yeah Lady Bad Luck!

Richard K Niner

Postby Richard K Niner » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:16 am

Oddly enough, the only browser that uses the alt attribute in that manner is IE, and only if the title attribute itself is undefined.

It should be pointed out the alt attribute is described as a replacement for the images (i.e. a placeholder for it in non-graphical browsers such as lynx), not a supplement.
<center>Image

CodeCat

Postby CodeCat » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:03 pm

NONONONONONONONONONONONONO!

A tooltip should always be the title attribute, NEVER, EVER, EVER AN ALTERNATIVE TEXT ATTRIBUTE!

DEAR GOD, WHAT ARE THEY TEACHING YOUNGSTERS NOWADAYS :S
I feel your pain...
Furries? Are they the nutters that pretend to be animals and draw humans that look like animals? Christ, I sink my head into my paws... -Rooster

Mista_B

Postby Mista_B » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:24 pm

It should be pointed out the alt attribute is described as a replacement for the images (i.e. a placeholder for it in non-graphical browsers such as lynx), not a supplement.
Thing is, a lot of people these days use it as exactly that, a supplement to the image. Anarchy!
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." <br>-- Bertrand Russell

The MAZZTer

Postby The MAZZTer » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:14 pm

Yeah. IE uses the alternative image text as a tooltip. Firefox uses the title attribute instead, reserving the alternative text as well... an ALTERNATIVE to the image. Innovation!

http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_img.asp

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:27 pm

While he's at it, the tooltip "comic" on each comic is sort of repetitive :P Maybe he could make the tooltip be the comic name. *hint hint*
Wait, YOU use Internet Exploder? o_O That ain't good for your geek cred, man.

Also for the record, I take credit for introducing DCS to the TITLE attribute in the first place, thus bringing the Cast page quotes to the enlightened Firefox users of the world.

Richard K Niner

Postby Richard K Niner » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:34 pm

Thing is, a lot of people these days use it as exactly that, a supplement to the image. Anarchy!
This is because nobody reads the specs, and instead tests it against their browser. Which, for the majority, is still Aiee! (which was what almost everyone used until a few years ago...)
<center>Image

TravisFox

Postby TravisFox » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:50 pm

Wait, YOU use Internet Exploder? o_O That ain't good for your geek cred, man.

Also for the record, I take credit for introducing DCS to the TITLE attribute in the first place, thus bringing the Cast page quotes to the enlightened Firefox users of the world.
I never noticed the quotes on the cast page before...

Heee!
Mostly Harmless

The MAZZTer

Postby The MAZZTer » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:08 am

Found a slight bug.

The curved rectangle borders for the middle bit don't look right if the user isn't using the EXACT FONT at the EXACT SIZE specified in the page... notably, there is extra white space (not whitespace) below the bottom of the rectangle.

It's easiest to notice by increasing the font size, although I noticed it on Linux since it can't have all those silly proprietary fonts Microsoft has tricked everyone to using (or whatever the story is).

Return to “Ozy and Millie”