Looks like DCS needs help again D:

Discuss everything related to Ozy and Millie.
Lissou

Postby Lissou » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:32 am

I don't think DCS is really "asking us to give him money". He's saying "now would be a good time to buy stuff from me", which might sound similar, but it's different in that he's not begging for money or anything. you'll get something in return, something you want.
I already wanted a drawing. I saw this as a sign that asking now would be good.
Plus, it's not like he's forcing you. It's probably hard to admit you need money, but he's being respectable about it, he's not asking us to give him money for nothing. In any case, we'll get a book/print/drawing/shirt and pay for it, which is normal. And if we don't want any of the above, we don't need to give any money at all.

If you think it's a bit lame, well, that's your opinion, and you don't have to spend any of your money. My opinion is that it's not like asking for donations.

Derrick Fish

Postby Derrick Fish » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:54 am

I bought a book. If I had more money, I'd buy some original strips. Sadly, like a lot of webcartoonists, I DO have to work a full time job to pay the bills myself so I often have to make similar requests of my readers when life demands more than my day job provides for. It happens and it stinks.

I WISH more than anything that I could make my comic my full time gig (Then I could go back to running 7 strips a week again instead of the currently more manageable but lamer 3.), and I greatly hope D.C. has had more success at it than I have, but I will say that when you work from 9 to 6 everyday with frequent overtime, it becomes REALLY hard to push out a funny comic strip with regularity and every little bit helps.

Rooster

Postby Rooster » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:57 am

Dude, I agree totally. But I always feel proud afterwards that I did something voluntarily and for free :wag:

Personally, I'm never going to try and live off of my comic...primerily because I hate work, no matter what job, I know it's only for the money...If I start selling stuff then my cartoon would become my job and I would end up hating it as much as the one I have now.

IceDragon

Postby IceDragon » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:36 am

Maybe he should consider going out and getting a job like everyone else instead of begging for money off of his fans.

Just a thought.
Since when is a sale "begging for money"? I don't hear people saying, "Look at this. 12 pack of sodas are $3.00 each. I can't believe they have to beg for money". I mean, it's not like DCS said, "Hey, I'm moving in Sept, so get to donating." DCS did put an incentive.

I mean yes, DCS does have a little paypal button on the main page, but that is no different from a street musician with an open case in front of them. If you can spare something and do, that's great. The musician will still play at their best regardless.
I tried to buy an original, but I never get a response from DCS to see if it's still available :(
If this problem is still going on right now, that's probably because DCS can forget to follow up on emails about doing business. Or forget to check for new emails, I'm not sure which.

I would suggest sending the email again, but send a cc to DCS's other email. If that does not work, next time DCS has a new LJ entry, give a gentle reminder that you have an email about an original. Remember to be polite, and rest assured, you will get a prompt reply.

Tori

Postby Tori » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:29 pm

So, I sent two emails about ordering (a month apart), and still haven't heard back from him.

I sent the emails to the yahoo email address as listed on this page http://www.ozyandmillie.org/originals.html

Does somebody who has heard back and gotten an order for artwork processed have a better email address to reach him at?

I somebody suggested nudging him via an LJ comment, so I'll try that too.

datherman

Postby datherman » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:57 am

Glad to hear I'm not the only one having issues contacting him. After he replied to my email on August 28th, I waited a few days before sending off the money and emailing him back on September 3rd. Having not received a response since then, I have sent off two more emails, one on September 20th and one on the 24th. Really, I only wish to make sure that my check wasn't lost in the mail. I don't mind the wait, especially given the amount of work involved when moving, but I do want to balance my finances at some point.

My guess is that maybe Yahoo Mail went spastic and started sending everything to the spam folder.

Mr. Simpson, I hope this issue can be resolved soon. I apologize for not handling this through PM, but I wished to assure Tori that he wasn't alone here.

Danny S.

The MAZZTer
Location:Destiny, several billion light years from Earth. Also known as Vancouver.

Postby The MAZZTer » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:00 am

By all indications that seems to be his latest address... he should get GMail... I'm sure there are 42 and then some people here who'd send an invite his way if he wanted one...

Actually it puzzles me that he doesn't have some sort of domain mail set up (@ozyandmillie.org).

And you can always poke him through a PM if you want. Only problem is if he doesn't have options set to notify him he might not see it (I have that problem sometimes).

Although if you really want to creep him out you can do a WHOIS on his domain and call his home phone number, ha. >_>

[Edit: Err... the number he has entered isn't valid for US phone numbers... O_o

I still have ways of creeping out webcomic artists!

PEEKABOO

So yeah you could snail mail him, but it would be slooow and totally not Web 2.0. Yeah.
Last edited by The MAZZTer on Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:07 am, edited 3 times in total.

TyVulpine

Postby TyVulpine » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:01 am

Well, when I contacted him to buy the 11/15/02 strip, I put "Strip for 11/15" in the subject, so maybe if you put "artwork" as the subject (or something catchy), he'll be more likely to respond. I paid via Paypal which is safer and quicker than snail mail.

Richard K Niner

Postby Richard K Niner » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:05 am

he should get GMail
I thought he already did...
<center>Image
K9U | Dog House | Av rotation</center>

The MAZZTer
Location:Destiny, several billion light years from Earth. Also known as Vancouver.

Postby The MAZZTer » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:15 am

Oi, I'm an idiot, it's right in his whois:

Try that (image'd* for spambots, and because I have a really neat new script to play with).

* - If the image isn't pretty and transparent, get a real browser.** :X

** - "But I'm running IE6 and can't upgrade to IE7 because I'm a lame pirate/running Windows 2K/you suck!" Just download Firefox and an IE theme and quit whining.
Last edited by The MAZZTer on Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:21 pm, edited 5 times in total.

datherman

Postby datherman » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:18 am

Hm, wish I had known that a few weeks ago. Oh well, I sent him a PM so hopefully it'll get resolved.

I would have used Paypal, but I never bothered to set one up, not to mention that I only just got a real checking account a few months ago (I'm 17).

BTW, good to see you again MAZZTer.

Richard K Niner

Postby Richard K Niner » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:36 am

(image'd* for spambots).
What, you mean they can't read it off the image URL?

Also, I'm noticing a halo in that image, when you place it against a dark background. Such a waste.
<center>Image

The MAZZTer

Postby The MAZZTer » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:57 am

I don't think that's how spambots tend to get e-mails. Anyways, they have them smart enough now to do OCR on images. You can only obscure so much before it becomes a waste of effort. And I'm too lazy to use %## codes.

That appears to be some sort of bug (or it isn't implemented properly for 32-bit images) in imagerotate, as would be the cutting off of the bottom and right of the text... bah. Doesn't seem to be anything I can do about it.

Looks fine if you use a multiple of 90 for the rotate angle (it's the 10 in the url).

Rooster

Postby Rooster » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:47 am

Eh?

Richard K Niner

Postby Richard K Niner » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:36 am

I don't think that's how spambots tend to get e-mails.
If they're really stupid, they won't notice that it's being read out of a URL, just that they've found a string that looks like an email somewhere within the page. Because it is.
<center>Image

Return to “Ozy and Millie”